Dramatic MPG drop recently, common causes?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2011, 05:48 PM
Default Re: Dramatic MPG drop recently, common causes?

Originally Posted by wptski
From that post: My classification as a hypermiler is an Expert and about to turn Elite status comparing to the lowest as not rated to a Skilled hypermiler. Hypermilers are drivers who exceed the combined EPA rating of their vehicle's lifetime average MPG.

Doesn't look like so-called bragging to me just plain bragging. Your classified as a Expert Hypermiler in what, a club, organization, etc.? Can you loose your status? Who verifies your status?
Look Bill, don't you even remember joining cleanmpg.com? A check-up is still a good idea I think.

GaryG

Old 01-17-2011, 02:37 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Name:  daytona500Largee-mailview.jpg
Views: 510
Size:  65.6 KB

None of the Daytona Race vehicles show up "dirty" for the race. The 2010 winning speed of 137 mph is greater than 6 times the average speed posted here. If dirty made a difference, why wouldn't one see it at Daytona? A logical explanation (one that had nothing to do with the subject) was posted this past summer (2010) about this issue between dirty and increased mpg but it was flat out rejected by those advancing the theory of dirty and improved mpg.

Enough said.

Old 01-17-2011, 05:02 AM
Imported from Detroit

Originally Posted by GaryG
Look Bill, don't you even remember joining cleanmpg.com? A check-up is still a good idea I think.

GaryG
Why don't you just answer the questions instead of dodging them by implying that I have health issues? I doubt if your qualified to assess anyone's health to begin with.

What does joining cleanmpg.com have do with this? Did I take an oath when I joined??

Old 01-17-2011, 08:58 AM
Eager Novice Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sirfergy
Thanks. I did get new tires six months ago but didn't see a drop in fuel economy. It is colder weather, but 24mpg seems awfully low. The EV system seems to be working ok, how would I diagnose? The 12V battery was replaced last year. No wind, I haven't waxed the system and I keep the tire pressure around 40psi.

Would fuel filter or fuel injectors be to blame?
From my experience with an '07, the cold weather and needing to run the heater, are the biggest causes of reduced mpgs in the winter. Up though November, I was averaging 40+ mpg, but since December hit with morning temperatures in the teens (Fahrenheit), my last 3 tanks have been around 34, so that is somewhat similar to the drop that you are seeing. This has been consistently happening over the last three winters when the mercury falls below freezing.

Insulation on the grill and an engine block heater seem to be the best defense. I don't have a block heater, but I do block my grill with coated cardboard. It is important to monitor the engine temperature if you are going to block the grill though. I use a Scangauge for that. Before the grill block, I averaged 29-31 in the winter cold.

Hope that helps!

Old 01-20-2011, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by Billyk

None of the Daytona Race vehicles show up "dirty" for the race. The 2010 winning speed of 137 mph is greater than 6 times the average speed posted here. If dirty made a difference, why wouldn't one see it at Daytona? A logical explanation (one that had nothing to do with the subject) was posted this past summer (2010) about this issue between dirty and increased mpg but it was flat out rejected by those advancing the theory of dirty and improved mpg.

Enough said.
Look Billy, you don't have a clue. The top runners are drafting each other, don't you see that? The leaders are providing a windshield for someone behind them. Shake-In Bake comes to mind. You have no idea about gas mileage and never will I'm afraid.

GaryG

Old 01-20-2011, 07:58 PM

What else is new GaryG? You continue to blast away at those who question some of your statements. When are you going to admit that the truth about your waxing and mpg "theory" was posted last summer by a fellow Florida resident and it had nothing to do with wax, dirty vehilces, aerodynamics or even golf ball patterns?

Old 01-21-2011, 11:11 AM
Enthusiast

Irreconcilable differences are a fact of life. Get over it guys and learn to accept each others opinion, even if it sounds ludicrous to you.
I chose to believe certain things and so do you guys. I have different methods than you and therefore think different thoughts, so what!?. Its time you guys learn to appreciate other opinions without calling each other names.
I don't think anyone disputes that Gary has achieved impressive results hypermiling and likely figured out a few tricks along the way. He may have some very useful tricks that are worth considering but he isn't ultimate authority on all things fuel consumption and some claims seems strange.
I come here to pick up ideas, but scrolling through pages of this shiz is starting to turn me away.

Old 01-22-2011, 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by agunther
Irreconcilable differences are a fact of life. Get over it guys and learn to accept each others opinion, even if it sounds ludicrous to you.
I chose to believe certain things and so do you guys. I have different methods than you and therefore think different thoughts, so what!?. Its time you guys learn to appreciate other opinions without calling each other names.
I don't think anyone disputes that Gary has achieved impressive results hypermiling and likely figured out a few tricks along the way. He may have some very useful tricks that are worth considering but he isn't ultimate authority on all things fuel consumption and some claims seems strange.
I come here to pick up ideas, but scrolling through pages of this shiz is starting to turn me away.
Look how slick this clay is Ford is testing:
http://www.homelessfart.com/2011-for...e-wind-tunnel/

GaryG

Old 01-22-2011, 05:59 PM

The discussion on waxing & dirty versus clean is akin to the discussion of laminar flow versus turbulent flow...

If smooth, and thus laminar flow, were better then golf ***** would be smooth (& probably waxed to boot!) not stippled as they are.

Of course too much turbulent flow from too much dirt on the surface isn't good either. It's well understood in engineering circles that some degree of turbulent flow caused by a small amount of surface roughness has less resistance to flow than laminar flow from a very smooth surface.

Old 01-30-2011, 11:34 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

But the fact remains, the effect is to too small to measure by Gary driving the streets of Florida. Remember, he averages about 24 MPH also. How much drag is there at 24 MPH? A change in barometric pressure will affect the FEH's MPG more than being waxed or not. ( Unless you used an unreasonable amount of wax.) How many tubs did you use last time Gary? Did you remember to buff after application? Are you logging barometic pressure with every tank? That might be more useful.

Remember dirt is random. The shark skin Bill and others allude to is very carefully engineered with specific tolerances.

Quick Reply: Dramatic MPG drop recently, common causes?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands