No To Ford Escape Premiums!

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2005, 07:51 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: No To Ford Escape Premiums!

I got my 2006 4WD Escape Hybrid at MSRP, but with my trade in, the dealer tried to get a hidden premium out of the deal. The thing is though, I did my homework on the net and knew what the true reasonable, fair value of my trade was, as well as what the "don't count on it" quotes were.

My dealership offered pretty close to the right value on my trade, but wanted a down payment and higher monthly payments than I was willing to go with. I laid the bottom line out to the salesman and without much haggling at all, I was able to do zero down and get the payments a little lower than expected! So while the price stayed at MSRP, they offered more on the trade (close to the "don't count on it" quote) and a lower interest rate (helps having a very high credit rating as well )

The internet also helped me to know a LOT more about the FEH than the dealership!!! My salesman even appologized to me for his lack of knowledge because it was his job to know more... I scheduled my purchase for the next day and he promised to learn all he could before my appointment (which he did, though I already had the answers).

In my latest auto purchases, it has been a great advantage to come in already armed with info from the internet. It seems that each time I mention I had reaserched everything on the web, thhe salesman backs off the old sales/drop routine and just gets to MY bottom line!

By the way, I asked for rear floor mats and instead of charging $25.00 to grab them from parts, my salesman got a pair out of another Escape they had on the lot (non hybrid, so the mats aren't exact, but very close) and gave them for free. I wonder what they do for the vehicle they took them from, since its window sticker shows a $25.00 charge for rear mats it no longer has... :lol:

Last edited by greenmachine; 09-16-2005 at 07:57 PM. Reason: corrections, additions
Old 09-17-2005, 11:32 AM
Enthusiast

I had been looking at the Ford Escape Hybrid when I saw the announcement about the Mercury Mariner Hybrid. I filled out a form and asked for a quote. A dealer down the street gave me a quote for $1200 lower than MSRP. He says that a car ordered now will probably not come in until January anyway so it sounds like I'll be eligible for the new tax credit on January 1. At the dealership, the salesman tacked on a $98 "Processing Fee" so I guess I'm getting only $1100 below MSRP. Has anyone else ordered a Mercury Mariner Hybrid? How close to MSRP are your quotes?

Old 09-18-2005, 03:01 PM
Enthusiast

I had a very good experience at Richmond Ford, Richmond, Va with Evan Weinstein 804-358-5521. The FEH I bought was the only one on the lot. I was not interested in 4WD which this car had and I was not interested in the audiophile navigation system which it also had. So, I convinced him to take the cost of the extra options off the car since it would cost more to order a car to my specifications. It also didnt have leather which I did want, so I was discounted again. I also wanted a real wheel and tire instead of the donut and got that too. I received more for my trade ( 2004 Chevy Suburban Z71) than I paid for it and got out of there for titles tags etc. There is no premium mark up for hybrids at this dealership, but I heard from a friend in Nantucket that there is and a waiting list. I guess it depends upon where you live.

Ive had the car for 1600 miles and am becoming ambivalent. I need to take it in for a tear in the rear seat where it folds flat. My MPG is not what I had hoped. Im happy with the size of the car, ease of parking and certainly it gets better mileage than my old car. Possibly I will get the hang of maximizing fuel efficiency through change in driving habits, but just today I was in my neighborhood driving 20mph and the display said I was on engine drive..so I just dont understand the car which I find frustrating.

The dealer was great though..when I was in the pick up my wheel and tire, they did have another on the lot with leather and I wish I had known it was coming in. However, I bought the car before Katrina and doubt I would have gotten the extremely good trade on my old car had I waited.

Old 10-10-2005, 10:21 AM
Enthusiast

We are new FEH owners and had a great experience with Fairway Ford of Evans in Evans, GA. David Postell went out of his way to find our 2006 FEH with the options we wanted and we had the vehicle in 2 days. This to me was over the top customer service... oh.. and the best part is we paid $500 under MSRP.

Gene Mohr
Mohr Photography
Martinez, GA

Old 10-10-2005, 04:20 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

The day I bought my HAH, I went to a dealer that I was prepared to buy the car from. I received a quote from the salesguy the day prior which was better than I found anywhere else. After the test drive, the salesguy went to his manager and came back to tell me the owner of the dealership had made a new policy that all hybrids will not be sold for less than MSRP. This was during the whole $3/gal price hike. Guess they were doing their own form of price gouging. But anyways, I told them that was rediculous as I was quoted a far less price the day before. So, they came down some, but only about half way between the two prices.

So off I went, to the next nearest dealer, which had the next cheapest price. That salesguy sold me the car for the original price which he quoted me more than a month prior. Which, was a little more than a thousand dollars cheaper than the first car.

I really wanted to drive by the first dealer to show the owner/manager/salesman that I purchased elsewhere...

Old 10-10-2005, 04:32 PM
Active Enthusiast

I guess the thing here is to not gig the entire company for the actions of the price gouging stealerships. IMO it's about along the lines of saying that I hate everyone whose name is John, because one person named John committed a crime. Ford Stealerships are not the only ones guilty of price gouging. Many VW dealers gouged on the New Beetle, Chrysler crooks gouged on the PT Cruiser, and Toyota stealers are still gouging on the Prius in places. In your shoes, I would still look for the FEH, as it IS an awesome vehicle, and worth the effort.

When I bought mine, I went into the dealership very late in the evening, and kept them on the defensive with prices for the Prius and FEH. When it came time to sit down with the finance guy to do the paperwork, I walked into his office announcing that I wasn't going to buy any of their payment packing garbage, and to not waste his or my time trying to push it. In the end, I got what I wanted under sticker, and without a bunch of free money thrown at them for junk warranties not worth the paper they were written on.

While I understand your frustration. You can't boycott every company that has an unscrupulous merchant. You'll quickly find yourself unable to buy anything.

Old 10-10-2005, 07:10 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Wolfman
I guess the thing here is to not gig the entire company for the actions of the price gouging stealerships. IMO it's about along the lines of saying that I hate everyone whose name is John, because one person named John committed a crime.
Exactly, Bryan! I already wrote in another thread that I had a great experience with L.B. Smith Ford near Harrisburg. Found one there on their lot, got a quote by email through their website about $1,100 less than MSRP. Totally no pressure for any add-ons. Other than my previous car (also a Ford, through Auto-By-Tel website in '96) definitely the best buying experience yet.

Keep looking around, use the 'net, the Escape Hybrid is definitely worth a slight bit of effort!!

Regards,
Fred