DIY eCVT transmission service for an 06 FEH

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2009, 10:59 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: DIY eCVT transmission service for an 06 FEH

True, as you have already stated, I'm just a simple OLD shade tree mechanic. Granted, one with almost 60 years of automotive maintainance and repair experience, a ton, if not TONS, of book-learning behind me. So in reality, unlike you (apparently..) I have very little foundation for expressing my opinion. So readers should take it for what's it's worth.

Free advice is often worth what you pay for it...

Old 02-28-2009, 09:53 AM

1st – wwest’s discussion of transaxle oil is wrong. He does not understand what’s inside these machines.
2nd - His discussion of wear products in conventional automatic transmissions does not apply here. Conventional automatic transmissions change gears by either clamping or releasing the ring gear of planetary gear sets. The clamping mechanism uses brake lining type material and this is the stuff he speaks of in the oil pans. It is not the same as the wear products that oil is designed to hold in suspension.
The only wear products in the FEH transaxle comes from bearing wear & gear mesh wear. This transaxle doesn’t change gears. The computer changes the commanded power level for the ICE and the AC frequency and excitation applied to the synchronous machines (alternator & traction motor) to vary road speed.
3rd – Should you use gear oil in your transaxle & have a warranty claim my bet is that Ford would not honor the claim.

Old 02-28-2009, 05:20 PM

Bill,

You might want to go back and read my #2 post and your #3 followup.....

Old 02-28-2009, 05:32 PM

Oops..maybe..

Haven't I read somehwere that FEH can be "TOAD" 4 wheels down since there is an electric clutch that disconnects the entire driveline with the ignition off?

If there is such a clutch and it just happens to be inside the e/CVT "case" that may be why ATF is used.

Last edited by wwest; 03-02-2009 at 05:04 PM.
Old 02-28-2009, 05:55 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wwest
Oops..maybe..

Haven't I read somehwere that FEH can be "TOAD" 4 wheels down since there is an electric clutch that disconnects the entire driveline with the ignition off?

If there is such a clutch and it just happens to be inside the e/CVT "case" that may be why ATF is used.
ATF is also used in the Borg-Warner T5 5 speed manual transmission in my 5.0 HO mustang. It is used because the clearances are so tight that higher viscosity lubes couldn't get between critical surfaces. I suspect (read not stating as absolute fact) that that is also why ATF is required for the FEH eCVT.

Old 03-02-2009, 10:07 AM

As quoted in DesertDog's post:

wwest is guessing about the clutch in the Transaxle and got it wrong.

There is no clutch in the transaxle. There is a separate clutching unit for those with a four wheel drive FEH (or all wheel drive for those that prefer). This clutch connects the rear axle to the front drive axle when wheel slip is sensed and determined to be needed.

This clutching unit uses gear lube and not ATF.

Old 03-02-2009, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by Bill Winney
As quoted in DesertDog's post:

wwest is guessing about the clutch in the Transaxle and got it wrong.

There is no clutch in the transaxle. There is a separate clutching unit for those with a four wheel drive FEH (or all wheel drive for those that prefer). This clutch connects the rear axle to the front drive axle when wheel slip is sensed and determined to be needed.

This clutching unit uses gear lube and not ATF.
Well Bill, I guess we have yet another misunderstanding.

I stated..:

"...If there is such a clutch and it just happens to be inside the e/CVT "case" that may be why ATF is used..."

IF...there is such a clutch..." "..and it just happens...

Not exactly a definitive statement, huh...??

I have a class C 28' Four Winds MotorHome based on a Ford E350 chasis with the V10 gas engine.

3 or 4 years ago I spent some time looking around for a vehicle that could be towed (TOAD in RV lingo) behind the MH with all wheels down. As I remember it now the FEH qualified since there was a "coverall" electric clutch that is disengaged with the ignition off. This seemed strange to me so I enquired a little more deeply. Ford informed me that due to the fact that the synchronous motors have permanent magnet rotors they will generate a fairly high voltage spike, seriously detrimental to the electronics should the FEH be struck from behind and "forced" forward at a fairly high rate of speed.

So it is my understanding that this clutch is "other" than the one used to engage the rear driveline and like the inertial switch that disables the fuel pump it must be "reset" if the FEH is struck from behind.

Last edited by wwest; 03-02-2009 at 05:24 PM.
Old 03-04-2009, 08:23 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks, everyone, for the spirited response!

Old 08-01-2009, 08:21 PM
Active Enthusiast

No need to EVER change it. Got into a big fight with the idiots at the Chevron Oil Stop about that. They kept saying "Ford recommends...." and I kept saying "SHOW ME"

Old 08-02-2009, 10:35 AM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert
Exclamation Re: DIY eCVT transmission service for an 06 FEH

Originally Posted by TheBundo
No need to EVER change it. Got into a big fight with the idiots at the Chevron Oil Stop about that. They kept saying "Ford recommends...." and I kept saying "SHOW ME"
I totally agree. It is good for the life of the vehicle... EXCEPT...
( There's always exceptions... )

Ford says to change it in the case of the vehicle being SUBMERGED in water.
( aka "Flood" )

In that case, the car would/should have a "salvage" title, not be worth much, and is probably not what you are driving!

HTH,
-John

Quick Reply: DIY eCVT transmission service for an 06 FEH

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands