Nav system rebooted

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2005, 09:46 AM
Enthusiast
Default Nav system rebooted

Yesterday, as I was driving home from work, I heard on the radio that there was a bad traffic jam on my route.

I tried to use the nav system to route around the jam ... trying different combinations to avoid certian roads, use freeways, etc.

One of the combinations I used (don't remember which) caused the nav system to reboot itself.

I wasn't moving fast, and it was obviously nothing critical, but it did make me wonder why it happened.

david

Old 12-22-2005, 11:45 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Nav system rebooted

I believe it is caused by a read error on thee data disks. I use copied disked and I was having alot of reboots until I switched back to the orginals and the problem was solved. So I made new better copies which seem to work fine.

Chris Brown

Old 12-23-2005, 09:31 AM
Escape Hybrid Enthusiast
Post Re: Nav system rebooted

Originally Posted by dmgibbs
Yesterday, as I was driving home from work, I heard on the radio that there was a bad traffic jam on my route.

I tried to use the nav system to route around the jam ... trying different combinations to avoid certian roads, use freeways, etc.

One of the combinations I used (don't remember which) caused the nav system to reboot itself.

I wasn't moving fast, and it was obviously nothing critical, but it did make me wonder why it happened.

david
Hi David –

It might not have had anything to do with what you were doing or a read error on the data disks. It quite possibly could have been your location, or to further explain, what you might have been near that caused the re-boot.

This may have been going on to me for a while but didn't notice it. I got the latest disk set from NAVTEQ (did check the date on the data and it is the latest) and ran the upgrade disk as prompted. Well it seems that every morning at the exact same spot (on a bridge going over some railroad tracks) I don't get not a full reboot but the display goes off (sometimes just all pixels) then it comes back up. I almost always have the FE screen up - it flashes the start-up ‘HYBRID’ screen then goes back to the FE screen. The only thing I can think that is causing this is possibly an RF signal from a relay unit or something near or below the bridge that is interfering with the CPU. At first I thought that it might be that I had hit a bump or something and I had a loose connection. It has happened so many times in approximately the same place, even in different lanes, that the connection theory doesn’t jive.

Hope this helps,

Old 01-22-2006, 06:09 PM
Enthusiast

I have had a problem with my Nav when the temp was <0 f the system rebooted continuously until the cabin temp warmed up a little. It has happened a few times all when the temp was especially cold.

Old 01-22-2006, 07:02 PM
Active Enthusiast

Probably caused by condensation on the laser optics. Once it warms up the condensation goes away and the system can read the CD again. I have that happen to my 6 disc changer fairly often on cold-wet winter mornings.

Old 01-22-2006, 07:55 PM
Enthusiast

I am not trying to access the Nav functions when this happens, although there is a Nav disk always inserted.

I also had a problem a couple of times when new the system would display "Focus Error" when trying to read the Nav CD. I had the dealer look at it and they could find nothing wrong. That has not happened since the 1st week though