Can I do anything with extra dash buttons?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2007, 11:34 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Can I do anything with extra dash buttons?

You sir are a mad genius. get us some pics and a write up!

Please?!?!?!?!?

Old 05-03-2007, 11:41 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jerry&Natalie
You sir are a mad genius. get us some pics and a write up!
Please?!?!?!?!?
As soon as I finish it, I will write up the whole thing, including pics, descriptions, and schematics of the extra bits. I would guess it will be in the next couple of weeks.

Old 05-03-2007, 12:09 PM
Feral Engineer

Salsbr, Thanks for the part number.

Re the coolant pump, I have a 2006 service manual and I found reference to the heater pump connector and the heater pump relay in the wiring section, but couldn't find an actual reference to the pump itself or location / illustration. It has to be in the heater hose circuit, though, so should not be too tough to find.

Old 05-03-2007, 07:50 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by travelover
Salsbr, Thanks for the part number.

Re the coolant pump, I have a 2006 service manual and I found reference to the heater pump connector and the heater pump relay in the wiring section, but couldn't find an actual reference to the pump itself or location / illustration. It has to be in the heater hose circuit, though, so should not be too tough to find.
OK that is the first confirming info I've seen of a separate heater core pump.

Old 05-03-2007, 09:36 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

I have seen many parts of the car described with slightly different words.
Maybe we are talking semantics, not a 3rd actual pump?
(see correction in post #17)
I know there are two, closed loop cooling systems.
One can operate without the other.

Back on topic.
Here is a photo if a generic ( $4) button I got at a typical auto parts store.

I use the button to over-ride the VSS or vehicle speed sensor wire, so I (or a passenger) may use any or all of the Navigation features when the car is in motion. There are detailed directions in an early 2006 thread on this site.

Last edited by gpsman1; 05-05-2007 at 10:33 PM.
Old 05-04-2007, 02:37 PM
Active Enthusiast

I've never understood auto makers that have A/C and which vents combined as one. The Focus had the best control system for A/C I've seen in a car. Too bad they didn't take that one.

Old 05-05-2007, 10:26 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

CORRECTION:

GaryG pointed out to me that there are two electrical pumps, and one engine belt driven coolent pump. I had always known about the two electrical pumps, but some-how overlooked the mechanical one. Ops.

There are two closed loop systems. The small electrical heater pump ( smaller than a pop can and only 20 ga. wire ) is in-line with the engine belt driven water pump, and provides heat to the cabin when the engine is off. Going by size, it now makes sense... this little guy could never move enough water to keep the engine cool under load. This small electrical pump DOES run whenever the climate control system is anything but off. Which seems silly at first, but then makes sense when you think about it. The temperature selector is vacuum based. It only moves the blend door. So there is no electrical communication between any computer, and the pump motor. It's even surprizing now that it does go off at all when you have climate control set to off!!

The M/E coolent pump seems to run all the time too. Even when all things were at an ambient 50'F the M/E coolent pump was running. I think it runs anytime the key is in "run". It's part of the buzzing sounds you hear under the hood when the key is in run without the engine running.