Key on

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2007, 06:10 AM
Lt. Green 06 FEH
Default Re: Key on

Originally Posted by jtsparks2
I told this to my wife, who usually drives our Escape, and she just rolled her eyes at me. She knows what a dork I am lol

Told my wife too, and she said... "I don't care how it does the little starty thing as long as it starts.... "

Old 12-05-2007, 06:16 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Luke1975
I also was wondering the second part of your question about the throttle so one day when at a idle I pushed the throttle to the floor and there was NO reaction as in non-hybrid car it would rev-up.

I noticed the other day that my 06 FEH actually does rev up somewhat if I step on the gas in nuetral. It doesn't rev like a normal car would, but it does respond & rev up a little bit.

This kind of surprised me because the 05 FEH I used to own gave no reaction whatever when I did the exact same thing???

~John

Old 12-05-2007, 01:55 PM
Enthusiast

I am disappointed that the shifter waste all that space between the seats. Its only a switch that could take almost no room but NNOOO!! they have to waste all that space so it looks like a normal car.

Old 12-05-2007, 02:50 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MrCrank
I would have gone one step further: keyless operation. That's where the key is basically an RFID tag that sits in your pocket, but as long as it is in the car the start button will work and the steering wheel unlocks. When you walk up to the car it unlocks.

The first time I encountered this was in a Corvette that I rented at Hertz in Orange County Airport. It took me 15 minutes to figure out how to start the car! Oh, well. It's an easy feature to get used to.
That is essentially already built into the keys with the Integrated Keyhead Transmitters (IKT). They are programmed to your specific car so that only those keys that are so programmed can start it. The only thing different is that Ford still makes push the button to unlock it and stick the darned thing into the ignition and turn it to start the vehicle. It would probably be pretty easy to do without the keyed ignition if they wanted to, but they chose to keep things the old way for some reason.

Old 12-05-2007, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by MrCrank
I would have gone one step further: keyless operation. That's where the key is basically an RFID tag that sits in your pocket, but as long as it is in the car the start button will work and the steering wheel unlocks. When you walk up to the car it unlocks.

The first time I encountered this was in a Corvette that I rented at Hertz in Orange County Airport. It took me 15 minutes to figure out how to start the car! Oh, well. It's an easy feature to get used to.
That is how a Prius works (my mother drives an 06 Prius), it is called a "proximity key"

~John

Old 12-06-2007, 06:10 AM

Originally Posted by jmorton10
That is how a Prius works (my mother drives an 06 Prius), it is called a "proximity key"

~John
Those things sound great until someone figures out a way (and they will) to get them to spill their guts to a transmitter carried on someones pocket... then someone will be opening your car and driving away, and they won't even have to pickpocket you first.

Thats why I laugh at those Express Pay things on credit cards. Yeah.. thats what I want... a way to have my credit card info transmitted over a distance. Sounds safe to me. Its only supposed to transmit a few inches but that can always be overcome with some work, and encryption is never unbreakable. Soon a theif will just walk through the mall with a "reader" and everones credit card will be dumping their info to the thief so he can go rip you off later.

After all... the express pay is soooo useful. My wrist gets sooooo tired of swiping the magnetic strip all day, I just can't handle all that extra work..

Old 12-06-2007, 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by TeeSter

After all... the express pay is soooo useful. My wrist gets sooooo tired of swiping the magnetic strip all day, I just can't handle all that extra work..

LOL, good point ;-)

I've always felt that was rather stupid myself.

~John

Old 12-07-2007, 08:13 AM
Lt. Green 06 FEH

Originally Posted by guerinkeywest
I am disappointed that the shifter waste all that space between the seats. Its only a switch that could take almost no room but NNOOO!! they have to waste all that space so it looks like a normal car.
Thats a good point! Why not go back to the old push-button transmission. I think the old Chrysler or Buicks back in the 60's used to have that??

Old 12-07-2007, 08:42 AM

To me, the shifter is in a perfect place for FE driving. I kept my right hand on the shifter and my elbow on the arm rest and constantly shift to the position that will give me regen (L), acceleration (D), and coasting (N) when I need it. It's very much like a stick shift vehicle when you try to get the most MPG out of it. Everything fits like a glove to me and I never have to look down to see what position the shifter is in.

GaryG

Old 12-07-2007, 09:33 AM

But remember they have to sell to the masses (or try to) not you or its not cost effective to develop the thing.

Quick Reply: Key on

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands