Potential purchase - 2006 FEH

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2013, 09:47 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Potential purchase - 2006 FEH

No,system consists of battery pack,BMS, DC-DC converter, and Charger.Converter raises voltage 51.2v to 270-350 v.Other equipment includes fuses ,temp sensors etc.
Ed

Old 03-19-2013, 04:17 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ed-438
I built another SS case to hold the second 4kw pack. My wife needed a winter car to take her Dobermans to competitions. Since we don't use the back seat, one dog crate can fit on top of the pack and a second crate fits in front of the cases. In the summer we use Ford Ranger EVs whenever possible. The Rangers are limited by their 100 mile range.
The Enginer reliability can be an issue and one has to be prepared to troubleshoot and do your own repairs. IMO the major flaw in the Enginer system was their battery pack and the BMS. I use the MINIBMS by CleanPowerAuto, the same one I use in my all electric Rangers. This equipment eliminated the cell balance problems. I also replaced the 48v charger because the one supplied by Enginer would not fully charge my LiFEPO4 pack. If you don't fully charge the pack, you will have performance issues. Another reliability issue was the way various components, mainly adjustment potentiomers, were placed on the circuit boards. If they were mounted upside-down (in a horizontal view) the adjustment might be clock-wise in one case and CCW in the other. This inconsistency could exist in the same run of CBs. This made adjustments difficult. IMO, The FEH was not as good a platform as the Prius.
You got a background that many of us don't have. Are you a former Enginer "installer" or one to be willing to do so on a FEH?

Old 03-19-2013, 07:12 PM
Enthusiast

Not an installer...just have a lot of experience with batteries. I do my own work on my Ranger EVs, FEH, ICE cars, and RVs but don't have time to work on other people's vehicles.

Old 03-29-2013, 06:58 AM
Enthusiast

Well, I made the leap and purchased it. Was $9400 out the door. Had 102K miles and a lot of options - leather, Nav w/ woofer, sunroof, heated seats/mirrors, etc. Prior owner purchased and serviced vehicle at same dealership and always on time. Very well maintained and dealer put in new 12v battery, brakes, rotors, filters, and shocks prior to sale and prior owner placed nice Michellin tires on it that should have 1/2+ life left.
Based on local market, got a very good deal - most were several thousand more with more miles too. FWIW, Carfax said to add "1500" based on maintenance history which is taken with a large grain of salt but it was the best service record I'd seen.
Knocking on wood that it will stay solid w/o major repairs for a while but really like it so far and am excited to join the group.
Originally Posted by dukenilnil
Hi,

Considering purchasing a 2006 Ford Escape Hyrbid with a little over 100k miles on it. The dealer selling it used was also the dealer that sold it new and did all of the factory scheduled maintanence. Clean Carfax, fwiw, and no accidents on record.

Asking price is $9k. Is that generally a good price? Been a long time since I bought a used car and paying near $10k (once you add in dealer fees and taxes/reg) seems like a lot for something that isn't shiny and new. That said, I am impressed by the stories of longevity this car has and the general fondness people have for it on this forum.

Thanks!

Old 04-05-2013, 08:00 AM
Active Enthusiast

Congrats. Not much goes bad on these things apart from the traction battery actuator, MECS pump, and A/C blend door actuators --- the latter two of which I'll need to be doing soon.