Brakes on Hybrid the same as reg. Cars?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2012, 06:14 PM
Enthusiast
Arrow Brakes on Hybrid the same as reg. Cars?

i have a 2008 Escape Hybrid 150K kms ( almost 100K Miles ) , the rotors on the front are really groved up and pitted bad ... so im gonna have a friend who has a garage and done breaks many times before on reg vehicles try and replace the rotors/pads/calipers but hes never done a hybrid , so im wondering if theres a major difference in hybrids over say the reg. escape ???

Old 05-17-2012, 08:59 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Brakes on Hybrid the same as reg. Cars?

I'd definitely recommend getting a shop manual, I got one for $50 off ebay. We figured this out from reading the manual:

Apparently, the big difference is that if you need to bleed the brakes, you have to have the computer, and then you have to power down the hybrid system yada yada and the dealership charges hundreds of $$ extra for that.

So my dad and I did my brakes (he's the expert not me!) and he had the blocks for the calipers to squeeze while the they were off, so they didn't need to be bled at all, and it went off without a hitch. So if your friend knows how to do brakes without bleeding (not standard procedure at shops AFAIK, more of a home trick) then you should be okay.

This was rear discs, not sure if the front would be different somehow.

STATEMENTS NOT WARRANTIED IN ANY WAY

good luck!

Old 05-18-2012, 07:36 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Not sure why you would want to change the calipers. They shouldn't need replacement if your only symptoms are grooved/pitted rotors and you're not having any problems getting stopped.

There is a special mode for the 2008 FEH for brake changes!

The 2008 owners guide states:

"Brake pad replacement information

The Regenerative Braking System checks the integrity of the brake
system at times when the vehicle is parked. This is done by developing
brake pressure for short periods of time. In order to change the brake
pads, it is necessary to enter the Pad Service Mode. This will prevent
brake pressure from being applied.

To enter the Pad Service Mode, perform the following with the vehicle
stationary:
1. Place the vehicle in Park and turn ignition to the ON position.
2. Apply the brake pedal.
3. Turn the ignition OFF, then ON three times and then release the brake
pedal. The total time elapsed for the three ignition cycles and brake
release must be less than 3 seconds.
The brake warning lamp will:
• flash as stored hydraulic pressure is released.
• remain illuminated once the pressure is completely released.
• flash if the brake is applied.
To exit the Pad Service Mode:
1. Apply the brake pedal and turn the ignition OFF then ON. This will
cause brake pressure to be developed within the brake system. Once
brake pressure is developed, the brake warning light will turn off.
2. The Pad Service Mode will also be exited if the gear shift lever is
moved from the (P) Park position, the vehicle is moved (wheels rotate)
or the ignition is turned OFF.

*Note: The brake system on this vehicle can only be bled at a authorized
dealer."
(2008 Ford Escape Owners Guide - 2nd Edition - page 283)

With that said, I don't see why you would need to bleed the brakes unless you introduce air into the normally closed system (by removing the brake lines or otherwise introducing anything other than brake fluid into the calipers, hoses, or other hydraulic control systems) or unless you want to flush out the old brake fluid (optional when you're doing a pad/rotor swap). I've changed many front/rear disc brake pad/rotors and never had to bleed the system.

Maybe someone with a 2008 FEH shop manual can post what it says if it differs from the owners manual or my statements above.

Last edited by MyPart; 05-18-2012 at 07:44 AM. Reason: Added part about not needing to change calipers.
Old 05-20-2012, 06:41 AM
Enthusiast

I have replaced the front brake pads on mine and the key differences are that the you have to remove the electrical power to calipers and you will need a hard-to-find 9mm hex wrench. The procedure for disconnecting the power posted above did not work for me. However, the shop manual also discussed removing two fuses instead--that is what I did. I do not recall which fuses those were, but the shop manual identifies them. I was only able to find the 9mm hex at Sears as part of a set. All sets available at Sears do not 9mm so verify before purchase. I did not bleed the brakes and you really do not need to do that. I believe that later models do not require the 9mm.

Last edited by kshaw; 05-20-2012 at 06:44 AM.
Old 05-27-2012, 04:41 PM
Feral Engineer

Originally Posted by kshaw
........... I was only able to find the 9mm hex at Sears as part of a set. All sets available at Sears do not 9mm so verify before purchase. I did not bleed the brakes and you really do not need to do that. I believe that later models do not require the 9mm.
I found a 9mm as part of a set at Harbor Freight. Some of their sets have 9mm, some don't.

http://www.harborfreight.com/25-piec...-set-5962.html