Pulstar Spark Plugs

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2008, 02:58 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Pulstar Spark Plugs

Originally Posted by rxhybrid
OK, and thank you for the oppinions, but any ideas how to test these plugs with a scan gauge?

Thanks

Rick
There is a cylinder balance test you can initiate by sending a mode $06 request in CMNDS. This measures the crank acceleration for each cylinder after it fires and outputs the percent for each cylinder. I can't remember off the top of my head what the test ID is or what the data scaling is, but I'll try to dig it up.

You could run the test with the original plugs, find the weakest cylinder and replace that one with a pulstar and re-run the test to see if anything changes.

Old 04-17-2008, 08:14 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Pulstar Spark Plugs

Originally Posted by rxhybrid
Supposedly that is not a problem. The very intense spark is for a very short duration.

The spark itself is not considered to be the problem, the resultant initial spreading, propagation, of the flame front is. Inital propagation of flame front with standard plug MUST be sideways.

It is my understanding that this has happened in modified cars, and they warn not to use these plugs in modified cars.

And just what might Pulsar's definition of "modified" really mean, manufacturer's firmware year to year changes/revisions, TSBs, etc....??

Is there some thing that can be measured with a scan gauge that can tell me if I have a problem with “hot” pistons or some way of knowing if this will happen before it actually happens?

Your first "warning", if at all, is likely to be years away when the engine is disassembled due to failure and tiny pinholes are discovered in the pistom dome immediately beneath the spark plug anode.

One would think there would be a lot of reports of this happening, because I can’t be the only person who has bought these plugs.

Reports: How many 3-4 year old engines do you suppose get a post-mortem autopsy....??

We will see what happens.

Also, anyone know how much torque to tighten the plugs?

Last edited by wwest; 04-17-2008 at 08:27 AM.
Old 07-06-2008, 08:09 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast