Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Ford Escape Hybrid (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/ford-escape-hybrid-26/)
-   -   Escape Hybrid PHEV kit? (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/ford-escape-hybrid-26/escape-hybrid-phev-kit-19800/)

Billyk24 03-18-2013 02:01 PM

Re: Escape Hybrid PHEV kit?

Originally Posted by D-mac (Post 247529)
The $2000+ Enginer kit used an assembly of Li-on batteries, not 12V lead-acid AGM batteries boosted to 330V.
But I see now that Enginer's website no longer lists a FEH application anyway so the market for aftermarket FEH PHEV kits is probably dead. Guess we'll be enjoying the new Ford C-Max Energi or other new PHEVs like the Mitsubishi Outlander instead.

The Enginer company no longer exists. There was reliability issues with various components via owner reports. I inquired into such a purchase nearly a year ago. There remains a few small startups/individuals that can provide a FEH PHEV kit but the reliability remains unknown.

steefozo 05-08-2013 11:55 AM

What do you think guys of creating a lead-acid battery bank , consists of 27 batteries * 12 volts connected in serial (10 amps/each ) , that will give us around 330 volts ( 3.22 Kwh power ), and connecting this bank in parallel to my Ford 2009 existing system, Do you think this will work ? what side effects may occur ? is the escape battery management system will deal with this ? are those batteries going to be charged through the attraction (braking) and normal engines charging ? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated ....

D-mac 05-08-2013 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by steefozo (Post 248195)
What do you think guys of creating a lead-acid battery bank , consists of 27 batteries * 12 volts connected in serial (10 amps/each ) , that will give us around 330 volts ( 3.22 Kwh power ), and connecting this bank in parallel to my Ford 2009 existing system, Do you think this will work ?

Awesome! 27 12v batteries, typical group 35 size would only weighs about 1000 pounds. Not to mention really dangerous if you have them in the passenger cabin outgassing toxic fumes.

steefozo 05-08-2013 12:46 PM

This kind of batteries is used for UPSs inside homes and offices , and each one weight less than 4 pounds , that means around 100 pound , they are long life (around 5 years ) , and deep cycle , which means they can hold continues charge / discharge up to 80 % ... and costs around 600 $ only ... for these reasons I think they are good stuff to think of ... and as I read they have been used for PHEV but did not find any reference so far ...

anxietybear 03-12-2022 04:08 PM

I noticed Enginer appears to still be in business, but I have no idea how much their kits cost. How much would the most basic kit set me back? A 2kWh kit? How about 8kWh? I don't make a lot of money tbh.