High-pitched whine at 60 mph+

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 05:37 AM
SDF
Enthusiast
Default Re: High-pitched whine at 60 mph+

bmisf,
After changing the front axles (which didn't work), the dealer I went to basically said that it must be typical transmission noise...I don't know if the hybrids have the same transmission or not...would be interesting to know. I don't seem to notice it as much in the colder winter months, but it is still there. Also they have recently repaved most of my daily commute with a rough surface road, so I get so much road noise that it is mostly drowned out.

SDF

Old 01-16-2008, 05:38 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by queenfan
SDF-
That explains mine exactly. I also noticed that at lower speeds there's a lower pitched whine. Whenever I apply the brakes (no matter how light or firm) and press the accelerator, it starts up. I know it's nothing to do with the electric engine--that is still silent. I'm bringing my car in next week.
Is it louder just after you start the engine in the morning?

How do you know its not the generator? ie one of the two electric motors. Its pretty much turning any time the engine is going and also when you press the brakes (regenerative braking).... I assume that at low EV speeds you aren't hearing anything so thats why you don't think its the motor. Also... there is a high pitched wine from the front end of mine (I think its from the electric water pump) but its only noticeable when the engine is at low RPM or off.

Incidentally... we call the gas engine and engine and the electric motor a motor. It helps save confusion around here.

Old 01-16-2008, 05:52 AM
SDF
Enthusiast

TeeSter,
My Escape is not a hybrid...so I can rule out generators and motor. At first I thought maybe it was the fan or water pump, because the fan does seem to make a little whine when idling and my head is under the hood... but I don't hear anything when I rev it up (when idling)

Old 01-17-2008, 07:42 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I've heard the same whine in my FWD 08 FEH while in the 60-65MPH range. Mine seems to go away when I'm being less efficient (per the iFDC on the NAV display) and does not seem to be related to regen/charging since it happens with a full pack charge (again via the NAV display).

Since this is happening in both Hybrid and non-hybrid Escapes, it's probably not the transmission, engine, wheels/tires or braking (as they are all somewhat different between the two). So looking at the body and other similar parts configurations would probably be the right areas to find the issue. Maybe body design or electric fan/radiator? If it's cold where you live, maybe a radiator block would rule out the grill, radiator and fan as the issue? I fear it's too warm where I live to try this.

I can see where it would be really annoying if your ear was sensitive to that pitch. It doesn't bother me too much so I just safely reach over and give the radio a little volume increase and go on my way.

Last edited by MyPart; 01-17-2008 at 07:44 AM.
Old 01-18-2008, 05:34 AM
Enthusiast

Narrowed mine down: it kicks in when the electric motor is under load (e.g. driving up the slope of my driveway in EV mode), and is a loud screech that is distinct from the normal whine of the electric motor (the latter is obvious but not that loud).

In to the dealer this morning - hope they can reproduce it and figure out (and fix) what's causing it.

Last edited by bmisf; 01-18-2008 at 09:23 AM.