An Oil Change Boosted 2 MPG?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2005, 11:52 AM
Megageek
Default Re: An Oil Change Boosted 2 MPG?

Understood. Does anybody have more info on the pricing for the "approved" air filter for the FEH? $55 for what appears to be a standard filter is robbery. If the $55 was for the K&N and the "approved" filter is cheaper, then that sounds more reasonable.

Old 08-15-2005, 12:10 PM
Early Adopter

The Motorcraft filter (FA1772) can be had from PartsGalaxy. com for $41 plus shipping. They claim the list price is $50.

Frankly, K&N filters scare me. You're putting an oiled medium upstream from some sensitive electronics (MAF sensor and the electronic throttle control, for instance). I have yet to see any concrete proof that they do anything meaningful for performance, and what I have seen suggests they do in fact let more dirt past than a good paper filter.

Old 08-15-2005, 12:25 PM
Megageek

Agreed, but why is the paper filter so **** expensive? The regular air filters for the non-hybrids are $20.

Old 08-15-2005, 10:03 PM
Early Adopter

Probably because that filter is used in exactly one vehicle...the Escape Hybrid. (prolly the Mariner Hybrid too, but that's vaporware at the moment).

FWIW Purolator has an application for this filter now, but I have yet to find a dealer who carries it. I'm going to ask a local vendor if they can order one for me and what the price would be. When/if I get one I will post the price here.

Old 08-16-2005, 02:17 AM
Hybrid_SUV_Owner
Talking Re: An Oil Change Boosted 2 MPG?

Originally Posted by stevewa
Probably because that filter is used in exactly one vehicle...the Escape Hybrid. (prolly the Mariner Hybrid too, but that's vaporware at the moment).

FWIW Purolator has an application for this filter now, but I have yet to find a dealer who carries it. I'm going to ask a local vendor if they can order one for me and what the price would be. When/if I get one I will post the price here.
I was at Advance Auto Parts last night for a M/C issue (non FEH related). Anyways, as I'm looking around I poked my head into the Oil Filter section and can confirm Purolator makes an oil filter for the FEH. I looked it up, pulled off the shelf, and it looked right....with included O-ring. Cost was around $6 if I remember correctly. Can't remember the part#...but it was listed in their book.

Nate

Old 08-16-2005, 02:47 AM
Megageek

The Purolator part # is L15505. Can't beat the price and it looked identical to the factory filter I replaced it with.

Old 08-16-2005, 05:17 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I just looked at Purolator's web site (pureoil) and found that they list the oil filter, a Pure One version (better?), the air filter, cabin filter and the battery compartment air filter.

Someone is making these filters for Ford/Motorcraft. Judging by the selection they have, I am guessing it is Purolator.

Old 08-16-2005, 05:52 AM
Hybrid_SUV_Owner
Post Re: An Oil Change Boosted 2 MPG?

Originally Posted by nitramjr
I just looked at Purolator's web site (pureoil) and found that they list the oil filter, a Pure One version (better?), the air filter, cabin filter and the battery compartment air filter.

Someone is making these filters for Ford/Motorcraft. Judging by the selection they have, I am guessing it is Purolator.
Has anyone found a price for the Purolator air filter? I sure hope it's cheaper than $41. That's crazy!

Nate

Old 08-16-2005, 08:30 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I haven't priced any of the parts yet but according to the website they are available at Pep Boys, Sears, Advance and a few other places.....planning on stopping by Pep Boys after work and will report what I find.

Old 09-24-2005, 08:26 PM
Early Adopter

Here's the complete rundown of Purolator fitments for the FEH.

Oil: PL15505 (PureOne) L15505 (standard)
Air: A25567
Cabin: C25478
Battery: C25571

So far the only one I've been able to locate is the standard oil filter. One source on another forum indicated Ford gets its filters from Purolator in the US...the PureONE application is likely to be the spittin' image of the Motorcraft filter.

UPDATE: rockauto.com has the Motorcraft filter in their catalog now, for $29.99. The part to search on is FA1772. They also have a listing for the FP51 rear AC filter...$17.29 ea.

Last edited by stevewa; 09-24-2005 at 08:34 PM.