C/V axle assembly repair?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2008, 03:50 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default C/V axle assembly repair?

I took my 2006 FEH in for an oil change today, and the dealer said it needs the LF C/V axle assembly replaced since it's cracked. I only have 40k miles on the car, so it seems a little bizarre that part is cracked, plus the cost to fix is $690.

Does anyone have any advice on replacing that part at a non dealership location? It's not something hybrid related right? Does the price seem reasonable?

Old 12-03-2008, 04:37 PM
Omnia Gloria Fugit
Default Re: C/V axle assembly repair?

At my shop we replace cv shaft assemblies for about $280 parts and labor. Though we have not done any FEHs yet. I would find a non dealer to get an estimate and a second opinion. The dealer only sells brand new components that are VERY pricey. The only caveat is that the FEH MIGHT HAVE a special or different shaft assembly. Also if the boot is not ruptured you might could find someone to replace the boot.

Old 12-03-2008, 04:40 PM
Active Enthusiast

Oh it does? They said the boot was torn, but want to replace the entire assembly. Is that normal for the hybrid?

Old 12-03-2008, 04:43 PM
Omnia Gloria Fugit

It is a little soon but not unheard of, has allot to do with your temp ranges and how much turning you do. Call a NAPA auto parts store and see if they list a new cv axle assembly for the FEH.

Old 12-03-2008, 06:16 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Is he saying the boot is cracked (torn??) and therefore the CV joint itself needs to be replaced...??

Probably BS...

But if the CV has been exposed to the weather, water, mud, etc, for a long period he may be correct.

Personally I would lube the CV thoroughly, install a new boot and wait....

DIY replacement boots, SIMPLE install boots, can be purchased.

Old 12-04-2008, 03:34 AM
Active Enthusiast

Wasn't there are recall on the axles on some 2006 models? I'd look into this and see if your car was involved. I believe the recall was due to some axles being manufactured with sub-standard steel which could allow them to crack.

Old 12-05-2008, 02:24 PM
Rabid Offroad Enthusiast

I had to replace a C/V Axle Assembly (both splined ends, two CV joints, and the Axle) on my vehicle recently at about 80,000 miles. The part (evidently available only as the whole assembly) alone was $550 from the Ford Dealer.

Warning! If there is any damage to the CV joints, and you do not catch it soon, you may take out the whole transfer case (a $1500 part).

Old 12-05-2008, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by BadFrog
I had to replace a C/V Axle Assembly (both splined ends, two CV joints, and the Axle) on my vehicle recently at about 80,000 miles. The part (evidently available only as the whole assembly) alone was $550 from the Ford Dealer.

Warning! If there is any damage to the CV joints, and you do not catch it soon, you may take out the whole transfer case (a $1500 part).
What was the symptom of needing that replacement? What did they charge for labor?

Old 12-05-2008, 02:49 PM
Rabid Offroad Enthusiast

Originally Posted by econoline
What was the symptom of needing that replacement? What did they charge for labor?
The symptom was a slight grinding noise (kind of like a brake pad dragging). It was very tough to isolate the sound to where is was coming from.

Standard Labor rate was $80/hour. I think they charged 1 hour (I had other work done also).

Old 12-05-2008, 05:45 PM

Early detection of impending CV joint failure can be detected by turning tightly, very tightly, and listening for odd noises.