Reasons why ICE won't shut off?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2005, 04:01 AM
Happy Hybrid Owner
Default Re: Reasons why ICE won't shut off?

OK, now I feel better. The last two posts (Ray's, and Hal&Judy's) pretty much describe how my FEH acts in the long term (Hal&Judy's description of their long-term mileage trends), and in the short term (what happened to Ray yesterday). After one horrendous tank, things are back to "good-normal" now (phew!), and next time that happens, I won't sweat it.

I'm going on a road trip tomorrow, to sunny Baltimore for a few days, and am actually looking forward to the drive! See you all next week!

Old 11-01-2005, 04:23 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

...and it certainly is sunny and warmish here this week!

Old 11-01-2005, 03:36 PM
Happy Owner

Sweetbeet,

Thanks for starting this link. We've been lurking of late as we were worried we had been doing something wrong - our mileage has taken a nose dive. Seems all us East Coasters had the same issues this past month - cold and wet weather messing with our FEH's. Like everyone else, this past weekend brought about great results and lots of EV driving.

Old 11-01-2005, 06:20 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Gas Pirates
Seems all us East Coasters had the same issues this past month - cold and wet weather messing with our FEH's.
Well, not ALL... I just recorded my best tank yet - over 35mpg in my AWD!

I just happened to have mostly optimal driving (long trips, expressway speeds with slow EV stretches mixed in) for the majority of the tank.

Old 11-02-2005, 12:07 PM
Prof. of Hybridology

Actually, it occured to me that none of us actually answered the question.

AFAIK, reasons the ICE won't shut off:

1. Engine has just started up. Regardless of everything, the engine always comes on when you turn the key to start up.

2. You're using a "red". Using a setting that's red on the climate controls, Max AC, Defroster, etc. will keep the engine on.

3. The engine area is cold and/or wet. The ICE will come on to warm the engine components/transfer/converters up to maintain performance and keep damage from occuring.

4. Because the battery is charged and you're still charging it. This isn't true, while the Tachometer will show spinning, no fuel is in use, the ICE technically isn't on.

5. Because you pressed down on the pedal. When it determines you need the engine, it will turn it on.