New Navteq CD database

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2007, 03:41 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: New Navteq CD database

Originally Posted by TriggerHybrid
In addition, with the old version when I would ask for turn by turn directions and then push map to keep the big picture, mine would always revert back to the cartoon turn arrows everytime "she" talked. Now, if you are doing turn by turn and then push map, she will still talk, but the map will stay on the display with the red line showing your route on the map--EXCELLENT!!! (did I miss something on the previous version to allow this?)
I guess this is personal preference, but I am not sure I would like that change.

I, too, push the map to get the "big picture" when on my trip, but I like it when a major turn is needed, it switches to the turn arrow display with the bar graph "count down" to the turn. Especially when I look up ahead and there appears to be several possible places to turn.

Old 09-09-2007, 06:30 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by WaltPA
I guess this is personal preference, but I am not sure I would like that change.

I, too, push the map to get the "big picture" when on my trip, but I like it when a major turn is needed, it switches to the turn arrow display with the bar graph "count down" to the turn. Especially when I look up ahead and there appears to be several possible places to turn.

And we can both be happy now, because it will work your way if you do nothing after entering your destination, or if you press NAV at any time after pressing MAP. It will work "my way" if you press MAP again.

Best of both worlds

Old 09-09-2007, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by TriggerHybrid
Well, disks arrived today. They say "2007" in several places in the "fine print" on the disks, and of course Version 4V.

By the way, being **** and untrusting, I called NAVTEQ a third time this AM and asked, and was told the CD version was just updated last month, and when I asked when it might be updated again, she (different CSR than the other two) said that the updates for the DVD and CD are not concurrent, and said the CDs would update in over a year, IF THEY DECIDED TO UPDATE THEM. I don't think she had any knowledge of them stopping the CD updates, but I can certainly see them at some point no longer supporting this "old" method.
They'll support them as long as people are buying them and it makes business sense. So... One piece of advice for those here is please buy your own copies despite the expense and don't make copies of your friends.... I could cost us all future updates.

Old 09-09-2007, 04:00 PM
Omnia Gloria Fugit

I was shocked to find they dont have a download available.

Old 09-09-2007, 04:48 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mark E Smith
I was shocked to find they dont have a download available.
Each CD is over 600 MB, that would be an aweful lot of downloading, and since the file isn't stored anywhere (like on a hard drive), you'd have to download the whole disk and not just a small update, and then you'd have to create it onto a CD. The two day air delivery was quick enough, and at $10 was about as cheap as I've seen it.

I wish you could buy certain disks ala cart though (ie probably not going to need the Maine disk from where I live).

Old 09-10-2007, 07:48 PM
Omnia Gloria Fugit
Angry Re: New Navteq CD database

Got mine today and I'm STILL driving in pastures! Nothing has changed here in college station. One of the roads was opened in 2003 and they are starting to repave it now! the other in 2005. Still has me going the wrong way down a one way street. Guess I just wasted $226

Old 09-10-2007, 09:05 PM
Enthusiast

Sorry to hear that. I'd think they'd find much of this on their own, but their website does have a place to enter map mistakes, and correct for future versions. I know, what are we paying them for, but..........

Old 09-10-2007, 09:06 PM

Got mine today and I'm STILL driving in pastures! Nothing has changed here in college station. One of the roads was opened in 2003 and they are starting to repave it now! the other in 2005. Still has me going the wrong way down a one way street. Guess I just wasted $226
There is a place on NavTeq's website to report map inaccuracies. I've got a few things (one or two) that were changed here in 2005 that don't even show up in their latest update (the one the website shows) let alone on the FEH updates.

I thought NavTeq pretty much had a monopoly on producing map data for the various GPS's so in cases like that.... I think even the best units would be screwed. Or is there another source?

Old 09-11-2007, 05:06 AM

Buy a Garmin... One plus there is you can put it into a rental car or friends' vehicle or whatnot when you're not in your hybrid. And updates are better and cheaper. And no need to lug around 12 CDs or any DVDs.

/Garmin shareholder, but my advice would be the same even if that were not the case.

Old 09-11-2007, 05:18 AM

Originally Posted by GeekGal
Buy a Garmin... One plus there is you can put it into a rental car or friends' vehicle or whatnot when you're not in your hybrid. And updates are better and cheaper. And no need to lug around 12 CDs or any DVDs.

/Garmin shareholder, but my advice would be the same even if that were not the case.
Who provides the map data for Garmin? Its not NavTEQ?

Quick Reply: New Navteq CD database

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands