New SGII Problems

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2008, 05:18 PM
Default New SGII Problems

Today I filled up my Gas Tank for the third time and determined the '09 Nav Sys is not the problem. The SGII worked perfect in my '05 FEH, but it's reading HIGH for MPG averages in my '09 FEHL. The Speed and the Miles match better in my '09 with only 2 miles less than my OEM OD in over 700 miles. However, the MPG averages are reading ~5.5% higher than the Nav Sys.

Todays SGII Tank Average put me at 49.5mpg and my Nav Sys showed 47mpg. I was 14.4 miles passed the Dash 0 Miles To Empty (MTE) and my SGII Tank data said I had 84 Miles Tank To Empty (TTE). Add 84 to 14.4 miles = 98 miles left at 0 MTE. This would mean I have 2 gallons of gas left at 0 MTE. We know the '05 FEH has 1.3 gallons of gas left at 0 MTE, so where does the .7 gallons more come from? The Tank size is set at 15 gallons on my SGII's and at fill-up today, the SGII said I had 1.7 gallon left and used 13.3 gallons.

This tank took me 662.4 miles and I was able to add 14.444 gallons today. This would put me at 46mpg tank average and the Nav Sys said 47.0mpg. This is far from 49.5mpg the SGII Tank average read. My MTE after fill-up today read 683 Miles To Empty.

Here is the SGII Tank information before a reset today:

49.5MPG AVG
$48.4 Cost
22MPH AVG
3.8 Hrs TTE
29.7 Hrs
84.1 Miles TTE
661 Miles
1.7 Gal TTE
13.3 Gal used

My Fuel-Cut is set at 18

Any ideas Desertdog? Anyone? A call to Ron Delong?

GaryG

Old 09-19-2008, 12:00 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: New SGII Problems

Don't expect much from Ron. The customer support from SG is disappointing, based on my experience.

Old 09-19-2008, 02:37 AM

Originally Posted by econoline
Don't expect much from Ron. The customer support from SG is disappointing, based on my experience.
Hey Don

Is there anything you want me to ask Ron when I call today? Except for the recall on the first SGII that did not display SoC, I haven't had any problems. We've talked at length many times in the past few years starting with the first SG programmed for Hybrids. Desertdog (Carl) was also having problems giving Ron information on programming SoC in July '07 and I managed getting those two hooked-up after Hybridfest. Now we have just about every X-Gauge possible thanks to Carl. As I've discussed with Ron, the FEH/MMH is a big market for the SGII, so that makes a big difference in giving us priority with problems. I talked to Ron a month ago for about 45 minutes about a problem I was having with distance and speed in my '09 FEH and that was worked out, but it must be related to my MPG averages also. I'm still thinking Fuel-Cut is a programming problem with the '09 FEH/MMH and the SGII, but thank God the new Nav Sys was not the issue.

Post your problems here and I'm sure either myself, Carl or we can get answers from Ron if we don't have them and have never been fully addressed with Ron.

GaryG

Old 09-19-2008, 10:12 AM

Hi Gary,

Thanks for the offer of help. I'm still trying to get a response from Ron on the issue with the SGII not displaying SoC. I have emailed twice
and called twice. He said a solution would be forthcoming, but nothing yet, and I feel like nothing is going to happen on this issue.

You mentioned a "recall on the first SGII that did not display SoC". Is that the same issue and was there a recall that I'm not aware of?

Here's my email from January '08 that summarizes my problem:

===========================================

Hi Ron,

I spoke to you this morning regarding my problem with firmware version 3.15* in my ScanGauge.

The SG was purchased in March '07 and upgraded to 3.15* in October '07. I am using the SG in an '07 Ford Escape Hybrid.

The SG displays a blank display for the State of Charge XGauge as well as several other related XGauges. From discussions with other users on the GreenHybrid.com forum, this problems seems to only occur with version 3.15*, not 3.15.

I'm anxious to get a solution to this problem so that I can display SoC, which was my only reason for upgrading to 3.15.

Thanks for your assistance.

Old 09-19-2008, 10:35 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GaryG
Today I filled up my Gas Tank for the third time and determined the '09 Nav Sys is not the problem. The SGII worked perfect in my '05 FEH, but it's reading HIGH for MPG averages in my '09 FEHL. The Speed and the Miles match better in my '09 with only 2 miles less than my OEM OD in over 700 miles. However, the MPG averages are reading ~5.5% higher than the Nav Sys.

Todays SGII Tank Average put me at 49.5mpg and my Nav Sys showed 47mpg. I was 14.4 miles passed the Dash 0 Miles To Empty (MTE) and my SGII Tank data said I had 84 Miles Tank To Empty (TTE). Add 84 to 14.4 miles = 98 miles left at 0 MTE. This would mean I have 2 gallons of gas left at 0 MTE. We know the '05 FEH has 1.3 gallons of gas left at 0 MTE, so where does the .7 gallons more come from? The Tank size is set at 15 gallons on my SGII's and at fill-up today, the SGII said I had 1.7 gallon left and used 13.3 gallons.

This tank took me 662.4 miles and I was able to add 14.444 gallons today. This would put me at 46mpg tank average and the Nav Sys said 47.0mpg. This is far from 49.5mpg the SGII Tank average read. My MTE after fill-up today read 683 Miles To Empty.

Here is the SGII Tank information before a reset today:

49.5MPG AVG
$48.4 Cost
22MPH AVG
3.8 Hrs TTE
29.7 Hrs
84.1 Miles TTE
661 Miles
1.7 Gal TTE
13.3 Gal used

My Fuel-Cut is set at 18

Any ideas Desertdog? Anyone? A call to Ron Delong?

GaryG
My two thoughts are fuel cut setting and ethanol. Try dropping the fuel cut to 16 and after the next fill, adjust the fuel to give a factor of about 3.5%.

Here's a long winded post on straight gas vs. ethanol in a brand-X mini van. Our van has an overhead console with trip computer that displays temp/compass, average fuel economy, instant fuel economy, miles to empty, fuel used, average speed. Ever since new the average economy was off by almost exactly 10%. Every fill, the actual MPG was 10% +/- .5% less than the average economy displayed. I complained to the dealer, but was told that was within spec. Continued for years until a trip to San Diego where we refilled in Yuma on the way and again on the way back. On the second fill, the displayed MPG and actual MPG were dead on! I assumed that I must have overfilled and then underfilled, but back in Phoenix a week later when filling the MPG was once again dead on. Next fill, however, back to 10% high. I didn't put 2+2 together until the next trip to SD, when not filling @ Yuma on the way, but filling on the way back yielded an accurate MPG reading a week later when filling up again in Phoenix. Yuma had straight gas, Phoenix the year-round E10. After that, all trips to SD we filled in Yuma both times and got better MPG and accurate MPG readings. End of story, last Christmas the pumps in Yuma now had the dreaded "Contains 10% Ethanol which will reduce Carbon Monoxide Emissions" stickers on them. No more MPG boost, and the MPG reading is once again 10% too high.

Old 09-19-2008, 12:00 PM

I had a similar MPG experience recently while driving through DC. It went something like Tank 1 (100% hwy @ ~32MPG)
Tank 2 (100% hwy @ ~38MPG)
Tank 3 (100% hwy @ ~32MPG)

Oh to have the good stuff back again. I don't need ethanol to reduce my already SULEV-2 vehicle's emissions... I want my FE back.

Old 09-19-2008, 06:18 PM

Yes Don, that was my exception in my response about the SGII 315*, and yes I have the same problem with one of my three SGII's. Not sure Ron has total control over up-dating the chip and the cost for Linear-Logic because this is a generic gauge for all vehicles. I look at it this way, I ask Ron to help us out with the FEH SoC and he and Carl did what they could for the FEH/MMH. The two I purchased after the not so good one gives me the best SoC readings possible. All but one SG I paid retail, the other was with a group buy on CleanMPG.com. One of the first big box Hybrid SG, the other three were the SGII's. I donated my original big box SG to Rightlanecruiser a hard working Hypermiler putting himself through College that is now a Moderator at CleanMPG.com. All real good people who want to help each other if we can. The SGII 315* was a mistake trying to give us FEH/MMH owners something we never had unless we bought the expensive POS gauge from Ford for big bucks. I use my newer SGII's which are far better than even my 2nd Generation Nav Sys for HV battey SOC.

Carl, thanks for your imput and I will try the change in one of my SGII's in my '09. I will keep the other setting in the other to compare.

My Part, I agree 100%, ethanol IMO is a scam by Big Oil.

GaryG

Old 09-20-2008, 12:20 PM

Gary,

I'm not dissatisfied overall with the SGII, and in fact I bought a second unit so that I could finally get the SoC readout.

However, from a customer service standpoint, I am annoyed that Ron would assure me this issue was being worked, and had a high priority, when after nearly a year now it would appear that nothing will be done. I would have appreciated a straightforward response from the beginning, and perhaps an offer to exchange the SG or a nominal discount on another unit, just something to acknowledge that Linear-Logic accepted some responsibility for the operation of their product.

Old 09-21-2008, 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by GaryG
My Part, I agree 100%, ethanol IMO is a scam by Big Oil.
GaryG
Actually... I didn't think Ethanol was actually produced much by big oil... it sort of benefits the Farm lobby more than anyone.

Old 09-22-2008, 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by TeeSter
Actually... I didn't think Ethanol was actually produced much by big oil... it sort of benefits the Farm lobby more than anyone.
Big Oil does not have to produce ethanol to make a profit from it. Ethanol did not lower the price of gas here in Florida one bit, and ethanol is costing Big Oil less to add to gas. If Big Oil is paying $2.20 a gallon for ethanol and selling it at the same price of gas, who is getting ripped off? If ethanol causes a 15% decrease in mileage, Big Oil is making another 5% on top of profits of the 10% ethanol. Again, who is getting ripped off? I have not heard that Big Oil is fighting our Government over the addition of ethanol to gas. Also, how much ethanol is being added to the gas in Saudi Arabia, Iran, Iraq, Libya, Kuwait, and other OPEC Countries involved? This is why I think ethanol is just a BIG SCAM. On top of all this, our gas lawn tools are being ruin with the build up of sludge that ethanol causes when mixed with gas and oil. Same thing with my outboard motor on my boat.

If Big Oil produced ethanol and made us add it to our gas, the American public would know it's the SCAM it is for sure.

The thing is, ethanol does not have to be a scam. Take Brazil, they make quality ethanol from sugar and have became oil independent by changing their vehicles to run on ethanol.

In many States, we are given no choice to buy straight gas anymore. This means Big Oil now has complete control over our fuel. The big problem is our government gave them the control. I think a few States are now getting heat for mandating E-10. We need Change!

GaryG

Quick Reply: New SGII Problems

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands