High Voltage Battery Failure (Update: False Alarm)

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2006, 05:45 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: High Voltage Battery Failure

I've seen this situation on complex electro-mechanical systems (or vehicles). All of the component vendors want to help with the diagnosis, but secretly, they don't want the problem to be in their component. Hence, the visit by the Sanyo engineer. Obviously Sanyo is very proud (and protective) of their record of success with these batteries.

In the meantime, the dealer service tech finds the grounding cable issue. Now, give the systems integrator (Ford) time to digest all the new facts and come up with a go-forward plan. These types of problems are probably still "one-of-a-kind" and Ford may need more that a day or two to resolve.

The new plan may be different than the original - change out the HVBattery - plan, but whatever it is, it should be more applicable to what exactly is happening in your truck. [If you really won't have the FEH over 3 years - warranties should cover you ]

Old 11-02-2006, 08:09 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nitramjr
It seems odd that the vehicle would start if the big battery was shot. I'm sure they have an elaborate test procedure for the big battery but I hope they don't waste a week waiting for the battery to come in only to find it was something else.
So, looking over my posts on this thread and the fact that I never retreated from my position that the HV battery HAD NOT FAILED do you think you might find it in your heart to cut me a little slack?
I have no clue what you were talking about with that last post wwest. I made no guesses as to what was wrong with the vehicle in question except what I said above.

Last edited by nitramjr; 11-03-2006 at 05:01 AM. Reason: burying the hatchet
Old 11-03-2006, 02:58 AM
Super Moderator & Contributor ($)

Gents please bury the hatchet asap.....

Old 11-03-2006, 09:23 AM

I was referring to a different thread, the one that contains this ""tongue in cheek" post:

Originally Posted by nitramjr
We all have the same problem. It is a design flaw with these vehicles.

If you have any doubt it is working correctly, flip the climate control to max a/c and the engine will start right up. Then flip back to vent, save some gas and drive away. It's very addictive.

Enjoy.

Last edited by wwest; 11-03-2006 at 09:25 AM.
Old 11-03-2006, 11:08 AM
Enthusiast

11/03 update,

I got the vehicle back this morning. They did not replace the HV battery. Just tightened up the loose bolt, and put it all back together. I have driven it about 20 miles so far, and so far so good, not a hiccup.

I asked about future problems with all the onboard computers,, They said nobody really knows what kind of problems might happen. The Ford Hot-Line tech thought we should have no problem as they are tested for such scenarios.

For now everything is great.

Old 11-03-2006, 01:40 PM

Welcome back.

Assuming that the loose wire was the only problem and nothing was hurt in the process, I'm sure you will come to enjoy your vehicle like all of us do.

It really is a shame that something like a loose wire would cause so much grief. Why isn't there time to do it right but always time to do it twice?

Keep us informed if anything changes.

Enjoy.

Ray