New owner (maybe)

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2006, 12:41 PM
Have hybrid, will travel.
Default Re: New owner (maybe)

I have both an '04 HCH and an '05 FEH 4WD.

To be honest, I feel more comfortable in the HCH than the FEH. Though the trunk is fairly small in the HCH, it still holds most of what I need when going on a trip with my two kids. The back seat of the FEH seems less roomy (especially behind the driver's seat), when I drive.

When I purchased the FEH, there was no other hybrid in the class. We have gotten over 30 mpg lifetime, and the unit has 50k miles on it. No problems mechanically, but you have to interview people who do the oil changes to make sure they know about "O" rings.

Maybe I should have waited for the Highlander, but the payments on the FEH were stretching the budget, so I probably couldn't've afforded a HiHy.

Old 12-07-2006, 12:41 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by WaltPA
You might to look at the Mariner Hybrid instead of the Escape Hybrid. The Mariner has better seats which include a lumbar support (that not even the Escape Limited has).
What other differences are there between the Mariner & Escape? I sat in an Escape and found it less comfortable than the Civic, Camry, or Prius.

Right now I'm leaning towards a Camry, but I do go canoeing occasionally and the Camry doesn't seem well suited to carrying or towing a canoe.

Old 12-07-2006, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by glennb
A year before my purchase, I rented a V6 Escape for a weekend during a trip to LA - you learn a lot more than just a test drive. The FEH is a full hybrid and there should be notable differences from the mild hybrid HCHI. Even though it is an SUV, it is a small SUV and us guys over 6' still have to be careful not to bang a shin on the way in. [right shin on left lower dash panel during the step-in] [you may, or may not, have had that problem with your Xterra]
If there's one thing I hate about my FEH, it's that step over in and out of the driver seat. It has caused me to bang the side of my head on the roof getting in, too many times. Wish Ford had left the floor level. Make sure your seat is as low as it will go, and watch your head!

GaryG

Old 12-07-2006, 03:15 PM
Enthusiast

Good post. I am working a deal on a 2007 FEH, and the dealer knocked off $1200 right off the bat, plus $2000 incentives. I've got X-plan, so it comes down still a little bit more. It is coming out $900 cheaper than a comparably equipped 2007 Honda CRV. Maybe they have gotten notice that the 2008's are already on Ford's website and they need to move these out. That's wierd, because I've looked all over Houston and there are less than a dozen on the lots. Noboby must be buying hybrids right now. I read an article in the news that demand for Prius and HCH have fallen way off, but it didn't mention the Escape. Are there any secret incentives to dealers on the 2007's?

Old 12-07-2006, 03:21 PM
Duc
Stock Sucks

Originally Posted by Hoop
Good post. I am working a deal on a 2007 FEH, and the dealer knocked off $1200 right off the bat, plus $2000 incentives. I've got X-plan, so it comes down still a little bit more. It is coming out $900 cheaper than a comparably equipped 2007 Honda CRV. Maybe they have gotten notice that the 2008's are already on Ford's website and they need to move these out. That's wierd, because I've looked all over Houston and there are less than a dozen on the lots. Noboby must be buying hybrids right now. I read an article in the news that demand for Prius and HCH have fallen way off, but it didn't mention the Escape. Are there any secret incentives to dealers on the 2007's?
$1200 wow that is better than I am getting. What dealer in Houston and what options does the FEH have?
Clif

Old 12-07-2006, 03:31 PM
Enthusiast

umm, 80 miles outside of Houston actually, 30 miles from my home, but I figured I would end up going into Houston to find one. It has the safety, leather, and appearance packages.

I don't know how it works, but if you go to www.blueovalnew.com and go to the forums, there is a link where you can get an x-plan pin. Might be worth a try.

Old 12-07-2006, 04:01 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

If you are not in a hurry, you might consider waiting for the 2008 Ford Escape.

Compared with the previous model, the 2008 Escape is 12 percent quieter on the highway (30.8 sones to 27 sones at 80 mph in the wind tunnel) and 20 percent quieter in high velocity cross winds.
For 2008, Escape Hybrid engineers made revisions to software in the control system to improve transparency, or the transition between gasoline and electric operation. The transition from all-electric to gasoline power to a combination of the two is now even more seamless and virtually imperceptible to the driver.

Read about it here: LA Auto Show: The 2008 Ford Escape revealed

Old 12-07-2006, 04:05 PM
Enthusiast

Yeah, it always works that way. We're in a hurry, or we would wait because the 2008 seems to address the 2 shortcomings we noticed (ride quality and interior quality). So far I like the looks of the 2007 better though.

Old 12-07-2006, 04:19 PM
Duc
Stock Sucks

Originally Posted by Hoop
umm, 80 miles outside of Houston actually, 30 miles from my home, but I figured I would end up going into Houston to find one. It has the safety, leather, and appearance packages.

I don't know how it works, but if you go to www.blueovalnew.com and go to the forums, there is a link where you can get an x-plan pin. Might be worth a try.
Can't find any forums under any tab.

What is he dealers name?
Clif

Old 12-07-2006, 04:20 PM
Duc
Stock Sucks

Originally Posted by nash
If you are not in a hurry, you might consider waiting for the 2008 Ford Escape.

Compared with the previous model, the 2008 Escape is 12 percent quieter on the highway (30.8 sones to 27 sones at 80 mph in the wind tunnel) and 20 percent quieter in high velocity cross winds.
For 2008, Escape Hybrid engineers made revisions to software in the control system to improve transparency, or the transition between gasoline and electric operation. The transition from all-electric to gasoline power to a combination of the two is now even more seamless and virtually imperceptible to the driver.

Read about it here: LA Auto Show: The 2008 Ford Escape revealed
Thought about that but could not find a release date, do you know when they are suppose to come out?
Clif

Last edited by Duc; 12-07-2006 at 04:31 PM.

Quick Reply: New owner (maybe)

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands