Ford Escape MPG

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2007, 08:25 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Ford Escape MPG

Originally Posted by Jerry&Natalie
I can't break 30 MPG ever. I do everything except the hypermile unsafe techniques which i will not do. Still under 1K miles.
Give it time. Use the next 2,000 miles to practice your techniques and to learn how the Escape operates. Even the manual says not to look at your fuel economy for the first 1,000 miles. I swear that there was an INSTANT change at 3,000 miles that allowed me to get EV up to nearly 40mph and increase my MPG up to 30. No matter what I tried before 3,000 miles I couldn't get close.

Old 03-27-2007, 08:36 AM

I can't break 30 MPG ever. I do everything except the hypermile unsafe techniques which i will not do.
I've gotten over 30 mpg in my 4WD(I got 31.5 on my last tank) but never by a whole lot. I use all the techniques like pulse & glide, coasting whenever possible, L gear advantage etc. but I also refuse to use some of the totally unsafe(IMHO) Hypermiler techniques that the fanatics subscribe to.

I am happy with that, getting 30+ mpg in a 4WD SUV is pretty good IMHO.

~John

Old 03-27-2007, 10:06 AM
Enthusiast
Cool Re: Ford Escape MPG

I am up to almost 9000 miles now, so I think I am through the breakin period.

Looks like this tank will have close to the same results.

Yeah, I am not into putting my life and my families life in danger by tailgating and over inflating the tires, especially after Fords SUV / tire problems of the past.

Old 03-27-2007, 02:40 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Red face Re: Ford Escape MPG

See Above

Last edited by glennb; 03-27-2007 at 02:42 PM. Reason: redundant
Old 03-27-2007, 02:42 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Red face Re: Ford Escape MPG

Originally Posted by pra12456
Yeah, I am not into putting my life and my families life in danger by tailgating and over inflating the tires, especially after Fords SUV / tire problems of the past.
Actually, is was under-inflated SUV (Firestone) tires that were blamed in some of the worst roll-over cases. Hence, the rush to make it a law include Tire Pressure Monitors (TPMs) as standard equipment on SUVs. I run my EcoPlus at 40 psi. Its great for mpg and well within the design limits of the tire

Old 03-27-2007, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by glennb
Actually, is was under-inflated SUV (Firestone) tires that were blamed in some of the worst roll-over cases. Hence, the rush to make it a law include Tire Pressure Monitors (TPMs) as standard equipment on SUVs. I run my EcoPlus at 40 psi. Its great for mpg and well within the design limits of the tire
When I first got my FEH, I waited for a rotation at ~5,000 miles to get lifetime rotation, balance and road hazard as a package from Goodyear. Also had them due an alignment. The tire pressure from the factory was set high for some reason at 40psi, so I maintain it at that point. After a few more thousand miles, I damaged a sidewall and Goodyear had to replace it with a wear adjustment. When I checked the other tire wear, I notice the inside was wearing more and ask Goodyear to recheck the alignment. They told me they would check it, but for some reason all the Escapes had a problem with inside wear, even with correct alignment.

To make a long story short, increasing the tire pressure has solved the inside wear problem, and I do get much better MPG at Max sidewall and slightly over. The ride is hard, but I feel much safer in the way my FEH handles, even in the rain.

GaryG

Old 03-29-2007, 09:51 PM
Active Enthusiast

Now that winter is over, my own fuel economy is coming back up. Winter fuel economy is always awful but that's to do with most of my trips being less than 15 minutes of driving -- so the car barely warms up in the cold weather by the time I've arrived at my destination.

I finally had to refuel again tonight (something I seem to do less than once a month) and I reset the average fuel economy reading as I always do. I drove into the city and back (mostly freeway driving but some surface streets) -- about 15 miles in, dinner for a few hours, then 15 miles back. The 30 mile round trip (including allowing the car to cool off for 2 hours in about 45-50 degree temps) was 33.2 MPG and this is in my 4WD.

33 MPG on highway driving might seem great considering the 4WD FEH is only supposed to average 29 on the highway (33 city), but I've done this _same_ trip and actually averaged 40 MPG on the 30 mile round trip in the 4WD (of course that was rush hour driving so the freeway wasn't moving fast.)

I use cruise as often as possible. I confess that in a 70 zone I don't really drive 70... I usually drive 65, but tonight there wasn't much traffic so I drove 60 instead (no fear of someone plowing into the back of me) and when the freeway gets into the inner city area the speed limit drops to 55 and I actually do drop the cruise down to 55.

When on surface streets I look at the color of the next traffic light, but also at several lights beyond to see if they are in-sync and estimate how long they've been red or green and if they might be due to change soon. I also look at the pedestrian Walk/Don't-Walk signs for a hint as to what the traffic light is about to do. Based on what the lights are doing I'lll come off the gas when I'm 1/4 mile away from the light if I know it's due to change (since I know there's no way I'll make the light anyway -- why burn the fuel and then have to use too much break pressure to stop when I can coast instead?)

I check my tire pressure often (several times per month) and especially if there's a big drop in temps. However the car is garaged and I own my own air-compressor sitting right next to the car so adjusting pressure is no big deal for me. I realize most people don't own a compressor and adjust the pressure probably requries a trip to a gas station, few gas stations even have air compressors anymore and those that do usually charge to use them <sigh>. If it weren't for the convenience of having my own compressor I probably wouldn't bother to do it nearly as often. As a bonus, I can also pop the air cleaner and blow it out from time to time -- a dirty air cleaner can account for a lot of lost fuel economy.

Of course I also thoroughly wash the car, wax it, and then spray the whole thing with PAM non-stick cooking spray so that it slips through the air easier.

Ok... I *might* have made that last part up. =)

Regards,
Tim

Old 03-29-2007, 09:58 PM
Prof. of Hybridology

Originally Posted by tcampb01
Now that winter is over, my own fuel economy is coming back up. Winter fuel economy is always awful but that's to do with most of my trips being less than 15 minutes of driving -- so the car barely warms up in the cold weather by the time I've arrived at my destination.

I finally had to refuel again tonight (something I seem to do less than once a month) and I reset the average fuel economy reading as I always do. I drove into the city and back (mostly freeway driving but some surface streets) -- about 15 miles in, dinner for a few hours, then 15 miles back. The 30 mile round trip (including allowing the car to cool off for 2 hours in about 45-50 degree temps) was 33.2 MPG and this is in my 4WD.

33 MPG on highway driving might seem great considering the 4WD FEH is only supposed to average 29 on the highway (33 city), but I've done this _same_ trip and actually averaged 40 MPG on the 30 mile round trip in the 4WD (of course that was rush hour driving so the freeway wasn't moving fast.)

I use cruise as often as possible. I confess that in a 70 zone I don't really drive 70... I usually drive 65, but tonight there wasn't much traffic so I drove 60 instead (no fear of someone plowing into the back of me) and when the freeway gets into the inner city area the speed limit drops to 55 and I actually do drop the cruise down to 55.

When on surface streets I look at the color of the next traffic light, but also at several lights beyond to see if they are in-sync and estimate how long they've been red or green and if they might be due to change soon. I also look at the pedestrian Walk/Don't-Walk signs for a hint as to what the traffic light is about to do. Based on what the lights are doing I'lll come off the gas when I'm 1/4 mile away from the light if I know it's due to change (since I know there's no way I'll make the light anyway -- why burn the fuel and then have to use too much break pressure to stop when I can coast instead?)

I check my tire pressure often (several times per month) and especially if there's a big drop in temps. However the car is garaged and I own my own air-compressor sitting right next to the car so adjusting pressure is no big deal for me. I realize most people don't own a compressor and adjust the pressure probably requries a trip to a gas station, few gas stations even have air compressors anymore and those that do usually charge to use them <sigh>. If it weren't for the convenience of having my own compressor I probably wouldn't bother to do it nearly as often. As a bonus, I can also pop the air cleaner and blow it out from time to time -- a dirty air cleaner can account for a lot of lost fuel economy.

Of course I also thoroughly wash the car, wax it, and then spray the whole thing with PAM non-stick cooking spray so that it slips through the air easier.

Ok... I *might* have made that last part up. =)

Regards,
Tim

Good stuff, I'm seeing much of the same. Looks like MI is finally thawing. My tank is currently at 32.4, a far cry from recent tanks. I'm hoping to hit 40 for a tank sometime this summer, since getting 37 was getting pretty easy by the end of the summer.

Old 03-30-2007, 04:54 AM

I can't break 30 MPG ever. I do everything except the hypermile unsafe techniques which i will not do. Still under 1K miles.
In good weather, I get around 31 MPG. Part of what worked for me, is to replan my driving routes, like the one to/from work, to use side streets which have 35 MPH speed limits or less. There is also a lot less traffic on those streets. So, I can typically use and stay in EV mode until the batteries give out, and that is really the best anyone can do.

Yea, it takes me long to get to/from work. But actually, it is a whole lot more relaxing of a drive.

Old 03-30-2007, 08:23 PM
Enthusiast

I've been lurking for awhile, and this seems as good a spot to jump in as any.

Just completed my first 1000+ mile trip on my AWD 07 FEH. 4200 total miles, with the first 3200 all being commuting around in Denver during this winter.

Anyway, worst full commuting tank has been 25, best full commuting tank has been 30. But the TRIP...now THAT was interesting. 29 mpg from Denver over the mountains to Grand Junction, but 38 mpg from Grand Junction down to Moab via interstate plus siteseeing in Arches and Canyonlands. 33 mpg from Moab to Monument Valley and back. 32 mpg from Grand Junction back to Denver.

Personally, I'm more than a little stunned by both the wild variation as well as the outright numbers themselves.

I'm pretty convinced that a 30-33+ commuting number is completely doable during warm weather. I'm not surprised by a 29-32 mpg average during 70+mph interstate driving ( 2 adults, 2 kids, 1 dog, 200# of travel junk ) but the low speed ( 35-50mph ) steady state secondary road driving mileage is just exceptional.

Anyway, after having been victimized by the "Quality is Job 1" gang before, I'm pretty happy with this one so far.

Quick Reply: Ford Escape MPG

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands