Letter from law group- stop safely now

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2013, 09:05 PM
Enthusiast
Default Letter from law group- stop safely now

So i received a letter from capstone law regarding this stop safely now issue. Has anyone else received this? They have a website set up to contact. Not sure the rules here about posting websites in post but if you google capstone law and ford hybrid problems it is the 1st post. I'm hesitant to call because it might just be a waste of time but wanted to see if i could get some insight on this here.....thanks

Old 06-03-2013, 01:17 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Letter from law group- stop safely now

Don't see how much, if anything, these ambulance chasers could possibly get from Ford, seeing as how they're used cars with used parts that are bound to fail, same as any other car.

Old 06-04-2013, 07:58 PM
Active Enthusiast

Almost every car I've had before would show signs of trouble to alert you to be wary. They didn't go "oh, so you're pulling onto the road from work in front of a semi, here, just let me randomly shut down for you". It's not the fail, it's how the fail is handled. If our electricians put in logic like that in our PLCs, well, they wouldn't be our electricians anymore.

Old 06-05-2013, 05:12 AM
Imported from Detroit

Originally Posted by hondarider90
Almost every car I've had before would show signs of trouble to alert you to be wary. They didn't go "oh, so you're pulling onto the road from work in front of a semi, here, just let me randomly shut down for you". It's not the fail, it's how the fail is handled. If our electricians put in logic like that in our PLCs, well, they wouldn't be our electricians anymore.
Electricians weren't allowed to do/make logic changes in PLC's without an engineer at the Ford Plant that I worked at. You might say that only engineers made logic changes.

Old 06-05-2013, 07:58 PM
Active Enthusiast

The point I'm making is that Ford made a product with flawed logic and has not fixed it since it has been brought up, they are in the wrong.

Old 06-06-2013, 12:44 PM
Cheapskate

Ford made a product with flawed logic
What is the "flawed logic"? The software detects a fault that is potentially serious and could lead to damage to the system, so it initiates a controlled shutdown procedure.

There is no 100% safe way to have a vehicle fail, hybrid or otherwise.

Old 06-06-2013, 03:59 PM
Active Enthusiast

So they couldn't have it detect it at a slightly lower temperature when it would be advisable to "stop safely now" instead of shutting off instantly when it reaches a set point? At work we have many things that if they get too hot we shut them down, but they have an alarm that goes off first so we can correct the problem before it reaches the critical temperature that shuts it down. I see no reason why a few bits could not have been added to change that. A simple TON bit that you can't get simpler than would improve safety immensely.

Old 06-06-2013, 06:31 PM
Enthusiast

So they couldn't have it detect it at a slightly lower temperature when it would be advisable to "stop safely now" instead of shutting off instantly when it reaches a set point? At work we have many things that if they get too hot we shut them down, but they have an alarm that goes off first so we can correct the problem before it reaches the critical temperature that shuts it down. I see no reason why a few bits could not have been added to change that. A simple TON bit that you can't get simpler than would improve safety immensely.
I think if it fails, the ICE should be able to operate the vehicle as sole power source. To allow a vehicle to potentially kill occupants to save a system is absolutely insane.

Old 06-07-2013, 01:58 PM
Active Enthusiast

The MCES pump is a transaxel cooler though. The motor and generator are within the transaxel, so allowing the ice to run would increase that heat if the mces stops. HOWEVER, there is no need for an instant stop at a setpoint, there should be an alarm beforehand at a lower temperature.