Dramatic MPG drop recently, common causes?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2011, 07:57 PM
Imported from Detroit
Default Re: Dramatic MPG drop recently, common causes?

Originally Posted by GaryG
Do you know you are not making any sense? Bill, get to a doctor, I mean that as having been a paramedic.

GaryG
You brag too much and have a big ego. Do you understand that??

Old 01-13-2011, 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by wptski
You brag too much and have a big ego. Do you understand that??
I understand all that Bill. As a friend, a check up would be a recommendation on the safe side. I'm not your enemy.

Gary

Old 01-14-2011, 07:17 AM
Imported from Detroit

I understand all that Bill. As a friend, a check up would be a recommendation on the safe side. I'm not your enemy.

Gary
I'm not the one with a ego swelled head and brags in every post they can, so I don't the check up. You seem to have a problem with anyone that doesn't agree with you and then go into your bragging mode.

I've run into people in other forums that have named you as one of the reasons that they have left this forum. Of course, I don't know if it was just two big egos that collided.

Old 01-14-2011, 10:48 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Your numbers are consistent with my wife's experience with cold weather combined with frequent short trips. Its not the E10 formulation.

Old 01-14-2011, 08:16 PM

so I don't the check up.
Just trying to help Bill, You seemed like a good person at one time. Would you like me to remind you by posting your PM's to me here? Maybe Billy would like that also?

GaryG

Old 01-15-2011, 05:04 AM
Imported from Detroit

Just trying to help Bill, You seemed like a good person at one time. Would you like me to remind you by posting your PM's to me here? Maybe Billy would like that also?

GaryG
It could be in the past that you didn't brag so much like your doing now. Instead of mentioning your status, awards, etc. in any post that you can, why not just put all that into your signature?

If you were bragging back then like your doing now, I wouldn't be PM'ing you because that nauseates me. I avoid people that brag about themselves.

If you want to post my PM's, go right ahead but what will you gain by doing that? You might be damaging yourself by doing so!

Old 01-15-2011, 09:36 AM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

Back in the first year of ownership, GaryG was coming to myself for help and advice. We got along well and I had hoped to meet him some day until the boasting and exaggerated claims got out of hand.

Second, one thing not mentioned thus far:
Adding wax to a car adds weight to a car.
But I will testify in any court that the weight is too small to have a MEASUREABLE difference on MPG. The key word is MEASUREABLE.
The smooth or not smooth arguement is the same.
Real effect? Maybe. MEASUREABLE? No way.

Just like the theory of the position of an electron around an atom is a valid theory, the theory of wax decreasing mileage is a vaild theory, but one neither yourself, nor Mythbusters can prove. The less dramatic the outcome, the more tests (sample size) you need. Mythbusters are far from scientific.
I find the show entertaining though they get things wrong about 25% of the time, and like you, are quick to jump to conclusions.

For something to be proven Gary, the result such as yours needs to be repeated 100's, preferably 1000's of times by many persons under many conditions.

Gary finds a coincidence and draws conclusions, and this is his downfall.
The majority of his driving tips do in fact save fuel.
But so does walking. Can I add the miles I walk to my trip odometer to boost my numbers? Can I count the miles run on ethanol as not run on gas and boost my GAS Mileage? This is an analogy, but some of the nonsense that gets tossed around here and mixed in with factual information.

Old 01-15-2011, 10:16 AM

It could be in the past that you didn't brag so much like your doing now. Instead of mentioning your status, awards, etc. in any post that you can, why not just put all that into your signature?

If you were bragging back then like your doing now, I wouldn't be PM'ing you because that nauseates me. I avoid people that brag about themselves.

If you want to post my PM's, go right ahead but what will you gain by doing that? You might be damaging yourself by doing so!
Four things changed since then.

1. The '09, not the '05 FEH, started getting unbelievable mileage, even with E10.

2. The reasons the '09 FEH starting getting so much better MPG was I discovered things like not waxing which you and Billy have a very hard time accepting. It's not fair to me and the group that I get blasted every time I post about it. When I so call brag about my results that show the difference, just look back what your responses were. Someone new to the board doesn't know who to believe. Just not waxing is only one technique I use, it's takes a combination of all of them like P&G, accelerator blip, and SoC management. When I get any MPG drop or gain, there is a reason.

3. '08FEH (Sean), got a lemon '09 FEH and kept posting about it as if all '09 FEH's were bad. I accept that now that a Ford Rep explained the first redesigned vehicles are not quality until the are declared "Okay to Buy" for retail orders. I think Sean and I are back on the right track now that we understand what may have caused his problems with his '09 FEH.

4. Disagreeing with my techniques by twisting what I said in my post is unfair. If you want me to clarify something that wasn't clear, I'd be glad to. I can't scientifically prove everything I do to get the MPG I do, but trial and error works pretty good most of the time for me. Most people here are satisfied with maintaining their present mileage, but some ask for help. Those that want help are not looking for scientific proof, but if they are, they'll have to find it from someone else. All I can do is point to my mileage and explain what I did to get where I'm at.

GaryG

Old 01-15-2011, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by gpsman1
Back in the first year of ownership, GaryG was coming to myself for help and advice. We got along well and I had hoped to meet him some day until the boasting and exaggerated claims got out of hand.

Second, one thing not mentioned thus far:
Adding wax to a car adds weight to a car.
But I will testify in any court that the weight is too small to have a MEASUREABLE difference on MPG. The key word is MEASUREABLE.
The smooth or not smooth arguement is the same.
Real effect? Maybe. MEASUREABLE? No way.

Just like the theory of the position of an electron around an atom is a valid theory, the theory of wax decreasing mileage is a vaild theory, but one neither yourself, nor Mythbusters can prove. The less dramatic the outcome, the more tests (sample size) you need. Mythbusters are far from scientific.

I find the show entertaining though they get things wrong about 25% of the time, and like you, are quick to jump to conclusions.

For something to be proven Gary, the result such as yours needs to be repeated 100's, preferably 1000's of times by many persons under many conditions.

Gary finds a coincidence and draws conclusions, and this is his downfall.
The majority of his driving tips do in fact save fuel.
I can't think of a time I came to you for help and advise but there might have been. You and I had more of a debate on things and you did win sometimes like the disconnect in the eCVT. At any point, I never exaggerated claims like I found you were doing. Sure, I do boast too much.

The weight of the wax is a joke right? As far as waxing having a measurable effect on MPG, it does. The effects just get seen more the higher the MPG average you have. The percentage in change stays the same at lower MPG which I estimate at 4% if you go from a very dirty vehicle that needs washing for over a month difference to a fresh wax job. It might be a 1.2mpg drop with a normal average of 30mpg, but with a 57.5mpg average, it's at least a 2.3mpg drop. Of course, if you keep your FEH washed and waxed most of the time, you would not see near that big of drop. Now, I've let my '09 FEH go without washing or waxing since Nov. 5 2009. It's the dirtiest its ever been and my last tank was 63.4mpg. I'm pretty sure a wash and wax right now would drop my MPG average by at least 6% or 3.8mpg because it's so dirty.

I don't have to get bit by a dog but one time to know that dog bites. Getting bit a few more times, I would know to stay away from that dog. Also, all I have to do to prove I got bit a few times is show people my scars. I still can't prove that dog is a biter to anyone and don't have too. You need to find out if that dog bites if you don't believe me. If I let that dog bit me 100 or 1000 times in order to prove to someone on this board that the dog is a biter, I'll let John do it. Lets see if John thinks it was a coincidence and I drew conclusions after his 100th bite.

At least John, you admit "The majority of his driving tips do in fact save fuel".

GaryG

Old 01-15-2011, 02:38 PM
Imported from Detroit

Four things changed since then.

1. The '09, not the '05 FEH, started getting unbelievable mileage, even with E10.

2. The reasons the '09 FEH starting getting so much better MPG was I discovered things like not waxing which you and Billy have a very hard time accepting. It's not fair to me and the group that I get blasted every time I post about it. When I so call brag about my results that show the difference, just look back what your responses were. Someone new to the board doesn't know who to believe. Just not waxing is only one technique I use, it's takes a combination of all of them like P&G, accelerator blip, and SoC management. When I get any MPG drop or gain, there is a reason.

3. '08FEH (Sean), got a lemon '09 FEH and kept posting about it as if all '09 FEH's were bad. I accept that now that a Ford Rep explained the first redesigned vehicles are not quality until the are declared "Okay to Buy" for retail orders. I think Sean and I are back on the right track now that we understand what may have caused his problems with his '09 FEH.

4. Disagreeing with my techniques by twisting what I said in my post is unfair. If you want me to clarify something that wasn't clear, I'd be glad to. I can't scientifically prove everything I do to get the MPG I do, but trial and error works pretty good most of the time for me. Most people here are satisfied with maintaining their present mileage, but some ask for help. Those that want help are not looking for scientific proof, but if they are, they'll have to find it from someone else. All I can do is point to my mileage and explain what I did to get where I'm at.

GaryG
From that post: My classification as a hypermiler is an Expert and about to turn Elite status comparing to the lowest as not rated to a Skilled hypermiler. Hypermilers are drivers who exceed the combined EPA rating of their vehicle's lifetime average MPG.

Doesn't look like so-called bragging to me just plain bragging. Your classified as a Expert Hypermiler in what, a club, organization, etc.? Can you loose your status? Who verifies your status?

Quick Reply: Dramatic MPG drop recently, common causes?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands