Electric Power Steering

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2009, 12:35 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert
Default Re: Electric Power Steering

Originally Posted by GaryG
My '09 FEH steers like my '05 FEH with EPS so I think all Ford hybrids have pull/drift technology.

GaryG
The 2005's DO NOT have this steer technology.
I suspect the 2006-2007 DO NOT have it either.
The article states it started in 2008.

The 2005's were kinda "bare bones" to get the hybrid, already behind schedule for product launch into the marketplace ASAP.

The 2005's for sure DO NOT have this ability.
I drive many mid-west East-West interstates of I70, I80, I90 for hours upon hours, in KS and NE for example, where the roads are straight and flat... and there is more often than not, a cross wind out of the north. My FEH pushes to the right badly when I'm going east. I thought my alignment was out at first... but the next trip, it pushes to the left when I travel west.

You will never notice if you drive in the city, or drive on roads with lots of curves. But I notice it like crazy, and I totally wish my car had this "new for '08" feature.

Old 03-22-2009, 04:55 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I had a 30 mph cross wind today without any pull, unless I went under an underpass where the wind was interrupted, then resumed and that I did notice. I would not have noticed it if I hadn't read it here tho.

Old 03-22-2009, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by gpcpilot
Gary, do you know if the '07s have this feature with the EPS? I find it very stable and seldom pulls in any direction. In fact, I have found that in many Southern California freeways where we have grooved pavement it almost seems to self-correct when a groove wants to take the car into another lane.

Thanks,

-Tony
This is my experience in both my '05 and '09 FEH. Today I had two hours of driving my '05 FEH in high winds on both city and highway and I can't see any difference with pull/drifting in my '09 FEH. I didn't say the '09 did not have improvements but it's hard to see any changes from my '05 FEH.

I suggest others report on their '05 - '07 FEH/MMH because GPSman disputes this. The EPS does not totally eliminate pull/drift because the driver needs some feedback for these conditions for control of the vehicle.

GaryG

Old 03-22-2009, 07:07 PM
Exclamation Re: Electric Power Steering

Gary, maybe you feel no difference because niether your 2005 nor your 2009 has the technology.

Ford Press Release:

"Mar 13, 2009. Journalists at the Dearborn Development Center experienced the benefit of Ford's new pull-drift compensation. The software-based technology helps drivers offset vehicle pulling or drifting that can occur in steady crosswinds or on uneven roads...

and later followed by

...will debut on several 2010 Ford, Lincoln and Mercury vehicles, including Ford Escape, Escape Hybrid and Flex."

All Hybrids, and now many gas only cars from Ford have EPS, electric power steering. The "new" technology is the yet to come, software that compensates for persistent crosswinds.

At best Gary, our cars have a watered down, basic version.
I know by my sore arms at the end of a 600 mile drive, the 2005 FEH is not compensating for the persistent crosswinds of the mid-west prairie!

Sounds like Ford debuted the software in the 2008 gas only Escape, and perhaps, not included in the Hybrids.
I know what you are thinking, if in the regular, why not the hybrid?
Well, there are hundreds of reasons, and other examples, like anti-theft ( gas pump disable ) not included in the early hybrids, and RSC not included in the first hybrids... just to name two examples.

Last edited by gpsman1; 03-22-2009 at 07:14 PM.
Old 03-23-2009, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by gpsman1
Gary, maybe you feel no difference because niether your 2005 nor your 2009 has the technology.

Ford Press Release:

"Mar 13, 2009. Journalists at the Dearborn Development Center experienced the benefit of Ford's new pull-drift compensation. The software-based technology helps drivers offset vehicle pulling or drifting that can occur in steady crosswinds or on uneven roads...

and later followed by

...will debut on several 2010 Ford, Lincoln and Mercury vehicles, including Ford Escape, Escape Hybrid and Flex."

All Hybrids, and now many gas only cars from Ford have EPS, electric power steering. The "new" technology is the yet to come, software that compensates for persistent crosswinds.

At best Gary, our cars have a watered down, basic version.
I know by my sore arms at the end of a 600 mile drive, the 2005 FEH is not compensating for the persistent crosswinds of the mid-west prairie!

Sounds like Ford debuted the software in the 2008 gas only Escape, and perhaps, not included in the Hybrids.
I know what you are thinking, if in the regular, why not the hybrid?
Well, there are hundreds of reasons, and other examples, like anti-theft ( gas pump disable ) not included in the early hybrids, and RSC not included in the first hybrids... just to name two examples.
John, the '09 FEH came with the same EPS pull/drift upgraded software as the '08 gas Escape. All Ford FEH/MMH EPS have pull/drift technology but Ford is just upgrading the software for both the gas and hybrid Escape as well as other gas models. The big change in the '08 Escapes is Ford no longer needs to run the EPS off a DC/DC converter found in our older FEH/MMH. Remember me posting over a year ago that the '05 FEH EPS will run for 3 seconds after the key is turned to the Off position? If the key is returned to the On position within that 3 seconds the EPS will not shut-off.

As you know the gas Escapes don't have a DC/DC converter so software had to change to run off the 12V battery supply.

There are so many hypermiling techniques I use to improve MPG sometimes I don't share because you argue anything anyone brings up. One such technique to save energy I use is to avoid turning or moving the steering wheel as much as possible at slower speeds. The '05 workshop manual indicates the EPS also reduces power assist as vehicle speed increases to enhance road feel at the steering wheel. This may be why you feel you don't have the crosswind protection at highway speeds as in the newer programming. EPS must have sensors to protect against pull/drifting, but the older models may not be as enhanced as the '08 programming.

Ford hit a home run with the '05 FEH EPS units and now that they've been proven reliable and the cost has come down it's only a matter of time all Ford vehicles will have it. Like I said, pull/drift feels just as good in my '05 FEH as my '09 FEH.

GaryG

Old 03-24-2009, 05:37 PM

Gary- The pull-drift compensator has a torque sensor on the steering wheel to measure how much torque the driver is inputing. I have the Helms workshop manuals for my 2005. I can't find the page number for the steering wheel torque sensor. Can you direct me to it? Maybe a small mod would give me more "compensation".

I really put it to the test Monday driving though Nebraska.
Had 45-63 ( as per radio station ) MPH cross winds for like 8 hours.
I was putting in a couple ft./lbs of torque to the side for hours.
I had to trade arms every few minutes.
It was very fatiguing.

The steering wheel torque sensor measures driver input torque. If the torque is in the same direction ( not a curvy road ) for 20-30 seconds, the EPS is supposed to input additional torque in that direction, so the driver doesn't have to, or has to input less. This is the definition of "pull-drift compensation".

I can't speak to later models, but I'm 99% sure this compensating software is not in the 2005's. I've emailed one of the Ford representaives in the article about the "new" pull-drift compensting EPS. We'll see if he replies.

Why do you think the Ford engineers are calling it "new" if it came out 4 years ago?

Old 05-21-2009, 12:36 PM
Enthusiast

Hi guys,
I have a 06 FEH 2wd and I'm pretty sure it has EPS... because my local Ford dealer just quoted me $1114 for the Rack in the Chassis Steering System.. My mechanic noticed some play at the passenger side connection of the tire-rod and he said it's not serviceable...bummer.. Probably only Ford makes it too.. Regular escape Racks only cost around $200.. Not sure about any software connected to it though?? Anybody know how many hrs. to replace?Thanks
Mike

Old 05-24-2009, 02:54 PM
Imported from Detroit

I have the wiring diagrams for my '09 FE. It has a EPS module but has no input from any sensor and there is no steering torque sensor. The EPS receives input from the PCM, so I looked for some kind of steering sensor input, nada! I also looked at the component location charts, no sensor either. Nothing in the index either.

Old 05-25-2009, 09:03 AM
Enthusiast

Bill,
According to Ford you are enjoying "other clever – yet subtle – steering characteristics".. maybe your model forgoes that option...
http://www.ford.com/about-ford/news-...ic-power-30019
I'm not to sure about the reliability part of my equation, looking at a fairly
huge bill to replace my steering rack without serviceable bushings..
Mike

Old 05-25-2009, 12:21 PM
Imported from Detroit

Originally Posted by scmike
Bill,
According to Ford you are enjoying "other clever – yet subtle – steering characteristics".. maybe your model forgoes that option...
http://www.ford.com/about-ford/news-...ic-power-30019
I'm not to sure about the reliability part of my equation, looking at a fairly
huge bill to replace my steering rack without serviceable bushings..
Mike
Mike:

I only mentioned what I found and not what I thought was possible! The EPS motor and module are one unit, so it's possible that they are using the motor load as a sensor. Sort-of like power windows. If you open/close a window and don't let off the switch at the top/bottom, a circuit senses the over current then kills the power to the motor.

The article states that it was used on the '08s already.

Quick Reply: Electric Power Steering

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands