regen system disabled???

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2007, 06:44 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default regen system disabled???

My truck has let out a beep & then given this error a few times. If I shut it down & restart it, everything is usually fine again for months (it has done it probably three times in 12,000 miles).

When it happens, my SG II shows no codes found & it still shows regen on the battery gauge when letting off the gas or braking.

There is a Ford dealer right down the street from where I work, but their service dept sucks so I am very hesitant to take my truck there. I was a mechanic for years & always did all my own mechanical work, but unfortunately that is not really possible on most newer vehicles at this point & I have no experience with Hybrid systems (they didn't exist when I was making my living turning wrenches)

Has anybody else seen this problem & happen to know what the problem might be???

~John

Old 08-03-2007, 07:38 AM
Omnia Gloria Fugit
Default Re: regen system disabled???

Did microsoft write the software for the FEH?

Old 08-03-2007, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by jmorton10
My truck has let out a beep & then given this error a few times. If I shut it down & restart it, everything is usually fine again for months (it has done it probably three times in 12,000 miles).

When it happens, my SG II shows no codes found & it still shows regen on the battery gauge when letting off the gas or braking.

There is a Ford dealer right down the street from where I work, but their service dept sucks so I am very hesitant to take my truck there. I was a mechanic for years & always did all my own mechanical work, but unfortunately that is not really possible on most newer vehicles at this point & I have no experience with Hybrid systems (they didn't exist when I was making my living turning wrenches)

Has anybody else seen this problem & happen to know what the problem might be???

~John
It sounds like your ABS module senses a fault and disables regen. It could be that you need to have the module reflashed, or you could be getting electrical interference with those mods you made. The PCM is located on the other side of the firewall that you replaced that POS GPS with a better unit. The dealership may want claim you voided the warranty and are own your own because there is many warnings in the manuals about this.

Good Luck John

GaryG

Old 08-03-2007, 10:56 AM

The regen is shut down, at least primarily, if the OAT is near, at, or below feezing. An open OAT sensor will result in an extremely OAT. The regen is also shut down the INSTANT your anti-lock braking system, ABS, activates, so a fault in that circuit could result in the regen being shut down. The FEH/MMH's regen "braking", just as would actual engine compression braking, on the front wheels can result in loss of directional control should the roadbed be slippery, and/or it can interfere with the functionality of your ABS.

Old 08-03-2007, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by GaryG
or you could be getting electrical interference with those mods you made.
The first time it did it was before I made any mods, so that's not it.

~John

Old 08-03-2007, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by jmorton10
The first time it did it was before I made any mods, so that's not it.

~John
So, do you think it maybe why someone dumped that used FEH in the first place? These warning lights can be a pain when they reset like your talking about.

GaryG

Old 08-03-2007, 06:53 PM

The truck was traded in on a Cadillac by an older gentleman who was moving from upstate NY to Florida & didn't need 4WD anymore.

I'm not overly concerned about it, after it resets it will go for months without doing it again. I know I can get it warranted if it becomes a problem, but unless it starts doing it a whole lot more I'm not really going to worry about it.

~John

Old 08-04-2007, 04:00 PM
2008 Escape Hybrid Owner

Originally Posted by Mark E Smith
Did microsoft write the software for the FEH?
...if they did, at least we would get an on-line update!