FEH vehicle recovery

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2009, 03:22 AM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert
Default Re: FEH vehicle recovery

Please also see this thread:

https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...trailer-21463/

Which is another illustration that shows the correctness of Bill's posts, and the error with GaryG's.

( The FEH is not good for pulling out "stuck" vehicles, and is unlike any other regular vehicle. )

Old 04-12-2009, 09:39 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Synchronous Machines

Originally Posted by Bill Winney
Just realized that there is another issue with the FEH & getting someone out of snow & ice.

The two machines in the transaxle are synchronous machines with a powerful permanent magnet type rotating element. If the stators rotating field gets ahead of the rotor and the torque angle exceeds a large enough angle the output of the motor goes to zero.

Once this slip has begun you cannot recover it unless the rotor also has induction windings built in. Don't know if Ford put these in.

My thoughts are that Ford designed the controller that creates the rotating field for the stator so that it would shut down if slip is approached or detected since what happens then is very large currents are drawn by the motor. Since the power source is a battery these currents could get very large, very quickly.

The inherent characteristics of these motors call for some motion in order to begin pulling hard. The torque speed curve for a synchronous machine (without induction windings) shows virtually zero starting torque. Once things are moving it is capable of very large torque.
"..call for some motion.."

No, the rotor weight/inertia is kept to an absolute minimum. The low startup torque comes almost purely from electromagnetic forces.

And yes, these are permanent magnet rotor multi-phase AC synchronous motors. But I would bet a goodly amount that they have an integral position feedback so the "rotating" AC field does not rotate from phase to phase unless the rotor is following.

Old 04-12-2009, 09:49 AM

Folks out in Wyoming (where I spend some winter time) usually do not try to pull someone stuck in the snow starting with a taut line, they always allow some, but not too much, slack to start the stuck guy with a bit of a jerk to get it out of any ruts it might have dug into.

So in pulling someone out with a hybrid, you could use that to get the electric motors going and avoid the stall/torque problem of the computer controller.

With regard to the Ford Roll Stability Control (RSC) in the 09:
My 01 Mustang has Traction Control (TC) with an on/off switch. I found by experience that I had to turn it off when stuck in ice & snow or I'd never get out.

What I believe is going on is that with TC on, the system prevents the locking rear axle from kicking into the lock mode. Thus one wheel can spin (against the brake as TC applies brake pressure to reduce its spin) and the wheel with more traction doesn't ever get power because the difference in spin is not large enough to lock the axle.

Traction Control is not the same as RSC but with regard to wheel spin there may be a parallel. When I turn it off, the locking feature is so good as to get going on anything so long as the snow is not deep enough to seriously interfere with the undercarriage.
TC is nothing more or less than a "nanny" for those driver's who simply cannot or will not learn the rules of driving, or starting out, on a low traction surface. The "key" to doing that is to learn to "feather" the throttle right up to the point of almost losing traction but not beyond.

With FWD or F/awd TC has become a rather serious safety feature. Loss of "drive" traction on the front/driven wheels also means loss of directional control. So recovery from this condition must be as instantaneous as can be possible.

The sole, ONLY, use for TC "off" functionality is to be able to use wheelspin in order to "rock" the vehicle back and forth to get unstuck.

Old 04-12-2009, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by gpsman1
Please also see this thread:

https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...trailer-21463/

Which is another illustration that shows the correctness of Bill's posts, and the error with GaryG's.

( The FEH is not good for pulling out "stuck" vehicles, and is unlike any other regular vehicle. )
Just because you don't have the sense to know how to pull a vehicle out of snow, sand or anything else doesn't mean anyone with half a brain can do so with a FEH. Here again your examples have nothing to to do with pulling people out but towing. Sorry, I don't believe anything you say about anything anymore!

Well, just to be truthful, I never thought anything you posted to be true!

GaryG

Old 04-13-2009, 12:08 AM
Talking Re: FEH vehicle recovery

Take everything GaryG says with a grain of salt, no, several.
Everyone who's been here more than a few days does.
He has very poor technical skills, and is notorious for posting false and misleading information. It's best to just ignore him!

Old 04-13-2009, 03:03 AM

Where I spend some serious winter time, in Wyoming, the snow gets to 5 to 6 feet. Roads get plowed and the plows do well... but getting stuck is simply a fact of life.

Most people get seriously stuck at least once or twice a season. I've been on the receiving end of a pull several times and learned by observation which techniques get someone out the fastest.

I have given a pull to people with my Suburban but just haven't had the opportunity to pull someone out with the FEH.

My long term plan is to mount a 2 or 3,000 lb winch on the front of the FEH. Pulling with a winch is always more powerful than trying to pull with wheels.

As for GaryG's remarks... he's approaching being #2 on my ignore list... right next to wwest.

Old 04-13-2009, 03:19 AM

A winch is probably the safest way to go.
You can use it to free yourself, and others.
Gary has not tried half the things he posts about....
In Sunny, Flat, Florida.

Old 04-13-2009, 03:27 AM

gpsman1:

Saw your line about sunny, flat, Florida.

You haven't seen glorious, wonderful sunlight until you see a clear, winter day, with the mountains covered with (5-10 feet) snow in Wyoming. Glorious, just glorious.

Of course, days like that typically get up to -20ºF on a good day!

Old 04-13-2009, 03:35 AM

Are you aware I live on the CO/WY border?

I know exactly what you mean, and I also know how the FEH behaves in some of the harshest and most demanding conditions.
I think the lowest temp. I've had to run her in was -19'F.
The hottest was 114'F in Las Vegas in July.
I've run the car at well over 12,000 feet elevation.
I've gone up some of the steepest trails CO has to offer, both on and off road. I've only towed over major roads and Interstates.

Old 04-13-2009, 05:24 AM

Where I spend some serious winter time, in Wyoming, the snow gets to 5 to 6 feet. Roads get plowed and the plows do well... but getting stuck is simply a fact of life.

Most people get seriously stuck at least once or twice a season. I've been on the receiving end of a pull several times and learned by observation which techniques get someone out the fastest.

I have given a pull to people with my Suburban but just haven't had the opportunity to pull someone out with the FEH.

My long term plan is to mount a 2 or 3,000 lb winch on the front of the FEH. Pulling with a winch is always more powerful than trying to pull with wheels.

As for GaryG's remarks... he's approaching being #2 on my ignore list... right next to wwest.
WWest has more to offer to this board than you'll ever have or had.

GaryG

Quick Reply: FEH vehicle recovery

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands