AWD system on FEH?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2006, 04:48 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: AWD system on FEH?

Originally Posted by ElectronBob
The diffs are all open. Power to the rear wheels is controlled by a set of clutches in front of the rear diff. The max torque that can be sent to the rear wheels is 50%.
I've got a followup question on this. With an "open" differential, does that mean that if one wheel on a given axle is losing traction (spinning), then more torque is directed to the spinning wheel instead of the wheel that does have traction?

Does the AWD FEH have a system that applies the brake to the spinning wheel (using ABS) to force torque to the other wheel? I know that some AWD vehicles use this system to simulate a limited slip differential using the computer instead of clutches in the diff.

Old 08-01-2006, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by econoline
Does the AWD FEH have a system that applies the brake to the spinning wheel (using ABS) to force torque to the other wheel? I know that some AWD vehicles use this system to simulate a limited slip differential using the computer instead of clutches in the diff.
If you are referring to one of the computerized traction control systems the answer is that the FEH does not have one at this time as I understand it.

Old 08-02-2006, 04:52 AM

Originally Posted by econoline
I've got a followup question on this. With an "open" differential, does that mean that if one wheel on a given axle is losing traction (spinning), then more torque is directed to the spinning wheel instead of the wheel that does have traction?
Yes, and I learned that the hard way with my first Jeep. I was trying to save a few bucks, and did not order the limited-slip differentials. Later, in snow/ice, I got stuck with one wheel spinning and the other three just sitting there. Boy, it is embarrassing to be stuck like that in a Jeep. From then on, I always ordered the limited-slip differential option on all 4x4's.

Well, I guess until now.

Old 08-02-2006, 04:58 AM

What I'm referring to is electronic stability control. Its designed to prevent rollovers. I don't think its what you are talking about.