New FEH owner with some questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2013, 10:18 AM
Enthusiast
Default New FEH owner with some questions

Hi

Just bought a FEH 2007 FWD with 99,400 miles. I live in Pittsburgh and the car is a central California car that sat for about 8 month in a DC garage after the owner was transferred to Virginia.

I have an 09 Prius and do my own maintenance and understand most of the hybrid systems on it.

First question on my drive of 240 miles mostly highway with lots of terrain changes the FEH averaged 28mpg, does that seem correct?

FEH has brand new Michelin Cross Terrain SUV P235/70R16, are they the correct tires for the hybrid?

Since the hybrid warranty will run out very soon is it worth having a Ford dealer review the hybrid system?

I plan to change the transaxel fluid and all the coolant is there anything else I should review?

Thanks for your help,

Chuck

Old 02-24-2013, 01:04 PM
Cheapskate
Default Re: New FEH owner with some questions

Originally Posted by gadgets2sell
First question on my drive of 240 miles mostly highway with lots of terrain changes the FEH averaged 28mpg, does that seem correct?
For FWD, that's a bit low but not greatly so (depending on your driving habits). Once it learns the fuel trim and the temp rises, so will your MPG.

Since the hybrid warranty will run out very soon is it worth having a Ford dealer review the hybrid system?
Definitely. I've only used one Pittsburgh area Ford dealer thus far (Shults in Wexford) and have been relatively pleased with their level of hybrid expertise.

I plan to change the transaxel fluid and all the coolant is there anything else I should review?
Make sure the MECS pump is working properly (multiple threads here on how to do so). The FEH reacts very poorly when the 12V battery begins to deteriorate, so check that out and replace it if it's marginal.

Last edited by elborak; 02-25-2013 at 08:39 AM. Reason: overlooked the FWD designation in the original post
Old 02-24-2013, 08:07 PM
Active Enthusiast

Another Southwestern Pa. owner --Butler County.
-The tires are not low rolling resistance. The Michelin Latitude Tour are highly recommended by owners
-You have a hybrid battery heater and hard wire connection installed in your vehicle. If you have engine block heater Option 41H installed in your vehiclel you can plug in your vehicle and heat the hybrid battery overnight. This significantly helps with driveability and mpg figures during the colder months of the year.
-The FEH came with a toe in alignment. A front end alignment can correct this OEM feature and help slightly with mpgs. However, make sure this work doesn't crack the ABS tone rings.
-Your highway mileage will vary and improve into the 30's region during the warmer months of the year.
-hybrid system differences--The FEH is designed to work the battery between 40-53% SOC which is less than the Prius. Getting more than 53% comes only from braking action and as one approaches 60%SOC (very difficult), the FEH software will reduce the effectiveness of braking on increasing SOC.
-Good luck.

Last edited by Billyk24; 02-25-2013 at 06:08 PM.
Old 02-25-2013, 07:57 AM
Enthusiast

It does appear that the vehicle needs to recover from sitting such a long time. I recently bought a 2007 MMH 4WD that sat for 7 months and my first tank averaged 27.1 on mostly highway driving with moderate terrain changes. My third and fourth tanks each averaged 31.8 and that seems to be where my fifth tank is going to hit as well. I'm in north Idaho and the weather is still cold here (mid-20's overnight with low to mid-30's daytime), probably pretty similar to what you have in Pittsburgh.

Last edited by SpudMobile; 02-25-2013 at 08:58 AM.
Old 02-25-2013, 02:20 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

The is no current hybrid vehicle that is especially good for FE with predominantly highway travel. No coastdown periods nor "constant" braking means the ICE must be used to maintain the hybrid battery charge level.

Old 02-25-2013, 03:17 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wwest
The is no current hybrid vehicle that is especially good for FE with predominantly highway travel.
I don't think anyone could argue that, but it's all a matter of perspective. Compared to a similar non-hybrid, it's still pretty darn good. My mother drives a Honda CRV, comparable size and on the upper end of EPA mileage ratings for a non-hybrid SUV, and gets 28 highway with a good tail wind and about 22 driving around town. My other car is a 2007 Nissan Sentra and it averages about 29 in the winter and 34 in the summer on my 68 mile round trip, all highway, commute. My MMH is averaging 31.8 on the same drive and it's still winter plus I have the benefit of extra room, 4WD and I can expect much better mileage when I do drive around town. Even if I don't see an improvement in my highway mileage when the weather warms up, it's still a win in my book.

Old 02-26-2013, 06:29 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks for the replies, I ordered a scanguage to get some battery details. I do have access to techstream for the toyota but that wont help here.

On the tires what kind of difference is there mpg wise between the latitudes and the cross terrains on this car? Would the latitudes suffice in snow or would the cross terrains perform better?

Since they only have 300 miles on them I could put the latitudes on and sell the cross terrains.

I plan to change cvt lubricant and it looks like it uses mercon V is that correct?

I will also change the coolant, is there a specific ford coolant to use? I have an airlift which worked well on the prius changing the ICE coolant. Also ordered a set of manuals on ebay.

One thing I noticed in an engine diagram only there appears to be an actual starter, is used for first start or for everytime engine is started?

Chuck

Old 02-27-2013, 11:37 AM

I switched from the stock Continentals to the Michelin Latitude Tours. The LTs are lighter...and that's unsprung weight...and are noticeably quieter. Since I live in Florida, I can't comment on their ability in the snow. From the reviews on TireRack, it would appear snow is not their strong suit.

I would anticipate a 1.5-2 MPG improvement in fuel mileage with the LTs.

TireRack:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSe...ting=S&tab=All

You might want to take a look at the Continental CrossContact LX20 with EcoPlus Technology. Would appear to be a great LRR tire that is also a bit cheaper than the LTs.

Last edited by GatorJ; 02-27-2013 at 12:46 PM.
Old 02-27-2013, 01:56 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

On the tires what kind of difference is there mpg wise between the latitudes and the cross terrains on this car? Would the latitudes suffice in snow or would the cross terrains perform better?

I plan to change cvt lubricant and it looks like it uses mercon V is that correct?

I will also change the coolant, is there a specific ford coolant to use? I have an airlift which worked well on the prius changing the ICE coolant. Also ordered a set of manuals on ebay.
For the tires, only replace if you feel if it's worth it for 1-2mpg improvement. Also LRR tires tend to be a compromise in slippery conditions.
The CVT fluid is lifetime for the vehicle, there is no specification to change. You may do more expen$ive damage attempting to change it than benefit of unnecessary service. For coolant Ford has a special specification. You can verify all factory maintenance info/intervals for free on owner.ford.com.

Old 02-27-2013, 04:48 PM

Thanks for the replies, I ordered a scanguage to get some battery details. I do have access to techstream for the toyota but that wont help here.

Since they only have 300 miles on them I could put the latitudes on and sell the cross terrains.

One thing I noticed in an engine diagram only there appears to be an actual starter, is used for first start or for everytime engine is started?

Chuck
I had two of my original Conti's go out at 25K (actually, only one, which had a big slice out of it - the other is now my full sized spare). Anyway, I replaced those two with the Cross Terrain. I immediately noticed that they were grippier than the originals, and my MPG did drop 1.5 MPG or so on average. I actually skidded the tires the first time I applied the brakes hard.

I have just replaced all four with the LT because I want the LRR, and from what I have heard these are fine in inclement weather.

I can say that those cross terrain's are great tires for holding the road. I don't have enough miles on the LT to comment on them very much.

EDIT: After a single day on the LT, I can say that I already feel the difference in the low rolling resistance tires. The car seems to glide better. I expect to get better MPG with these tires. Night and day difference from the CT.

Last edited by stevedebi; 02-28-2013 at 02:09 PM.

Quick Reply: New FEH owner with some questions

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands