Fill-up consistency

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2009, 01:26 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Fill-up consistency

In my first couple tanks I saw a big swing in mileage and looked back at my receipts to see that the gallons pumped were not consistent. I always push below 30 miles to E and in fact I think I was at 24 on my first tank, and 30 on my 2nd. First fill-up used 13.5 gal, and second used 12.5. Now, I am assuming that the fuel gauge is pretty accurate as it gets down to the lower levels, so a difference of 1 gal for 6 miles seemed too much. So for the last two tanks I paid more attention and also pushed the miles a little further. 2nd to last tank I pushed it to 14 Miles to E, and the fill-up was 13.0 gal. Last tank I pushed to 10 Miles to E, and the fill-up was 13.1 gal. These were at different stations, so I think that's pretty consistent.

So how much do others put in their tanks at fill-up time? I am planning to watch this carefully and take an average over time so I can ignore the pump and just calculate my mileage based on expected fill-up capacity.

Oh, and I am happy to report my highest mileage yet: 37.6mpg combined driving. That's a full mpg above my last best tank.

RayP

Old 09-07-2009, 07:07 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Fill-up consistency

I put in whatever it takes to full up. Which is usually in the 12 to 14 gallon range for me.

Note that if you do not full up completely, you cannot do an accurate calculation of gallons consumed. I keep getting into this situation because I keep trying to get to the few stations I know that sell E0 gas. Sometimes when I get near empty, I add two or three gallons, which is just enough to get me the additional miles to a station I know sells E0.

Let's say you're nearing empty in a 15 gallon tank and you add only eight dollars worth or three gallons. You have to fill the tank to a known level and add the volume consumed in the partial tank(s) fill to get an accurate measure of gallons consumed and miles driven. Unless I'm missing something?