Performance Chip for the Hybrid Escape

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2007, 03:47 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Smile Re: Performance Chip for the Hybrid Escape

Originally Posted by Tim K
Just because a vehicle CAN do something, doesn't mean it SHOULD.

Also, I don't know about the pulling power of this vehicle on hills. We are talking about a 4 cylinder engine tweeked for fuel economy not power. I'd be nervous trying to take a 1500LB trailer up a steep incline. I'd recommend finding a steep hill and doing a test drive. See how it feels accelerating up the incline without a trailer and then decide if you want to try the same with a trailer.
Years ago when I had my 1989 six cylinder Taurus wagon (140 HP) and towed my nearly 1400lb load, I suffered several vapor lockups on the long uphills. I had no warning and my temperature gauge did not indicate any overheating. This was scary and I do not want to repeat this again. I learned to stop shortly before the uphill section arrived, open the gas cap and vent the system to eliminate the vapor lockup. I did the same once I cleared the hill top. It is for this reason I am asking about a performance chip upgrade. Most of these chip upgrades are reversible and owners do this procedure prior to taking the vehicle to the dealership.

Old 04-18-2007, 04:17 PM
Default Re: Performance Chip for the Hybrid Escape

Originally Posted by Billyk
Years ago when I had my 1989 six cylinder Taurus wagon (140 HP) and towed my nearly 1400lb load, I suffered several vapor lockups on the long uphills. I had no warning and my temperature gauge did not indicate any overheating. This was scary and I do not want to repeat this again. I learned to stop shortly before the uphill section arrived, open the gas cap and vent the system to eliminate the vapor lockup. I did the same once I cleared the hill top. It is for this reason I am asking about a performance chip upgrade. Most of these chip upgrades are reversible and owners do this procedure prior to taking the vehicle to the dealership.
Billy, I wouldn't advise you to play with chips in a hybrid, much less the FEH/MMH.
http://www.motorcraftservice.com/vdi...DSM500_HEV.pdf Look at page 49 on this document regarding chips used in the FEH/MMH. It's good reading the entire document if you understand somewhat how the FEH/MMH works.

GaryG

Old 05-26-2007, 08:49 AM
Active Enthusiast

do you think i will be ok towing an 18ft aluminum bass boat, how will it do pulling out of the water up the boat ramp, will the trailer hitch void an extended warranty, i saw this on one of the warranty sites that modifications viod the warranty such as a trailer hitch, but since it is rated for towing maybe that wont be the case.

Old 05-26-2007, 08:59 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Thanks for the response and link for more information. You and other experienced posters have provided a ton of information and are a big reason I will be receiving my new Escape Hybrid in two weeks.

Too bad our experience posters can't set up an on-line training course(s). From my exerperience, the two dealerships I visited are still not too knowledgeable about the capabilities of the Escape Hybrid.

Old 05-26-2007, 10:46 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

There can be a sticky situation if you are at a dead stop, and on a LARGE slope... or if you are at a dead stop with your wheels on a rock, curb, chocks, etc.

There is an electric current limiter and/or torque limiter and all torque will be disabled very fast ( like 1 second ) if it detects wheels are not moving when torque is applied. Now, get moving, even just a little, even just a few inches, and you have all the torque in the world... but you must keep the wheels moving.

I tried to use my FEH to pull another vehicle out of an icy patch last winter. I was on dry pavement, with normal traction, but since I could not get moving first, else snap the tow rope ( or worse ), my car wouldn't budge. The other car made a fine anchor.

On the other hand, I saw another guy tow a loaded U-Haul trailer, you know, the giant one with duel axel... like a boxed 8x12, plus luggage on the roof, plus 4 passengers, over a 7% grade at 11,000 ft in Colorado.
I KNOW he had in the range of 3,000 pounds being towed. And he made it.

Once you are moving, this thing has power. Tie it to a mailbox, and it won't budge if the wheels can't move.

-John

Originally Posted by c0ugar69
do you think i will be ok towing an 18ft aluminum bass boat, how will it do pulling out of the water up the boat ramp, will the trailer hitch void an extended warranty, i saw this on one of the warranty sites that modifications viod the warranty such as a trailer hitch, but since it is rated for towing maybe that wont be the case.

Old 05-26-2007, 10:57 PM
Active Enthusiast

so it should be ok as long as i can get moving first which shouldnt be hard since the boat will be part in the water. thanks for all the help