Emergency generator.

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2021, 09:53 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Emergency generator.

I mean ford is using low SOC because of just how fast it charges and discharges but in the end these are just NiMH sticks. You can charge them to high SOC if you are only pulling 20A out of them vs 200. Re-configuring more of them in parallel at say 24-48v would probably give you a good bit of AH and run your fridge, etc. We can actually do the math on this but meh, I'm too lazy.

There is a reason most moved from NiCD, NiMH and gone to lithium and other chemistries. I have at least ~80AH out of 4 leaf "cells", 2 parallel, 2 series. About ~16v total and good enough for solar. If you buy a whole pack out of a car you can sell what you don't need to pay for it. Chevy batteries are I think even better from the volt and c-max?

If its between these and lead acids due to price the NiMH might have an edge. A whole pack for $300 and then some chinese BMS to balance them. Heavy as all hell but relatively low risk of fire without having to top off the water.

Old 06-05-2021, 11:59 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Emergency generator.

And the last thing is, Wired: This is the "Ford Escape Hybrid" forum, dedicated to keeping these cars running, not the: "How Do I Dismantle/Destroy a Ford Escape Hybrid So I Can Run My Hot Tub This Summer?" forum.

You're asking us to help you wreck the car. You can feel free to do that yourself.