HEV Fuel Economy Screen Not Working

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2009, 02:08 PM
Enthusiast
Default HEV Fuel Economy Screen Not Working

It looks like the information on the Fuel Exonomy Screen (part of the NAV system) is working in reverse. Before, if we were coasting down a hill then it would show max mpg and if we accelerate the mpg goes down. Now it shows 0 mpg when coasting and if we accelerate the mpg increases. Has anyone seen this? We have a 2007 Escape 2wd with 38,000 miles and it just went out of warranty.

Old 12-29-2009, 04:57 PM
Default Re: HEV Fuel Economy Screen Not Working

Originally Posted by MDemeran
It looks like the information on the Fuel Exonomy Screen (part of the NAV system) is working in reverse. Before, if we were coasting down a hill then it would show max mpg and if we accelerate the mpg goes down. Now it shows 0 mpg when coasting and if we accelerate the mpg increases. Has anyone seen this? We have a 2007 Escape 2wd with 38,000 miles and it just went out of warranty.
I'd try restarting the Nav System like as in reboot. You must shut-Off all power and this means the 12V and HV battery. As you know the Nav system will run for 10 minutes after the key is turned Off. If you remove the battery ground the PCM cannot properly shutdown those modules that keep 12V power to them. The HV battery will continue to supply the 12V system through the HV D/C to LV DC converter if the PCM has not properly shutdown those modules. To make sure a power-Off to the Nav Sys is completed you must disconnect the HV battery by pulling the orange plug on top of the battery after the 12V battery ground has been disconnected. I'd keep it disconnected for a minute or so and then reconnect the HV battery and then the 12V battery for a system reboot. Turn the Nav sys On and post me in the morning with the results. Good Luck!

GaryG

Old 12-29-2009, 09:18 PM
Enthusiast

Sounds like the system think it is in K/100L instead of MPG.Because this is the behavior I have in Canada 0KHL coasting and increasing when I accelerate

Old 12-31-2009, 11:39 AM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert
Exclamation Re: HEV Fuel Economy Screen Not Working

Disregard Gary G's post.

You are set to read Metric! ( simple mistake and you can change it back at will )

This reads, Fuel per distance, not distance per fuel as the Brit's and American's are used to.

Most of the world uses metric, or zero liters of fuel per km used when coasting! This is the best way to tell if you are in fuel-cut mode when coasting... better ( more accurate ) than using an after market scanner.
I use metric on purpose when coasting a lot on big mountains.

HTH!

-John

Old 01-30-2010, 08:31 PM
Enthusiast
Thumbs up Re: HEV Fuel Economy Screen Not Working

That was exactly what the problem was. The computer system (center of console) had been changed from miles to meters and as soon as I changed it back to miles, the display started acting the way I expected to again. I am embarassed. I did take it to the dealer and they thought it might be the control module. They ordered one and when they installed it, nothing changed. They spent half a day on the phone with Detroit trying to figure this out and finally gave up and said they were stumped. As soon as I tried your solution, everything reverted back to normal. I e-mailed the dealer to let him know the problem was fixed. I would like to hear the discussion between the service manager, mechanics and the engineers in Detroit when they hear it was just a configure problem and not a hardware problem. Thanks again for the explanation and solution.

-MarkD

Old 01-31-2010, 04:04 AM
Active Enthusiast

You're embarassed? geez imagine how your service dept must feel.
When I test drove the used MMH I bought the screen was set like that,
took about 5 minutes to figure out it was L/KM, and another 45 minutes to switch it back.
I'd consider a different service location in the future,