Fumotovalve ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2007, 01:32 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Fumotovalve ?

Anyone install one of these oil drain valves on their FEH? http://www.fumotovalve.com/

Old 06-02-2007, 10:01 AM
Default Re: Fumotovalve ?

bump

Old 06-02-2007, 08:12 PM
Active Enthusiast

I guess my first question would be - why bother?

Since the oil change interval on the FEH is 10,000 miles, that's not frequent enough that it'd make it any real advantage. On a normal car where you're changing it every 3,000 miles maybe, but not on an FEH.

Plus, safety valve or not, I'd still not trust it that something couldn't pop it open and drop all your oil out - rock kicked up, branch or something if you're off-road, snow if you're going through a drift (although that would be more for my location than yours, lol), etc. The drain hole is right at the bottom of the oil pan and that thing would just be an easy target for something to accidentally trip it open. (ie - see their item #1 under "Safety").

Last edited by chesterakl; 06-02-2007 at 08:16 PM.
Old 06-03-2007, 08:34 AM

Yeah, I guess I agree with your thoughts on the valve. I had one on an airplane and always liked the concept. But with the 10k mile oil change interval, I'm only looking at something like 10 changes in the vehicle lifetime, so it's probably not worth the hassle.

But, it's only a matter of time before the guy changing the oil messes up the threads on the drain plug or pan. On my very first oil change the mechanic managed to bent the dip stick over at 45 degrees when he jammed it in. So I was thinking of the Fumotovalve as being somewhat idiot proof, since the mechanic isn't required to use a wrench.

Old 06-03-2007, 10:01 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I use one on each of my vehicles and they are great. Simple compact ball valve. Much cleaner oil changes.

Old 06-04-2007, 10:47 AM

I used it on my 2002 Avalanche and my son's 2000 Tacoma. Loved it for self-performed oil changes. Absolutely a timesaver and a mess saver.

Recommended, two thumbs up !!!

Old 05-10-2008, 10:46 PM
Ari
Enthusiast

I changed my oil today and installed a Fram SureDrain, model SD2 (M14 x 1.5) I use the exact same device on my Prius and Odyssey, it's a great little tool and you don't have to worry about the valve opening by accident.

Old 05-11-2008, 04:42 AM
Active Enthusiast

The fumoto cannot open accidentally. I have used it for years on my Honda and Mazda. I will put on on the TCH at the first oil change.

Old 05-11-2008, 06:06 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ari
I changed my oil today and installed a Fram SureDrain, model SD2 (M14 x 1.5) I use the exact same device on my Prius and Odyssey, it's a great little tool and you don't have to worry about the valve opening by accident.
I've used the Fumoto on vehicles in years past, with no problems whatsoever. I currently use the Fram SureDrain SD2 on two other vehicles, and like Ari, it works absolutely great, but only if you do it yourself. Why - the oil drains slower, which takes longer, which is no problem for home use.

Since I do all my oil changes, and the FEH requires much fewer changes, I'll probably just continue to use the drain plug.

If I took my FEH to someone else to have it changed, I'd opt for the Fumoto vs. the Fram SureDrain. I wouldn't worry about the Fumoto ball seal ever leaking. They are top quality.

Old 05-11-2008, 02:32 PM
Active Enthusiast

IIRC, Fram has stopped selling the Suredrain product.

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands