Intermittent Rattle from Cluster Area

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2008, 08:17 AM
Feral Engineer
Default Intermittent Rattle from Cluster Area UPDATE

OK, I figured out that the rattle is actually caused by the gear shift button. It is amazing how hard it is to determine the direction it was coming from.

At any rate, has anyone experienced this and fixed it themselves?

Old 09-04-2008, 12:41 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Intermittent Rattle from Cluster Area

I had a rattle in the console just ahead of the gearshift where it meets the dash last winter. I fixed it with some gentle pounding.

Now I'm chasing one where the dash meets the windshield on the driver's side left. It sounds like sticky tape continually being put together and pulled apart. But inserting a piece of paper well into all the crevasses I can find doesn't seem to dampen anything. At least I can sort of reach the area while driving.

I also have several creaks in the rear cargo area. Wedging bits of folded paper into the joints between sections doesn't seem to help much.

Old 09-04-2008, 06:02 PM
Enthusiast

I have more a knock and I think it is the air dampner moving open and closing. But sounds more like a knock to me. Something on a pendilum, but not related to movement of the vehicle per se.

Old 09-05-2008, 12:00 PM
Feral Engineer

My issue is a steady rattle as I drive on a gravel road. Depressing the button on the gearshift stops it instantly. It sounds like a spring rattling on a piece of hard plastic inside the button.

Old 09-05-2008, 04:32 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

On our 08 there was a plastic moulding on the OUTSIDE lower drivers side corner of the windshield that made a rattle similar to what you are describing. It sounded like it was INSIDE.. I took a tiny piece of double stick tape and slid it between the moulding and the windshiled and the rattel was gone.

Hope this is your rattle and you fix it this easily!

Sean

Old 10-01-2008, 06:09 PM
Feral Engineer
Default Intermittent Rattle from Cluster Area UPDATE

I fixed the gearshift rattle on my 2007 FEH - at least for now. To remove the gear shift assembly, remove the small allen head screw on the front of the shifter. The whole assembly just comes off. Pry off the silver colored cap on the back with a screwdriver in the slot at the bottom of the cap. The button that you push to release the lever is held in by four prongs on the back side. Gently push each of these four inward until the button can be pushed out. The source of the noise (I think) is the steel spring tapping the hard plastic. I put a piece of foam rubber inside the spring to dampen it. I also added some viscous lithium grease to the assembly (some was there already) to keep it from rattling in its slot.

So far, so good.

Old 10-02-2008, 09:36 PM
Active Enthusiast

I had a rattle that seemed to be coming from the drivers side dash area, i thought it was behind the cluster, a passenger helped find it, it ended up being my scangauge, its mounted to my rear view mirror, if I tap it I can replicate the rattle sound, its amazing how the sounds can seem to be coming from somewhere not even close, so just to be sure check you scangauge. mine is a 2005 feh just to let everyone know. hope this helps

Old 10-06-2008, 08:48 AM
MrT
Enthusiast

I have a little bit of one in our '08 FEH (12k miles). It's coming from behind the radio. I thought it was the CD transport, and it sounds like either a disc player or hard drive that's searching or failing. But I've heard it separate from the CD player working, so I don't think that's it. And we don't have the navigation system, just the changer.

The other odd thing that happened was that the wrench light came on last Thurs night. Didn't drive it again until Sun (had to), b/c I was thinking it needed to go to the shop. Lo and behold, no more wrench light.