FEH AWD Fuse

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2007, 09:07 AM
Enthusiast
Default FEH AWD Fuse

Has anyone tried pulling the AWD Fuse during warm weather on their FEH? I know Subaru drivers used to do it to increase their mileage until Subaru removed the fuse.

Old 11-14-2007, 10:08 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: FEH AWD Fuse

how much better is the gas mileage in those subarus when they disable the 4wd? The car still weighs the same, and afaik most of the parts continue to spin, regardless of the mode you're in, so are you really using less gas?

I also wonder about possible damage to the car. My understanding was that the 4wd fuse on the subaru should only be plugged when you are using the spare tire, and for only short distances.

But if anyone has tried this on the FEH, or has some experience with this on other cars, please share!

Old 11-14-2007, 10:12 AM
Enthusiast

I've only heard of it being done I do not know what kind of mileage improvement was seen if any. When my wife bought an '05 Outback I looked into it but discovered fuse no longer existed so I stopped digging.

Last edited by Lurch; 11-14-2007 at 10:16 AM.
Old 11-14-2007, 11:30 AM
Active Enthusiast

I'm not sure why this would make any difference on an automatic 4WD system like the FEH. the rear wheels are driving the driveshaft through the differential at all times. You will have that drag no matter what you do and the only time the system links up is when you have slippage, which should never happen in good weather. Unless a 4WD has hub engagement control (which seems to be more and more rare) there isn't much you can do to recover the mileage impact. I wish my pickup truck had the old manual lockout hubs to eliminate the drag and wear of spinning the axles and differential.

Old 11-14-2007, 01:12 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by KenG
I'm not sure why this would make any difference on an automatic 4WD system like the FEH. the rear wheels are driving the driveshaft through the differential at all times. You will have that drag no matter what you do and the only time the system links up is when you have slippage, which should never happen in good weather. Unless a 4WD has hub engagement control (which seems to be more and more rare) there isn't much you can do to recover the mileage impact. I wish my pickup truck had the old manual lockout hubs to eliminate the drag and wear of spinning the axles and differential.
Good point. I was thinking the system might be a little more complex then a computer controlled transfer case.

As for locking hubs I wonder is there is an aftermarket company making any for the Ford Escape. It's a rather common after market upgrade for off roaders because it keeps the wheel on the axel even after a drive shaft breaks allowing you to drive out.

Old 11-15-2007, 06:21 AM
08 MMH 4WD

Would it effect anything if you went a bit more extreme & removed the rear axle during those months?

Not as simple or as quick as removing a fuse or 2wd/4wd dash button / shifter that other cars, trucks, SUVs have.

It would also make the car a bit lighter, but so would diet & exercise!

If you look on the first page of this thread:
https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...display-15946/

There are 2 links that get into some good information around the drive train & the i4WD (the 2 links are on MY 2005)

As quoted from this link: http://www.gulfcoastnews.com/RT2005FordEscapeHybrid.htm

"The 4 wheel drive version uses Ford’s new automatic Intelligent 4WD System. Unless needed, Escape remains in front drive mode. If needed, a computer controlled clutch delivers just the right amount of torque to the rear wheels. The benefit is that parking lot maneuvers are smooth as a front drive car but maximum traction is equivalent to a “locked” 4 X 4 system.

The computer algorithm for Intelligent 4WD monitors all four wheels to not just detect wheel slippage, it can actually predict it. There is no on/off or mode switch as with the current Control Trac II. Intelligent 4WD is claimed to improve fuel economy by .2 mpg."

Last edited by ICBMariner; 11-15-2007 at 06:37 AM. Reason: Adding some info
Old 11-15-2007, 09:29 AM
Enthusiast

If you pulled the axles and the fuse so the computer wouldn't try to engage the rear wheels you would probably see a real benifit. That would be some serious wrenching you would have to do several times a year though.