New FEH owner with some questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2013, 05:07 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: New FEH owner with some questions

You say: "One thing I noticed in an engine diagram only there appears to be an actual starter, is used for first start or for everytime engine is started?"

--------------
Chuck ~ That's not quite a coherent sentence, but if I get your drift...
The FEH uses the 12V battery to power the computer used to start the car. So if the 12V is too weak - no starting. As long as the 12V is up to snuff, the car uses the electric motor to start the car. This means you have a 94HP starter motor. If the car has any chance at all of starting -- IT WILL. And quickly. It uses the electric motor every time to start the car, and sometimes that may be after the car is already rolling (by way of the electric drive). Does that help?

Old 03-09-2013, 05:32 PM
Enthusiast

Yes, I thought that was the case, like the prius using the cvt to start the engine.

I spent the day doing maintenance that I thought should be done on a used car just under the 100,000 mile mark. I know that the oil had been changed at regular intervals from the carfax and it also indicated transmission service at 60,000 miles. I put in Mob1 5w20 and a motorcraft filter. I also picked up the drain and fill plugs and 5 qts mercon V to service the CVT, to my surprise the fluid I drained was not red but amber like motor oil and very clean. Had I known that the fill was different I would have used a clean pan and just put it back in. I put the 5 quarts of mercon V in which brought the level up to the fill opening.

I am hoping that it wont be an issue mixing fluids, I did let it drain till nothing came out but I know you cant get it all out, I guess I'll find out.

I replaced the MECS pump with the updated pump as the original bosch was making growling noises. I put fresh motorcraft antifreeze mixed 50-50 with distilled water.

I also picked up a scanguage to monitor the SOC and it appears to be normal 40-53% range, the module delta voltage is .05 when not charging and rises to .11 during charging. One thing I noticed the car is from california and the underside looks like the car is only a few months old.

Chuck

Old 03-11-2013, 11:31 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by gadgets2sell
I also picked up the drain and fill plugs and 5 qts mercon V to service the CVT, to my surprise the fluid I drained was not red but amber like motor oil and very clean. Had I known that the fill was different I would have used a clean pan and just put it back in. I put the 5 quarts of mercon V in which brought the level up to the fill opening.

I am hoping that it wont be an issue mixing fluids, I did let it drain till nothing came out but I know you cant get it all out, I guess I'll find out.
The e-CVT assembly for the FEH currently lists for "only" $6,946. Have fun!

Old 03-11-2013, 01:21 PM
Enthusiast

"The e-CVT assembly for the FEH currently lists for "only" $6,946. Have fun!"

Yes that was partially what I was thinking! I have no idea what the previous owner had put in, I know its been in there 40,000 miles. Its amber colored and was very clean, there was only a minor smudge of material on the magnetic drain and fill plugs.

Chuck