My Escape Hybrid is Alive!

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2006, 01:38 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert
Default Re: My Escape Hybrid is Alive!

It's becuase your hydraulic brakes have nothing to do with your gas engine. Zip. Zero. Nada. The same sounds happen when running the car, except you dont hear them when you are inside the car! When I've been in EV for a long time, like waiting for a bank teller with driver window down, I hear the same sounds.

The cool thing is, you have full brake power, if you turn the key on ( but not engine ) and want to go down an incline ( like my driveway ) in Neutral.

I agree, the open the car door to trip the brakes is a bit unusual... because I hate to re-pressurize the brakes just to get a CD out of the glove box... but that's life.

-John

Old 10-26-2006, 06:42 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TeeSter
I think the 30 day estimate from Ford is rather conservative... but don't feel like trying it.

As for self discharge rates.... to be honest I'm not sure if its % of the current charge (which approaches 0 charge asymtotically) or if its % of capacity. Also... these are NiMH but not "standard" NiMH batteries, they are a somewhat different chemistry, so I'm not sure what their self-discharge rate is and I'd be guessing if I gave one. The only point I wanted to make was that its like the amount of storage time is limited by self-discharge even if the brakes etc never cycle.

You'd think it'd be more than 30 days. Sometimes a car will sit on a dealers lot for 90days or more (they don't like them to though). It'd stink for a dealer for someone to say "I'll take that red one" only to have to jump start it in front of them
You make an interesting point. Mine sat on the dealers lot for 5 months. I bought mine from Jerry's Ford in Leesburg, VA. It had a VA inspection sticker with an expiration date of 04/06. I purchased my FEH in the End of August of 05. My FEH was one of 2 2005 models left on the lot. They were making room for the 2006 model FEH and MMHs. Mine started right up. The 330V battery had shown about 1/2 SoC on the SoC screen.

Last edited by rihavo; 10-26-2006 at 06:48 PM. Reason: Adding information.
Old 10-27-2006, 11:40 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rihavo
You make an interesting point. Mine sat on the dealers lot for 5 months. I bought mine from Jerry's Ford in Leesburg, VA. It had a VA inspection sticker with an expiration date of 04/06. I purchased my FEH in the End of August of 05. My FEH was one of 2 2005 models left on the lot. They were making room for the 2006 model FEH and MMHs. Mine started right up. The 330V battery had shown about 1/2 SoC on the SoC screen.
Heeeeeyyyyy... How'd you get a SoC screen?!

Old 10-27-2006, 12:16 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Seattlemander
I think hes referring to the green battery icon on the NAV as SoC

Old 10-27-2006, 05:47 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Seattlemander
I have the factory Navigation unit. I just press the button with the battery symbol.