Mudflaps or ClearMask?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2007, 07:53 PM
Enthusiast
Default Mudflaps or ClearMask?

Anyone have any experience with the 3M paint film for the lower rear bumper beind the tire? I assume it would work as well as it does on the front end. I found some pre-cut online at clearmask.com for about $50. The alternative is mudflaps, which Husky told me they'd have in the fall (the molded type).

Old 07-10-2007, 08:38 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Mudflaps or ClearMask?

Originally Posted by icebluemariner
Anyone have any experience with the 3M paint film for the lower rear bumper beind the tire? I assume it would work as well as it does on the front end. I found some pre-cut online at clearmask.com for about $50. The alternative is mudflaps, which Husky told me they'd have in the fall (the molded type).
IMHO the molded mudflaps are too small to be effective, particularly in the rear. Read some of the threads on mudflaps, and maybe get something bigger.

I'm going to replace my molded Ford mudflaps with something else, but still looking at what's available.

Old 07-10-2007, 08:47 PM

Isn't there all ready something on the body behind the rear tires? My FEH has what looks like a clear or painted plasic film all ready there.

I did put flat flaps upfront, and will probably be adding some flats to the rear soon. Check the link in my sig for some pics.

Old 07-11-2007, 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by econoline

I'm going to replace my molded Ford mudflaps with something else, but still looking at what's available.
Same here, I have the molded flaps also but they are too small to be really effective (although they look nice)

~Jophn

Old 07-11-2007, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by jmorton10
Same here, I have the molded flaps also but they are too small to be really effective (although they look nice)

~Jophn
Have you found anything yet that might work? Looks like the flat Ford flaps are considerably wider and would do the job. Seems to me like I want a true flap, not something molded. I go on rough dirt roads enough that I'm concerned a molded splash guard would eventually get knocked loose.

So far the best I've seen are the Ford flat flaps, and a brand that Pep Boys sells, Powerflow as I recall, that look kind of like the Ford flap but mold into the fender flare for a more custom look. I think AutoZone has those too. http://www.powerflowinc.com/main/products.html

Let me know if you come up with anything.

Last edited by econoline; 07-11-2007 at 10:51 AM. Reason: add detail
Old 07-11-2007, 09:49 PM
Enthusiast

My MMH has a rectangular piece of clear mask film in front of the rear wheel wells, but nothing on the back plastic bumper cover behind the wheel. My wife drove thru some hot tar last week, and I didn't get to it until the next day--it made yellow stains in the light blue paint finish. Fortunately, not in a highly visable area. But I knew then I needed something on that back bumper....

Old 07-12-2007, 12:24 AM

I was just going to update my post, the "mask" I saw is on the back door, not behind the wheel as I first thought.

For now Flat I think is the only option, but from others reports, molded is to small to be effective anyway.

Old 07-12-2007, 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by econoline
Have you found anything yet that might work?

Let me know if you come up with anything.
I bought some huge generic flat flaps from Pep Boys yesterday, I can easily cut them to any size I want.

It will be a week or more before I get time to install them however.

~John

Old 07-12-2007, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by jmorton10
I bought some huge generic flat flaps from Pep Boys yesterday, I can easily cut them to any size I want.

It will be a week or more before I get time to install them however.

~John
Do you see any mounting issues with the generic flaps? How big are they and how much $ ?

I found these: http://tinyurl.com/2ooqpl Only $12/pair for the large size which are 19.5"L x 11.25"W.

The other alternative of course is the Ford flat flaps like this: http://tinyurl.com/33djos

Anyone know the dimensions of the Ford flat flap?

Old 07-12-2007, 12:29 PM

I have both. I might be in the minority, but I like the Ford mud flaps, believe they are relatively effective and would not have installed anything larger. The clear bra has been doing its job well, no issues.

Quick Reply: Mudflaps or ClearMask?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands