Which one is the drain plug?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 12:51 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Which one is the drain plug?

Originally Posted by Sphinx88
Bad news, I did not successfuly change my oil filter. I bought a wrong filter wrench..
Did you try removing the filter canister by hand? They aren't on too tight, you just have to overcome the friction of the o-ring. I've done about 16 changes between both of mine and have never had to use a filter wrench.

Try it....

Old 07-07-2008, 01:32 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nitramjr
Did you try removing the filter canister by hand? They aren't on too tight, you just have to overcome the friction of the o-ring. I've done about 16 changes between both of mine and have never had to use a filter wrench.

Try it....
O really, I am not a very strong person but I will have try, thanks for your idea!

Old 07-07-2008, 04:34 PM
OT7
Enthusiast

Drain plug Gasket part number is F5TZ-6734-BA.

List price $6.78

Old 07-07-2008, 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by OT7

Drain plug Gasket part number is F5TZ-6734-BA.

List price $6.78
If you get the motocraft filter... it should come with BOTH o-rings you need for both the oil filter drain plug and for the housing.

They didn't at first, and you had to get them separately, but after a while they started including them... My dad was a parts manager at a ford dealership and used to order them separately and "stuff" the box with the o-rings (they are required to do it right)... then later he didnt' have to.

Old 07-08-2008, 04:36 AM
OT7
Enthusiast

Part number is for OIL PAN drain plug gasket.

Old 07-08-2008, 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by OT7
Part number is for OIL PAN drain plug gasket.
Hopefully you don't need to change that one often. Its only the other two that they recommend changing every time from what I've been told.

Old 07-08-2008, 07:26 AM
Active Enthusiast

I am confusing. The O-ring of the silver hexgon female plug at centre of filter cap is easy to find. Using a 6mm hexgon male wrench.

I did not find O-ring for the oil pan drain plug, but found something robber like under the cap of that stud. Maybe it is the gasket. That wrench should be a 13mm hexgon female socket.

I went to store again yesterday afternoon and replaced the #2, 15 sides polygon oil filter wrench with the #9, 14 sides polygon oil filter wrench. The #9 wrench is a little bit smaller than #2, too. I tried without lifting my FEH, it seems a little bit too tight.

Hopefully next time I should be able to unscrew the filter.

Last edited by Sphinx88; 07-08-2008 at 07:29 AM.
Old 07-09-2008, 11:35 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

I use a pair of channel lock pliers to take my canister lid on and off.
I put it on by hand, and tighten another 1/10 of a turn with the pliers.

The 14-sided cap seems to be an odd size to me too.
I could not find one locally ( town of 100,000 persons ) that fit right for mine.
Pliers type tool makes a perfect fit every time.

Old 07-10-2008, 12:15 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by gpsman1
I use a pair of channel lock pliers to take my canister lid on and off.
I put it on by hand, and tighten another 1/10 of a turn with the pliers.

The 14-sided cap seems to be an odd size to me too.
I could not find one locally ( town of 100,000 persons ) that fit right for mine.
Pliers type tool makes a perfect fit every time.

Thanks! Next time I am thinking unscrew the filter cap first, (Not completely removed, just loosen it before I remove the oil pan drain plug). If ok then it is OK to change oil, otherwise I need to order a filter wrench before I drain all the oil.

So Last time I only changed the oil without changing the filter. Since now the oil is new, If I try to change the filter now without unplug the oil pan plug, but only remove the filter, how much oil I could lost?

My colleague told me I will just lost a little because the position of filter is much higher than the position of oil pan drain plug...

Old 07-10-2008, 10:57 PM
Active Enthusiast

I'd recommend draining the filter using its plug after draining the pan (less oil on the hand.) The filter wrench I purchased at AutoZone is perfect. (OEM Oil Filter "B" Cap Wrench, (25401) for $3.99.)

I'd argue that this vehicle has to be one of the easiest for non-mechanics, no jacks, couldn't be easier to get to.

Last edited by leoashton; 07-10-2008 at 11:02 PM.

Quick Reply: Which one is the drain plug?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands