FEH 12.3 to compression ratio

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2008, 09:33 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: FEH 12.3 to compression ratio

Originally Posted by DesertDog
The FEH has an expansion ratio of 12.3:1, which allows for greater thermodynamic efficiency. The 12.3:1 could be called the static compression ratio, an essentially meaningless term. Dynamic compression ratio, which is a function of SCR, ignition timing and valve timing, is somewhat helpful in determining detonation wrt fuel octane. Brake mean effective pressure is the most important parameter, but it is not easily understood by most and can not be readily determined from the physical properties of the engine. The effective DCR for the FEH is on the order of 7:1, much less than most OTTO engines.
A more "ideal" Atkinson cycle engine, 4 cylinder engine, would have a "native" compression ratio of, say, 25:1 and then moderate that using delayed intake valve closing to as low as 10:1. 25:1 for low power cruising and 10:1 for WOT, putting a FULL CHARGE in each cylinder.

Old 11-10-2008, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by Billyk
FYI, the link does provide this information. Since most of us like to learn about our vehicle, please provide us information/reference with the compression ratio at "spark ignition".
Because the intake valve is open during part of the compression stroke, there is no constant compression ratio. The maximum would be 12.3 to 1 if the intake valve closed when the piston was at bottom dead center. The higher the RPM, there is less time for the fuel mixture to escape back into the intake manifold and the higher the compression ratio becomes. This is why at low RPM's, the FEH has very little torque. At low RPM's the compression ratio gets as low as 4.0 to 1 and why ethanol with less BTU's drops MPG so much. The pinging I'm getting at 6,000 RPM's at high speeds on the freeway is because of the loss of BTU's with E-10 and the higher compression ratio. In this case, higher ethanol percentages might prevent the pinging, but would reduce power even more.

Wayne Gerdes posted the specs on the compression ratio awhile back:
http://www.cleanmpg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=353

GaryG

Old 11-10-2008, 12:58 PM

"The higher the RPM, there is less time for the fuel mixture to escape...."

Hmmmm....

And here all this while I've been thinking that the inertia of a mass doesn't change except due to volume and motion.

If the mixture is lower getting out of the cylinder at high RPM wouldn't it be just as slow getting in, given the same time limit..??

Old 11-10-2008, 01:06 PM

"At low RPM's the compression ratio gets as low as 4.0 to 1...??

Methinks you are confusing physical compression ratio with EFFECTIVE compression ratio and rather than low RPM's my guess would be you meant to say low throttle openings.

If the throttle is WIDE OPEN, even at low RPM's, the cylinder can intake a FULL CHARGE of A/F mixture and thus the "effective" ratio will be close to equal the actual cylinder ratio.

The "effective" compression ratio only gets as low as 4:1 with a partially open throttle wherein the cylinder is mostly "filled" with a vacuum to begin with.

Old 11-10-2008, 01:16 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wwest
The FEH/MMH doesn't use the "otto" cycle. It uses the Atkinson cycle that was invented back in the late 1800's in an attempt to circumvent the "otto" cycle patents.

WW, read before you reply please.

I was comparing the feh to the otto cycle, not saying it has one....

Old 11-10-2008, 01:19 PM

There quite a few modern day N/A automotive engines that have a "true" (overall) compression ratio of 12:1 and even 13:1. With DFI the evaporation of the fuel as it is injected directly into the combustion chamber has a "cooling" effect and thereby allows the use of a compression ratio above the otherwise traditional ~10:1.

not a gasoline engine on pump gas tho...

Old 11-10-2008, 02:29 PM

"At low RPM's the compression ratio gets as low as 4.0 to 1...??

Methinks you are confusing physical compression ratio with EFFECTIVE compression ratio and rather than low RPM's my guess would be you meant to say low throttle openings.

If the throttle is WIDE OPEN, even at low RPM's, the cylinder can intake a FULL CHARGE of A/F mixture and thus the "effective" ratio will be close to equal the actual cylinder ratio.

The "effective" compression ratio only gets as low as 4:1 with a partially open throttle wherein the cylinder is mostly "filled" with a vacuum to begin with.
Wrong. You are conveniently forgetting an important parameter called volumetric efficiency. The curve for VE usually closely follows the torque curve. At low RPM it is usually quite low, meaning substantially less charge is being ingested relative to what is theoretically possible, given by displacement*RPM/2. This is due to various things including the low kinetic energy of the charge and the pulse effect of a 4 cylinder engine. For an Atkinsonized engine the VE is much worse at low RPM than for an Otto. Hence, the effective DCR becomes very low.

Last edited by DesertDog; 11-10-2008 at 02:36 PM.
Old 11-10-2008, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by 08FEH
not a gasoline engine on pump gas tho...
The only modern DFI engine that uses "pump gas" and doesn't have a ~12:1 compression ratio is the CX-7 (9.8:1) and it makes up for the difference via turbo BOOST.

Old 11-10-2008, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by DesertDog
Wrong. You are conveniently forgetting an important parameter called volumetric efficiency. The curve for VE usually closely follows the torque curve. At low RPM it is usually quite low, meaning substantially less charge is being ingested relative to what is theoretically possible, given by displacement*RPM/2. This is due to various things including the low kinetic energy of the charge and the pulse effect of a 4 cylinder engine. For an Atkinsonized engine the VE is much worse at low RPM than for an Otto. Hence, the effective DCR becomes very low.
Not "conveniently" forgeting anything.

At low engine RPM, say 1000RPM, and WOT (Wide Open Throttle) then there is virtually NOTHING preventing a FULL A/F mixture charge from entering each cylinder. The rise in HP/torque as RPM rises is the result of more "firings" per second until a point is reached wherein there is not enough intake valve opening time for a full charge to enter and then the HP/Torque numbers begin to decline.

Now, on the other hand, if you hold the throttle partially closed thereby artificially restricting volumetric efficiency, limiting an engine under load to say, 1000RPM, then your statement would be correct.

Last edited by wwest; 11-10-2008 at 04:42 PM.
Old 11-10-2008, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by colchiro
Gary, I think the reason you're so anti-ethanol is all the problems it caused for you to achieve and maintain this: "1st Place MPG Challenge".

I know it's a lot of work to get 1st place and I respect you for it, but I bet it would have been a lot easier if only E0 was available.
Look Rick, I got first place with E-10 in the MPG Challenge. That was all there was available to the owner Debbie Katz vehicle I drove. I would have made a 70 plus MPG with straight gas. It's not a lot of work and I talked and played music the whole time with Debbie Katz.

With my '09 FEHL, I will set new records on this crap of E-10 in my conditions.

GaryG

Quick Reply: FEH 12.3 to compression ratio

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands