HD Radio as dealer-installed option?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2007, 10:27 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default HD Radio as dealer-installed option?

Anybody know anything about this, and if so - can we get it installed on the FEH's?

http://media.ford.com/newsroom/featu...?release=26070

Old 12-04-2007, 04:33 AM
Default Re: HD Radio as dealer-installed option?

I've been looking at a HD radio unit for my home and found that only one company make one. It's for a car, but an additional base can be added to an in house receiver. It's called Jump : http://www.evisteon.com/prod_serv/mo...mp/index.shtml
and is made by Evisteon. I looked for a dealer and found only a local Mercury dealer carried the unit, so they must install them also. I'm going to get one for my home and may also install it in my FEH if it's not to much trouble.

GaryG

Old 12-04-2007, 06:17 AM
Active Enthusiast

I've looked at those kind of setups also, but don't like the idea of the extra display/control panel I need to find a place for. And being in Minnesota, we can't stick them to the windshields - it's against the law (a stupid one though - just an end-around way for the state to try to make radar detectors illegal since they can't outlaw them directly, but it catches everything else too). And since I have the NAV package in mine, replacing the OEM unit with an aftermarket one is not an option for me since I got that option specifically for the Hybrid screen.

I'm wondering about what they specifically mentioned in the press release, that Ford has a dealer-installed HD option that can be installed in almost all 2008's and on many 05-07's. I'm wondering if anyone knows if this can be added to an FEH with the NAV package - or if we FEH owners fall outside that almost all category as usual with these kinds of things (like getting stiffed on having Sync as an option too).

I'll probably call my dealer today to ask them, but was wondering if anyone out here knew the "real" story about this system in case I get the "deer in the headlights" answer from the dealer.

Last edited by chesterakl; 12-04-2007 at 06:32 AM.
Old 12-04-2007, 06:29 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by chesterakl
just an end-around way for the state to try to make radar detectors illegal since they can't outlaw them directly)..

They can certainly make RD's illegal if they want to, they are 100% illegal in Virginia.

~John

Old 12-04-2007, 06:36 AM
Active Enthusiast

Virginia's state constitution is open enough to allow them to do that - Minnesota's isn't. The legislators tried it once and it got shot down by our state supreme court because it was against the MN state constitution.

So they just said "ok, anything stuck to the window is an obstruction of vision and should be illegal" and that passed and held up. Which doesn't take into account that anything mounted low on the windshield only obstructs my view of MY HOOD and nothing else - oh well.

Last edited by chesterakl; 12-04-2007 at 06:53 AM.
Old 12-04-2007, 06:56 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by chesterakl

So they just said "ok, anything stuck to the window is an obstruction of vision and should be illegal" and that passed and held up. .
It's the same way in California. You can't suction cup a GPS/RD or anything else to your WS there either.

~John

Old 12-04-2007, 07:46 AM
N/A

It's available for the 2008 model.

Part # A7FCS-HDRADIO-B (includes auxiliary input jack)
Part # A7FCS-HDRADIO-A (no input jack)

see Ford's accessories website at www.fordaccessoriesstore.com for more info

Old 12-04-2007, 08:28 AM
N/A

BTW, not that it matters a tremendous amount but...

The Zoom and Jump are made by Visteon, not Evisteon.

Visteon a big OEM parts supplier. Basically, in general terms, Ford has "Visteon" like GM has Delco. They used to be a subsidiary but are now independent. Or at least partly independent, I can't recall. I know they spun off some operations a couple of years ago but I can't remember the details.

Anyway, the point is that they use the name "evisteon" on some URLs to differentiate one website from another. It's not a big deal and you'll get to the right place eventually using either name.

Old 12-04-2007, 01:02 PM
Active Enthusiast

Well, so much for that theory......

Talked to the accessory guy at my dealer, and he said that add-on doesn't work with the NAV package - rats!!

Those of you without the NAV can still get it, though.