Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2020, 07:49 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Battery Push Button

It was discontinued on 2009+

Old 06-14-2020, 07:39 AM
Active Enthusiast

i actually took the side panel off for a hope that they still manufactured some for the 09 model;
but it was not and was Not suppose to be there.
(mine is an 09 and built in feb of 2009
so i built the charger.
good luck

Last edited by fglaustin; 06-14-2020 at 11:02 AM.
Old 09-23-2021, 09:25 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GaryG
It is to put a jump-start charge into the HV battery from your 12V battery. In other words if your HV battery somehow is discharged to a point it can't start the engine, you can use the low voltage 12V battery to put enough charge in the HV battery to start the engine. If your 12V battery is low also, you can jump charge that like a normal jump start with another vehicle. This push button jump start was eliminated in the '09 FEH.

GaryG
Is anyone aware of what would make it so that button doesn’t light up when you press it? I just had my PCM updated because I thought that may have been the cause but apparently that didn’t fix it. The HV battery is low after it sat for quite a while because the vehicle needed an ABS Module replaced and now it won’t crank or start. I thought the PCM replacement (used part that I got programmed at a shop) would rid of this problem but I was wrong and I’m still stuck with a vehicle that isn’t starting.

The shop is recommending to have it taken to a Ford dealership that has the HV battery charger to power it up but my understanding was that’s what that push button is for so I’d love some help.

Thanks ahead of time.

Old 09-23-2021, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by NDunfiltered
Is anyone aware of what would make it so that button doesn’t light up when you press it? I just had my PCM updated because I thought that may have been the cause but apparently that didn’t fix it. The HV battery is low after it sat for quite a while because the vehicle needed an ABS Module replaced and now it won’t crank or start. I thought the PCM replacement (used part that I got programmed at a shop) would rid of this problem but I was wrong and I’m still stuck with a vehicle that isn’t starting.

The shop is recommending to have it taken to a Ford dealership that has the HV battery charger to power it up but my understanding was that’s what that push button is for so I’d love some help.

Thanks ahead of time.
The jump starter is inside the battery. If replaced with 2009+ battery, it does not have a jump starter.

I'm not certain, but the HV jump should work independent of the PCM.

Your 12V needs to be very healthy and FULLY charged. Best results are had with a RUNNING jump vehicle attached to your 12V. The HV jump starter pulls a pretty heavy load, and it will throttle back the charge if the 12V drops too low.

If you don't have Forscan, you likely need it to get out of this.

Old 09-23-2021, 09:39 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by S Keith
The jump starter is inside the battery. If replaced with 2009+ battery, it does not have a jump starter.

I'm not certain, but the HV jump should work independent of the PCM.

Your 12V needs to be very healthy and FULLY charged. Best results are had with a RUNNING jump vehicle attached to your 12V. The HV jump starter pulls a pretty heavy load, and it will throttle back the charge if the 12V drops too low.

If you don't have Forscan, you likely need it to get out of this.
I honestly hate typing out long drawn out messages even though I type fast as hell. Is there any way you’d be willing to get on a call. If you could save me a trip to the dealership and paying excessive amounts to have them charge my HV battery and I could just relay the information to my current shop, I’ll Venmo/Zelle you money. Please let me know. I’ll PM you my number if you agree.

The shop I have it at doesn’t seem to specialize in hybrids so seem fairly unaware of certain things. They didn’t know my car has a push button either.

Old 09-23-2021, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by NDunfiltered
I honestly hate typing out long drawn out messages even though I type fast as hell. Is there any way you’d be willing to get on a call. If you could save me a trip to the dealership and paying excessive amounts to have them charge my HV battery and I could just relay the information to my current shop, I’ll Venmo/Zelle you money. Please let me know. I’ll PM you my number if you agree.

The shop I have it at doesn’t seem to specialize in hybrids so seem fairly unaware of certain things. They didn’t know my car has a push button either.
No.

In the HV Battery Jump thread, there is more than enough info to DIY for < $100. A non-hybrid shop would likely be insane to tackle it, and they'd be justified charging you many times more than that.

Old 09-23-2021, 11:05 AM
Active Enthusiast

I have little to no experience with electrical work and very little experience with vehicle repairs so I wouldn’t feel comfortable risking it (for my own personal safety and my vehicles.) But I read through a lot of that thread and since my car does have the push button HV battery jump start button, am I understanding that even if it doesn’t light up when I press the button that if I do multiple cycles of the jump start with a vehicle connected via jumper cables to my 12V that it will still charge it enough to get the car started?

Please confirm that I’m understanding correct.

Old 09-23-2021, 01:58 PM

Normal behavior is for the light to come on and stay on until the jump cycle is complete. At such time it will slow-flash several times and turn off. Your lack of light suggests it is inoperative. It is possible the LED doesn't function, but that would be pretty surprising.

You have not indicated if the battery has ever been replaced. Again, if it was replaced with a 2009+ battery, there is no jump starter, and you just have a useless button.

You're assuming you need to charge the battery (might be a good one). What is the HV battery voltage? The shop's professional diagnostic equipment should be able to go into the BCM and find the battery voltage. If it's over 310V, it's definitely not your problem.

Old 09-23-2021, 02:09 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by S Keith
Normal behavior is for the light to come on and stay on until the jump cycle is complete. At such time it will slow-flash several times and turn off. Your lack of light suggests it is inoperative. It is possible the LED doesn't function, but that would be pretty surprising.

You have not indicated if the battery has ever been replaced. Again, if it was replaced with a 2009+ battery, there is no jump starter, and you just have a useless button.

You're assuming you need to charge the battery (might be a good one). What is the HV battery voltage? The shop's professional diagnostic equipment should be able to go into the BCM and find the battery voltage. If it's over 310V, it's definitely not your problem.
I know what the normal behavior is - I just read one of your replies to someone else who claimed their push button didn’t light up and that was how I interpreted your response so I was verifying. I know it lights up and starts blinking when it’s ready to start.

And I’m not assuming I need to charge the battery. The shop tested it at 243 volts and told me it was low. They also told me I would have to take it to a dealership to have it charged (I mentioned it in my initial questioning) which I would think would be a give away that they tested it and told me that for a reason.

The 12V battery is brand new and I’ve charged it with a trickle charger since purchasing (a few months back) and the car hasn’t successfully started once since purchasing said battery. Also, I disconnected the battery while it sat since then. Now it’s at the shop and I’m trying to figure out what my next steps should be and if it’s necessary to even take it to a dealership considering that jump start button is supposed to work.

And the battery hasn’t been replaced. It worked early this year and last year (I purchased the vehicle last year with only 39K miles on it), but since purchasing it, it’s just been issue after issue; even the alarm just randomly would go off at all times of the day (unusually mostly VERY early in the morning.)

And the jump start button being inoperative is a major concern of mine. That’s why I was questioning what would cause that to not work earlier. I’m far from a mechanical expert and I was wondering if there’s a fuse/relay that could be out that could effect that. Or if that could mean the HV battery is shot, as a whole. Or if that meant some type of wiring was faulty. I know nothing about the set up.

Last edited by NDunfiltered; 09-23-2021 at 02:15 PM.
Old 09-23-2021, 02:53 PM

Seems you get snippy when you expect me to assume something you failed to mention, that you've read other posts of mine, or expect me to trust that a "non-hybrid" shop is competent... when most aren't. Sorry. I'm not interested in dealing with you.

Most dealerships charge $2K and don't guarantee results.

Good luck.

Quick Reply: Battery Push Button

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands