Change your Air Filter!

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2022, 03:41 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Change your Air Filter!

Non-electric maintenance on a Hybrid.

I was surprised. I change the oil in the FEH approx. at 5,000 mile intervals, use good oil and a good filter. This time the interval was about 8,000 miles due to unexpected circumstances. I got a little over 4.5 quarts back, so it "burned" less than 1/2 quart during that 8k miles, most of which was during cold weather and some pretty demanding driving.

Then I changed the air filter! After almost exactly 30,000 miles (too long!) it was definitely due. It doesn't look too bad superficially but when you spread the folds apart, there's a lot of garbage in there (the little leaf came from the airbox and got stuck to the seal when I took it out). There was more junk in the bottom of the airbox, which I vacuumed out. Also: in the northeast especially during snow/slush weather, the highway crews deposit some kind of salt/ice-melt mix on the road that dries into a fine dust. Then it gets kicked up into clouds of fine white particles and is sucked into your engine. It's almost like a sandstorm on some days.

I am using a Fram CA10170. If others have a better suggestion I'd be happy to hear it.

Amazon Amazon

Bottom line: the air filter is important to the longevity of these engines. You do *not* want debris being sucked into them, esp. little tiny abrasive particles that will make their way through the intake, into the cylinders, and then eventually out the exhaust and/or IN THE OIL too. I'm beginning to think that contaminants from dirty or junk air filters are one of the primary causes of premature oil consumption, clogged PCV systems and also variable timing components, like the VCT filter and solenoid. Doing the PCV on the 2.5L engine means removing the intake manifold. Not fun!

Whatever makes it past the throttle body goes into the engine!

Ugg-lee ! Next time 20k miles is the max. interval.

Last edited by AlexK; 06-20-2022 at 03:59 PM.
Old 06-21-2022, 04:27 AM
Default Re: Change your Air Filter!

Now you need to show us your cabin air filter.

Old 06-21-2022, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by GatorJ
Now you need to show us your cabin air filter.
That's a good point. I changed it a year ago, but I'm sure it looks like the dark corners of the local Brush Dump by now. Next on the list.

BTW: Some FEH were not equipped from the factory with the cabin air filter. My car had one, but from what I've read, some do not. It's kind of a pain to fit in the enclosure, you have to "hold your face just right" as it were....

A

Last edited by AlexK; 06-21-2022 at 06:47 PM.
Old 06-22-2022, 05:42 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

You won't get stuff flowing by the filter into your engine else a filter would be really really bad. What you will get for waiting longer is restricted airflow.

Old 06-22-2022, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by ShadyEscape
You won't get stuff flowing by the filter into your engine else a filter would be really really bad. What you will get for waiting longer is restricted airflow.
Yes, as long as they're not torn or not sealing, the accumulated debris just make the engine work harder to breathe. Avg. Econ is up to 33.2 MPG today, and that's with lots of miles already in the computer. So the oil change and air filter change haven't hurt anything and without getting too far into "placebo effect" territory I'm glad I did it for <$15 bucks. It's literally a five minute job with no tools and you can also check all your other important fluids and coolants, make sure your 12V battery terminals are looking good, check your radiator hoses, lubricate the hood latch mechanism, and so on. Spray some Windex on the big "Hybrid" cover, make it nice and clean, clear out any old leaves that are stuck in various crevices, etc., etc. It's a ritual, but at least it's not too expensive.

Last edited by AlexK; 06-22-2022 at 07:40 PM.
Old 06-23-2022, 05:26 AM

That cover thing is hanging on the wall of my garage

Old 06-23-2022, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by ShadyEscape
That cover thing is hanging on the wall of my garage
That should help keep it clean

Old 08-02-2022, 12:24 PM
Active Enthusiast

A dirty air filter actually increases filter efficiency. The tradeoff is slightly impeded air flow unless the filter is really dirty in which case the vehicle will feel sluggish and may even set a DTC.

Old 08-02-2022, 06:18 PM

Yeah, that's great advice bro. You just keep driving around with your dirty air filter for increased efficiency. Have a nice time. Did you know that if you don't wash your *ss, your underwear actually smells better after a while? And if you don't refrigerate your food, it just gets riper and better to eat? It's true! In the meantime, take it back to Hippoland, OK? I think we should all go visit Hippo and throw dirt into his air filter so he can have increased efficiency.

You really feel the need to do this on a $15 product? What's wrong with you?

I have to say, this is probably the greatest claim I've ever heard in a car forum anywhere on the Internet since it began. "Don't replace your air filter: it gets more efficient the dirtier it is!" Dude.

Last edited by AlexK; 08-02-2022 at 06:24 PM.
Old 08-06-2022, 04:53 AM

I actually don't know how much anything is affected till the filter-is-clogged cliff because the engine is computer controlled. So less air = less fuel injected. The car is slow as it is so not sure how much you notice the lost power.

The placement of the PCV on this car is so bad that makes me think they have made some kind of "long life' one. The kind that just might get cleaned out with an application of sea foam. I have not heard so many people changing it, unlike my previous vehicles. I have no oil consumption either and a clean tail pipe.This is a VERY pleasant surprise from my old car with leaking exhaust valves.

Quick Reply: Change your Air Filter!

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands