Major jump in MPG

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2005, 05:17 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Major jump in MPG

I am pleased yet curious as to my recent jump in the mileage in my '06. I went from getting about 32-33 average to almost 35 my last tank and so far on this tank I am showing 39.9 over almost 100 miles. If you want to look at my tanks, the car is called Rebrid in the FEH 2WD category.

I have been driving exactly the same as I had been, the weather has been hot for a couple months and I have pretty much just been travelling back and forth to work as usual. I have about 3800 miles on it. Could it just be break-in finally taken place? Seems weird but obviously in a good way.

Believe me, I am not complaining, just wondering if anyone else has seen this happen.

Old 08-18-2005, 06:25 PM
Megageek
Default Re: Major jump in MPG

Man, I'll be ecstatic if my milage jumps at around 3800 (I'm at 3100 now and getting 32MPG with the 4WD) I did have to modify my driving style to beat the EPA ratings and I'm happy I'm able to. I did so many thing at once (tire air press, removed roof racks, oil change) that I'm not sure which ones made the most impact (aside from modified driving style, I know that one's big).

Old 08-18-2005, 06:43 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

You can imagine how happy I am since the biggest reason to own these cars is for the mileage. I haven't changed the oil in this one yet so I can't attribute it to that, I did the roofracks but this tank has all been off highway driving so that shouldn't be an issue and I haven't checked the tires but I doubt the pressure has changed much other than minor temp fluctuations. I am puzzled.

You know what's funny, I changed my driving style after getting my first FEH. Now the modified driving style has become my normal style, even when driving a non-hybrid car. The only time I lay into a gas pedal anymore is when I get in the '65 Stang and make that 289 earn it's keep . I miss having 4 on the floor all the time...

Last edited by nitramjr; 08-19-2005 at 04:37 AM.
Old 08-18-2005, 10:19 PM
Prof. of Hybridology

I seem to have seen a boost already, I'm not sure if it was the oil change, break in, or what at 1200 miles. Then, there was another boost right around 3K. Man, if I get another at 3800 miles, I'll be overjoyed.

As it is, I'm really rather pleased, and I'm averaging 32-33 MPGs nowadays. If I don't get another boost, I won't be bummed.