Air Conditioner Logic

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2007, 07:12 AM
Default Re: Air Conditioner Logic

Originally Posted by TeeSter
"Illuminating" as always Gary... (It illuminates something alright--a lack of class).
Sorry Tim, didn't have time to rewrite the manual that late, and I've posted this at least twice on GH already. Mainly thought you people living in cold winter areas would take note for cold engine starts to leave the Climate Control in the Off position to go EV sooner. I do it even here because it helps during cold starts year round.

"The heater pump is required to maintain engine coolant flow to the heater core for passenger compartment heating, when the engine is not running. The PCM commands the heater pump ON by energizing the heater pump control relay (HPCR).

The pump is commanded on when the following conditions are met:

The key is in ON/START position.

The engine coolant temperature is a minimum threshold 0C (32F) nominal.

The inferred ambient temperature is below a calibrated value 32C (90F) nominal.

The engine speed is below a calibrated threshold (nominal 4,000 RPM) including engine OFF.

The climate control mode switch is in any position other than OFF.

The pump is off when the climate control mode switch is set to OFF."

Page 1-63, Powertrain Control Module Outputs, ‘05 PCM/ED Manual.

GaryG

Old 04-23-2007, 07:41 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GaryG
Sorry Tim, didn't have time to rewrite the manual that late, and I've posted this at least twice on GH already. Mainly thought you people living in cold winter areas would take note for cold engine starts to leave the Climate Control in the Off position to go EV sooner. I do it even here because it helps during cold starts year round.

"The heater pump is required to maintain engine coolant flow to the heater core for passenger compartment heating, when the engine is not running. The PCM commands the heater pump ON by energizing the heater pump control relay (HPCR).

The pump is commanded on when the following conditions are met:

The key is in ON/START position.

The engine coolant temperature is a minimum threshold 0C (32F) nominal.

The inferred ambient temperature is below a calibrated value 32C (90F) nominal.

The engine speed is below a calibrated threshold (nominal 4,000 RPM) including engine OFF.

The climate control mode switch is in any position other than OFF.

The pump is off when the climate control mode switch is set to OFF."

Page 1-63, Powertrain Control Module Outputs, ‘05 PCM/ED Manual.

GaryG
Okay.....As I recall typically the SINGLE water pump is powered directly off the drive train on most vehicles... thats powered all the time of course.... It does make sense that in a hybrid with the engine off you'd have to provide some other method of sending "coolant" into the heater core or you'd have freezing passengers.

Old 04-23-2007, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by TeeSter
Okay.....As I recall typically the SINGLE water pump is powered directly off the drive train on most vehicles... thats powered all the time of course.... It does make sense that in a hybrid with the engine off you'd have to provide some other method of sending "coolant" into the heater core or you'd have freezing passengers.

Tim, I truly did not intend to be smart about you missing things. It's just the fact that I feel these and other things I posted prior, are important to saving fuel and money. You are a long time poster now, and I exspected support, and not a question. GPSmanI knew the answer I think. If not, he is truly stupid and lies about everything else he post.

It has come to the point I have to quote everything I say from a manual, but most get a free ride. Pravas Prime just gave me a warning for that post earlier, so I don't plan to post any more on GH. My son will graduate in June from MIT with a degree in sicence and engineering and computer science. I've made that point here before. He posted my MTE for me because I don't know how.

So long, and don't ever expect a response from me.

GaryG

Old 04-23-2007, 09:23 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GaryG
You are a long time poster now, and I exspected support, and not a question.
In my case I wasn't trying to express support/non-support or even question if you were right or wrong. I was simply trying to ask a question as to why it would be that way because I truly was "missing something" and didn't understand why. Thats why I used the term "I'm missing something" in the first place, to imply there was something I didn't understand.

I asked the question to learn and understand....