Audio And Other Issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2007, 07:29 PM
Enthusiast
Default Audio And Other Issues

Hi-

I have a 2007 FEH with the audiophile NAV unit/6 disk changer. It's FWD with 20" tires(they were on the vehicle when I got it). I've been having a few issues and while I have the Premium Care package, I want to be sure that I'm not missing something quite obvious:

(1) For the last two months, I've had an error message everytime I turn on the car which says "tire sensor fault" I took my FEH into a tire shop just to ensure that my air pressure was okay and they said that it matched what the recommended 35PSI. I've seen some discussion that this has to do with some kind of computer in the tire itself, but I'd just like to be sure.

(2) Whenever I use my A/C, my mileage is horribe(which I rather expect), but the ride also becomes extremely bumpy. Once I turn off the A/C, things smooth up again. Is this to be expected?

(3) How large is the tank of the 2007 FEH? My understanding is that it's a 16.5, but I don't think I've ever put more than 12.5 gallons of gas in the tank. And I usually fill up around the time the sensor tells me 5 miles until empty. Is there really almost 4 gallons that the sensor doesn't read?

(4) And my biggest and most annoying current issue. The sound in my audio system goes in and out. It'll be loud and then decrease dramatically and then suddenly pop forward again. I've tested various CDs, various slots in the changer, used the radio and alternated the passenger and driver speakers and the issue persists. I thought at first that maybe it was some kind of odd power drain issue from one of the cigarette lighters(I had a bluetooth headset charger in one), but eventually even without that in, the problem reoccurred. Is this something that can be solved with a reset of the system(if that's even possible) or is this a problem with the audio system?

Thanks for the assistance.

Old 09-22-2007, 08:54 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Audio And Other Issues

1. The original rims came with the TPMS (Tire pressure monitoring system) sensors attached. I assume the previous owner replaced the factory rims and never bothered to swap the sensors. The warning light will remain unless you either disable it or buy and install the sensors on the current wheels.

2. No idea why the AC would affect the ride of the vehicle. There doesn't even seem to be a remotely plausible reason for it. Also, gas mileage with the AC shouldn't be that bad. Even in stop and go driving with AC on the econ setting in 95 degree weather I still get about 22 MPG. That's what my Grand Cherokee got on the highway with a tailwind.

3. The tank is approximately 14.5 gallons if I recall. You will rarely be able to get more than 13.9 at the pump. The tank contains some "airspace" to allow for expansion of the fuel. Once you get to 0 Miles to Empty you actually have about 2 gallons left in the tank (give or take).

4. Go into the audio options of the NAV radio. Press the MENU button then choose (I think) Audio Options. There is a setting that adjusts the volume according to the vehicle speed. Turn it off. Sorry I can't remember what it is called but the name should be self explanatory.

Last edited by Tim K; 09-22-2007 at 09:01 PM.
Old 09-22-2007, 09:01 PM
Enthusiast

(1) I bought the vehicle from a Ford dealership(they'd bit the 20's on to demo it so I think I'll just take it back to them and make them fix it. Strange, I've had the FEH for just about six months and it only started doing it to two months ago...or so.

(2) Will check on the audio option. I thought I'd messed with all of them(including the bizarre "make it sound like we're playing music in an arena" one. It'd be great if the fix is just that easy. I've been looking for something that would just reset the system back to factory default, but haven't so far been able to find it.

Thanks!

Originally Posted by Tim K
1. The original rims came with the TPMS (Tire pressure monitoring system) sensors attached. I assume the previous owner replaced the factory rims and never bothered to swap the sensors. The warning light will remain unless you either disable it or buy and install the sensors on the current wheels.

2. No idea why the AC would affect the ride of the vehicle.

3. The tank is approximately 14.5 gallons. You will rarely be able to get more than 13.9 at the pump. The tank contains some "airspace" to allow for expansion of the fuel. Once you get to 0 Miles to Empty you actually have about 2 gallons left in the tank (give or take).

4. Go into the audio options of the NAV radio. There is a setting that adjusts the volume according to the vehicle speed. Turn it off. Sorry I can't remember what it is called.

Old 09-22-2007, 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by shawngf
(1) I bought the vehicle from a Ford dealership(they'd bit the 20's on to demo it so I think I'll just take it back to them and make them fix it. Strange, I've had the FEH for just about six months and it only started doing it to two months ago...or so.

Thanks!

If that is the case, then maybe they did swap the sensors and one of them just went bad. Either that or maybe you had it in for service and they rotated the tires.....do you have a full-size spare or just a donut? If they did a 5 wheel rotation and put one of the wheels with the TPMS sensor in the spare location that might be the cause.

Old 09-22-2007, 09:15 PM
Enthusiast

If that is the case, then maybe they did swap the sensors and one of them just went bad. Either that or maybe you had it in for service and they rotated the tires.....do you have a full-size spare or just a donut? If they did a 5 wheel rotation and put one of the wheels with the TPMS sensor in the spare location that might be the cause.
Haven't had it in for service yet, so I'm guessing you're right, maybe the sensor went bad. In any case, I would think the warranty should cover this.

Old 09-23-2007, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by shawngf
Hi-

I have a 2007 FEH with the audiophile NAV unit/6 disk changer. It's FWD with 20" tires(they were on the vehicle when I got it). I've been having a few issues and while I have the Premium Care package, I want to be sure that I'm not missing something quite obvious:

(2) Whenever I use my A/C, my mileage is horribe(which I rather expect), but the ride also becomes extremely bumpy. Once I turn off the A/C, things smooth up again. Is this to be expected?

(3) How large is the tank of the 2007 FEH? My understanding is that it's a 16.5, but I don't think I've ever put more than 12.5 gallons of gas in the tank. And I usually fill up around the time the sensor tells me 5 miles until empty. Is there really almost 4 gallons that the sensor doesn't read?

Thanks for the assistance.

1. On the highway traveling around 60-65mph I notice a loss of 1.5-1.8 mpg with the air-conditioning. In extremely warm and humid weather I use the pulse and glide method with the air conditioner in which it is on during the flat and downhills and I switch it off on the uphills in an attempt to minimize the mpg hit. Yes this method does get old and tiring after awhile. I have not experienced any "bumpy" riding conditions from use of the air conditioner.

2. I actually got 14.4 gallons into my Escape gas tank. I had 29 miles to empty warning on my vehicle. I filled it up and the fuel pump shut off (back pressure) at something like 12.75 gallons. I then laterally bumped the vehicle in an attempt to get air out of the tank and proceeded to put more fuel in. I repeated this process about every .25/.30 gallons and ended up squeezing an additonal 1.7 gallons after the fuel pump shut off from back pressure. Last week I did the same proceedure and squeezed an addtional 1.2 gallons into the tank after the back pressure shut off the fuel pump.

Hope this helps.

Old 09-23-2007, 10:28 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

When you are at 0 MTE, there is about 1.3 gallons left in the tank. I don't think it varies more than +/- .2 gallons from this.

I originally had an in-dash cd changer in my 05, but swapped in the navigation radio from an 07. In general the nav radio seems to have many gremlins that pop up from time to time.

The only thing I can think of with regards to the A/C would be in the active mount system not dampening the vibrations from turning the compressor on/off. Hard to prove, though.

Old 09-23-2007, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by Billyk

2. I actually got 14.4 gallons into my Escape gas tank. I had 29 miles to empty warning on my vehicle. I filled it up and the fuel pump shut off (back pressure) at something like 12.75 gallons. I then laterally bumped the vehicle in an attempt to get air out of the tank and proceeded to put more fuel in. I repeated this process about every .25/.30 gallons and ended up squeezing an additonal 1.7 gallons after the fuel pump shut off from back pressure. Last week I did the same proceedure and squeezed an addtional 1.2 gallons into the tank after the back pressure shut off the fuel pump.

Hope this helps.

Why? Just to see if you could or some other reason? I figure the tank was designed that way for a reason so I wouldn't do this regularly.

Old 09-24-2007, 01:11 PM

I don't think those tire sensors work particularly well.

I swapped the stock ECO tires & rims for 18" OZ wheels & Alenza tires (one of the best things I've done to my truck). I have never gotten around to swapping the low tire sensors however although I probably will one of these days.

It took the system over 30 miles after the swap to realize anything was wrong & then it said it had a tire sensor failure. Pushing the set button cancels out the error. Now, if occasionally gives the error when I start the truck & I cancel it out, but half the time it gives no error at all.

~John

Old 09-24-2007, 05:39 PM
Enthusiast

Why? Just to see if you could or some other reason? I figure the tank was designed that way for a reason so I wouldn't do this regularly.
Have to admit I'm guilty of it at times- although not so extreme- I do often try an few extra clicks. - currently driving a plain old SUV getting 14mpg- looking to get a FEH shortly- so I'm sick of buying gas SOO often. maybe an extra half gallon squeezed in there gets me another day- LOL.

Part of the reason modern gas station pumps shut off so early is to reduce the amount of vapors given off at the gas stations which add to smog.

BUT there's also a need to keep some air space in a tank for the vehicles well being. When gasoline heats up it expands a bunch. Modern fuel systems all all very tightly sealed to reduce those vapor emmisions that add to smog. So there needs to be some space in the tank to deal withextra preassure from gas heating up. First if it expands too much it will squirt out the gas cap. But also 'normal' cars (cant really speak to how the Atkinson engine works to be honest but i assume it's similar) pump more fuel to the injectors than they need all the time and the extra has to get pushed back into the tank- (I guess the ICE might even do that more than normal with all the turning off and on?) so too much pressure could foul that up.

Quick Reply: Audio And Other Issues

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands