Electric A/C compressor

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 06:27 AM
Enthusiast
Default Electric A/C compressor

Does anyone know if the 2009 FEH/MMH or the new 2009 Fusion/Milan hybrids will have an electric A/C compressor? Thanks!

Old 05-29-2008, 10:34 AM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert
Default Re: Electric A/C compressor

Very unlikely.

It was concluded that the only advantage would be:
You could run the A/C in a parked garage with the door shut and not get carbon monoxide poisioning.... for about 5 minutes... then your battery would be depleted anyhow. Electric A/C takes a lot of power... More than most people imagine.

There's no advantage for an electric A/C MPG wise.
The disadvantage is, you wear out your battery pack in fewer than 10 years.

Old 05-29-2008, 10:42 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

A more ideal arrangement might be a belt/clutch and/or electrically driven A/C compressor for only the times that the ICE need not run otherwise.

Running the ICE ONLY for A/C/heat is one horrible waste of FUEL.

Old 05-29-2008, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by wwest
Running the ICE ONLY for A/C/heat is one horrible waste of FUEL.

Running the battery ONLY for the use of A/C/heat is one helluva waste of a kilowatt!

Old 05-29-2008, 02:20 PM
Enthusiast

gpsman1 -

I guess you are saying that Toyota & Honda made a mistake when they designed their hybrids to include an electrically operated A/C compressor. I don't think that many Toyota & Honda hybrid owners would agree. And I don't recall any Toyota Prius owners complaining because their batteries wore out prematurely!

Old 05-29-2008, 02:41 PM

The HCHII has this, and the air gets a little warmer when the car autostops. You can also watch the SoC drop at long lights. It's better than nothing (or blowing hot air), but I think the regen hit you take dropping below 5 bars of SoC has got to burn almost as much gas as you would have burned if the car didn't autostop. Unless I know it is going to be a really long light, I will force ICE-on to preserve battery.

That being said, I don't think that having the electric motor power the AC would have much effect on battery logevity. The AC will spin away on electric until the SoC hits a certain level and then the ICE starts again to keep things in balance--very similar to the way it handles battery depletion from driving.

Old 05-30-2008, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by Doug121041
gpsman1 -
I guess you are saying that Toyota & Honda made a mistake when they designed their hybrids to include an electrically operated A/C compressor. I don't think that many Toyota & Honda hybrid owners would agree. And I don't recall any Toyota Prius owners complaining because their batteries wore out prematurely!
#1 Not a mistake, just a different approach
#2 There are numerous reasons for an electrically driven A/C, MPG gain is not one
#3 Are there any 10 year old hybrids with electric A/C? NO!

Time will tell.

Old 05-30-2008, 09:02 AM

Well, logic tells me that neither method is more efficient. All power in a hybrid comes from gasoline. You either burn gas at a light to keep the AC running, or you use the battery at a light and burn extra gas the next time the engine kicks in to recharge the battery.

There is simply a choice to make. Extra wear from the added charge/deplete cycles on the battery or the occasional discomfort at a red light.

Ford chose battery longevity, Toyota chose passenger comfort.

I guess since I don't plan to keep this vehicle for more than 100,000 miles, I am not as concerned with the added cycles of wear and would appreciate the AC more since I have 2 little kids. That said, its not a huge deal to turn the AC to MAX on those occasions.

Old 05-30-2008, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by gpsman1
#1 Not a mistake, just a different approach

No, a very well thought out design aspect.

#2 There are numerous reasons for an electrically driven A/C, MPG gain is not one

Assuming the driver wishes to have air conditioning the use of an electric compressor is a most definite FE advantage.

#3 Are there any 10 year old hybrids with electric A/C? NO!

Time will tell.
Look at it this way, what if you had to run the ICE in order to power the radio each and every time you turn it on....??

And just what is the difference, doesn't ALL hybrid vehicles use an electric water pump to continuously supply HOT coolant to the heater core even with the engine shut down..??

Simply fuelish to run the ICE for ONLY powering the A/C or water pump.

Old 05-30-2008, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by wwest
And just what is the difference, doesn't ALL hybrid vehicles use an electric water pump to continuously supply HOT coolant to the heater core even with the engine shut down..??
Remember, A hot water pump consumes A LOT less power than an A/C compressor.

Quick Reply: Electric A/C compressor

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands