Change Oil Warning

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 09:29 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Change Oil Warning

Originally Posted by TeeSter
The O-ring that HAS to be changed is the O-rings on the oil filter. There is one on the bottom plug that allows you to drain the filter before removing it and replacing the element. Those orings SHOULD BE CHANGED. and there is little reason not to. The new filter comes with new orings in the box. At least is does now.. the early filters did not but sometime ago they started putting the new o-ring right in with the filter element.
I agree Tim. The Fram filter I get always has the two O'rings in the box. I have successfully reused O'rings on similar applications in the past, and if necessary, I wouldn't be afraid to reuse them at least once for the FEH oil change. But why, when you get two new ones????

Old 02-05-2008, 10:52 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Red face Re: Change Oil Warning

It helps if you are careful while removing the old O-rings. They both fit rather tightly in the gland and if you carelessly scratch the gland walls with a screwdriver or such... you may induce a leak path. Gives you a reason to use (or buy) that pointed O-ring removal tool that has been collecting dust for so long. It also helps to slightly stretch the larger one by hand prior to placing in the gland.

Old 02-08-2008, 01:55 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TeeSter
TThere is one on the bottom plug that allows you to drain the filter before removing it and replacing the element. Those orings SHOULD BE CHANGED. and there is little reason not to.
Best reason I can come up with to NOT change the little o-ring is that I don't open the drain plug on the filter housing. There is really little reason to open that plug. Just remove the filter canister after draining the pan and you'll get less oil on your hands than if you take the little plug out. I've got a nice collection of the little o-rings if anyone needs one.

Old 02-16-2008, 09:43 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Wife was out when the "change oil soon" message came one. She sorta freaked and made me take it in right away to have it changed. It was around 89xx something, just shy of 9k. I tried to explain it's just a message, it's good for another month, or atleast until it goes above freesing next week. She wouldn't have it, and since the couch is hard I went ahead and gave up my argument and had it changed. Something like $35 total at a dealer. Sadly they put a sticker on the window for 3k/3mo retards. I should have asked if the Motorcraft was full or mix synthetic, but that probably would have confuded the guy! But I know the MC price was like $5 more than a Valveolien change. maybe the reciecpt specifies which, but it's in the car, and she's got it at work.