Hot weather and MPG

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2007, 07:01 AM
Omnia Gloria Fugit
Default Hot weather and MPG

We have been blessed/cursted with mild, RAINY weather untill this week we went from mid 80's to mid 90's this week. now my MPG is off 1.5 mpg. Has this been the experience of others in hot climates? My A/C use and trips are the same. THis data is off the average on the nav system not calculated. Though I did see a .5 drop in my last calculated tank and it included 2 days of heat.

Old 07-13-2007, 07:58 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Hot weather and MPG

Originally Posted by Mark E Smith
We have been blessed/cursted with mild, RAINY weather untill this week we went from mid 80's to mid 90's this week. now my MPG is off 1.5 mpg. Has this been the experience of others in hot climates? My A/C use and trips are the same. THis data is off the average on the nav system not calculated. Though I did see a .5 drop in my last calculated tank and it included 2 days of heat.
Your A/C use may be the same. However the battery in the back is turning your compressor on more to keep in its operating range.

Old 07-13-2007, 08:37 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I live and drive in Phoenix, which has to be the hottest place to drive outside of Death Valley or maybe El Centro. My A/C will run almost constantly, excluding EV except very early in the morning. I have tried putting blue ice packs on top of the HVB, but they need at least half an hour to drop the battery temp even a few degrees. When I leave work in the late afternoon, my battery temp is usually around 43C and it takes about 4-5 miles of A/C to drop it to around 35C, where it will no longer call for A/C, although it will always use it when it's already on. I can get some great FE numbers on early morning drives, but otherwise it's a struggle to even hit 33 MPG in the city. I filled up my tank at 6:00am last time and got 62.7MPG for 9 miles, but it now sits at 33.7MPG a hundred miles later.

Old 07-13-2007, 08:48 AM
Omnia Gloria Fugit

DD how are you monitoring the batt temp?

Old 07-13-2007, 01:37 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

See:
https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...ad.php?t=14418

After you see tESt on the display, press the Odo reset a bunch of times until you see bt xx on the display. It is degrees Celsius.