Check brake system dilemma

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2020, 02:31 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Check brake system dilemma

Originally Posted by AlexiMikalov
Is your brake system still fine? I had this exact issue for years with my 2010 Mariner Hybrid and could not find any information on what it could be, and definitely didn't trust the dealer to diagnose it. It was fine for months, then would come on. Months turned to weeks, weeks turned to days, and then it would happen within 5 minutes of driving. Turned out to be the three way check valve. Instead of paying $70 for an entire new valve and hoses (because I could not find the valve by itself anywhere) I used two $5 one way valves in each of the vacuum lines.(this remedy eventually appeared in another forum) Everything was working perfect for the past two months, and now I have the ABS light, EBrake light, wrench, and stability light on. I don't think it is related to my repair, and am hoping it's just the vacuum pump that went bad because no vacuum is coming from there any more. So if your problem presents itself again, it's probably the check valve.
Hi, they told me the same thing! I bought the hole piece for $58 from motorcraft and I will have it installed as soon as I can! Right now the light has not ben coming up. The brake lines seem fine by the brakes. Hopefully this rectifies the issue.

Old 10-10-2020, 09:01 PM
Enthusiast

I replaced a leaky brake booster to vacuum pump vacuum hose (9C482) on one
of my three FEH 2012s/2011 back in 2018.
https://www.greenhybrid.com/forums/f...73/#post265615

The fault is documented in NHTSA ID Number: 10044540 and Ford's TSB-22353
(https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...44540-1228.pdf).

Old 05-24-2022, 07:19 PM
Enthusiast

Thank you so much! I had the same issue: Check brake system warning coming on more and more often, and also noticed that the hybrid wouldn't come on anymore (mpg went down to like 26 or 27). It actually was dangerous in the end when the brake stopped working today for a few seconds while driving. I finally was urged to change the 3-way check valve.

With the help of this thread (and pictures to locate the valve on another forum which also advised to use three adjustable clamps for the hoses just in case) I was able to fix it for my 2010 Escape Hybrid. arbie2 provided the pdf containing the part number. I ordered the vacuum hoses and the 3-way check valve from a Ford dealer for $60-70 a while ago and was able to just replace the valve to get it working again. Initially I had problems as it seemed these hoses wouldn't come off easily but eventually I used two wood chisels to get in between and carefully pry the hoses off. Worked much easier than I initially expected and without breaking anything. I heard some horror stories that it was misdiagnosed by the stealership several times and people paid a lot of money for unnecessary repairs.

Love the internets and the Ford Escape, and that so far I was able to save several thousand dollars with 3 relatively simple repairs (check brake light, ignition failure, rear door actuator). Oil change is as easy as 123 as well.

Also love that that thing now is $2K worth more than when I bought it 5 years ago...haha. Now all I hope it also lasts the advertised 500K miles like the taxis in NYC..then I am set for life :-)

Last edited by Karl22; 05-24-2022 at 07:45 PM.
Old 10-11-2022, 06:33 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Karl22
Thank you so much! I had the same issue: Check brake system warning coming on more and more often, and also noticed that the hybrid wouldn't come on anymore (mpg went down to like 26 or 27). It actually was dangerous in the end when the brake stopped working today for a few seconds while driving. I finally was urged to change the 3-way check valve.

With the help of this thread (and pictures to locate the valve on another forum which also advised to use three adjustable clamps for the hoses just in case) I was able to fix it for my 2010 Escape Hybrid. arbie2 provided the pdf containing the part number. I ordered the vacuum hoses and the 3-way check valve from a Ford dealer for $60-70 a while ago and was able to just replace the valve to get it working again. Initially I had problems as it seemed these hoses wouldn't come off easily but eventually I used two wood chisels to get in between and carefully pry the hoses off. Worked much easier than I initially expected and without breaking anything. I heard some horror stories that it was misdiagnosed by the stealership several times and people paid a lot of money for unnecessary repairs.

Love the internets and the Ford Escape, and that so far I was able to save several thousand dollars with 3 relatively simple repairs (check brake light, ignition failure, rear door actuator). Oil change is as easy as 123 as well.

Also love that that thing now is $2K worth more than when I bought it 5 years ago...haha. Now all I hope it also lasts the advertised 500K miles like the taxis in NYC..then I am set for life :-)

Do you have the part numbers? I am looking to replace this on my vehicle as well. Seems to be at the beginning of its failure.