Michelin vs. Continental Tire question

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2010, 06:59 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Red face Re: Michelin vs. Continental Tire question

Replaced my OEM Contis with the Michelin Latitude Tours in mid-May. Ordered on-line from Tire Rack.
Plus shipping to local Merchants Tire.
$14.95 each to mount and valve stem.
Minus $70 Michelin rebate.

Total out-of-pocket of approx $159.00 each after rebate. They seem to ride as well as any other Michelin product I have owned - and I have owned a lot. Not too worried about John's tread life experience. "YMMV"
They come with a treadlife warranty.

Old 06-03-2010, 08:15 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Michelin vs. Continental Tire question

Just had the Michelin Latitude Tours installed yesterday. Bought 4 of them on eBay from East Coast Tire for $599 shipped. Linked out to eBay from Microsoft Bing Cashback and received a $47.92 rebate in the form of Cashback which was immediately credited back to my PayPal account. I'm enrolled in the "eBay Bucks" program and received another $11.98 credit on the purchase. The $70 Michelin rebate form has been submitted. After all of my price maneuvering I'm down to $469.13 or $117.28 per tire. Mounting and lifetime balancing cost $50, so I'm rolling out the door at $519.13 or $129.78 per tire. Free nitrogen fill (life of the vehicle) at Ford today, so I think I did well in terms of total cost.

They are MUCH quieter and smoother than the Conti EcoPlus...way too early to form an opinion as to gas mileage.

Old 06-07-2010, 05:16 AM
Eager Novice Enthusiast

Got my Latitude Tours installed on April 16th. The three tanks since then have been 42, 41, and 42. Tanks from the same time last year were 43, 43, 41, so they are fairly even during the break-in period so far. They are certainly quieter.

Old 07-12-2010, 02:52 PM
Active Enthusiast

I don't know about roadnoise, other than that I hate it. I'll take others word about their Michelins seeming quieter, but I'd like to see some data.

I'm approaching 64K and my Continental tires have plenty life left in them. I don't think I've had any longer wearing tires than them in the 35+ years I've been driving. I run them about 42psi cold. 35psi got me poorer mileage (approx 2 mpg from what I could tell) and more noticeable road noise.

Has anybody done any of their own messing around with their tire pressure and gotten finite mileage improvements?

Old 07-12-2010, 03:09 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

I think 42-44 psi is the best spot to run 'em.

Lower = lower MPG.

Higher = higher MPG, but above 44psi tread life does go down.

Old 07-13-2010, 05:32 AM
Megageek

I replaced my stock Eco-Plus with the Latitude Tour's back in December. I had 94K on the Conti's and I probably had at least another 10-15K before they were down to the wear indicators. I replaced them because I wanted the extra tread depth for the winter here in CT. I was shocked at the merked reduction in noise from the MLT. I ran the Conti's at 40 PSI for nearly the entire 94K I had them and I was very impressed with the wear and milage, but the noise was driving me nuts. I put about 15K on the MLT since early December and I really like them so far. My milage is comparable to the same period last year, so no points off there. They do tend to collect pebbles, but they're worth it in terms of noise alone for me.

Old 07-13-2010, 09:03 AM

I've seen many posts that claim that the MLT are quieter than the Conti's.
Unfortunatly, this is subjective. There is no data to support this.

It is very likely that NEW Michelin tires are quieter than WORN Conti's.
Thus, NEW Conti's are likely quieter than WORN Conti's as well.

Similar to posts of "This brand of air filter gives me better MPG."
In reality, ANY clean filter should give better MPG than an old dirty one.

Not wishing to cut anyone's opinion down.
My opinion is, it's not a fair comparison when you simply make a move from old to new. But who has the ability (with tires) to buy two sets of new to compare? (A lot easier and less costly to try with air filters.)

I'm only skeptical because I look at these things really closely. And so far, the only proven data is the Michelin are lighter weight than the Conti's, and the Conti's overall have had extreemely long tread life. ( 80,000 miles on mine, heard many reports of 90,000+ miles )

There can also be "good lots" and "bad lots" of tires of the same kind.
I had Conti's last really long, and I had MLT wear out really quickly.
There could be persons who experience the reverse.
They are both good tires, overall.
I slightly prefer the Conti's that are now discontinued.

I also have to wonder if the way persons utilize regen braking attributes to long tire life? Maybe regen braking is really gentle on tires?

Old 07-13-2010, 09:19 AM

That last part has me thinking:
I also have to wonder if the way persons utilize regen braking attributes to long tire life? Maybe regen braking is really gentle on tires?

For the 80,000 miles of my Conti's, the majority was city driving.
For the less than 30,000 miles of my MLT that wore out, it was almost all highway driving.

Most tire guys say that city wears out tires faster due to all the cornering and braking. On the highway, you more or less drive in a straight line for hours at a time without touching the brakes.

BUT... there is more horsepower hitting the road during highway use.
There is more friction with the road at 75 MPH than 25 MPH.
Also, there are more vigorous braking events slowing from 75 MPH to zero on those Mid-West Interstate ramps that are not any longer than they were back in the days of 55 MPH speed limits.

Old 07-23-2010, 04:04 PM
Active Enthusiast

Silly me, I meant to say I've presently got about 73k miles on my Conti's! I'm gonna stick with 45psi cold on them. No noticeable change in noise from 30-50 psi, but very difficult to judge. The road noise is driving me nuts though, as I've been doing a lot more highway driving lately. I guess the 1st hour or so is tolerable. My Bose noise-cancelling headphones recently died too,,,, not that I'd ever wear them while driving.......

Old 07-23-2010, 05:37 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Contential now makes a "ProContact" with EcoPlus Technology tire. See this link: http://www.conti-online.com/generato...ct_eco_en.html

80,000 mile warranty. Drawback? It isn't made in the 235/70/16 size. It can be found in the 235/65/16 size.

Quick Reply: Michelin vs. Continental Tire question

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands