New Windshield...*Sigh*

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2005, 08:28 PM
Prof. of Hybridology
Default New Windshield...*Sigh*

Making the drive today, I got on I-94, went around a truck, and watched a very small stone come at me, and hit the windshield. (Probably kicked up from a pickup a few hundred yards in front of me.) Instead of anything normal, the windshield acted like a drop of water, and rippled into a quarter sized distortion right in front of my face. I quickly ran the wiper, hoping it was a liquid, but it didn't change.

I got off at the next exit, and turned around, going back to the dealer, which I had just passed. Checking it out, it was indeed chipped. I talked to my salesman, who gave me a local glass repair shop, who if I told them they sent me, would give me a nice discount.

Going there, we discussed options, and I went with complete replacement. They and my insurance (AAA) would be willing to repair for free, but it would still be rather obvious, and there's no gaurantee that come winter it won't spiderweb. The good news is that it was done in a little over an hour, and it was only $100, which is pretty good for a brand new windshield.

So, it's resting now, and I don't have anywhere that I need to go tomorrow, so it can rest up, and then it'll be good as new. (It needs 24 hours for it to completely set and dry.)

My poor baby. It would've happened no matter what, I suppose, and of all the things to be damaged, this one is pretty easy to live with, but it's the first bad thing to ever happen to it, there's still no scratching anywhere. It sucks, but hopefully I'm either paid up or in for something good karma wise.

Some days it just doesn't pay to get out of bed.

Old 10-11-2005, 09:46 AM
reformed speed demon
Default Re: New Windshield...*Sigh*

sorry about the windshield. seems to be a common occurance in michigan. at least the roads are somewhat repaired in election (and superbowl) years.

last cracked windshield i had was about 3 years ago. it had to be replaced due to size and location. a month (!!!) after replacing it, it was cracked again. i refused to replace it due to cost and just left it. the crack wasn't in my line of site while driving, but it eventually spread in this crazy web that stretched from side to side.

Old 10-11-2005, 03:14 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: New Windshield...*Sigh*

Look at it this way... the windshield is about the cheapest exterior damage you can do and 'repair' to the point that there isn't the slightest hint of evidence that it ever happened.

If it had hit any part of the body then you'd have to worry about removing the scratch/ding matching the paint, and worried that it either wouldn't look quite right or would end up as the spot from which rust would begin to form in the future.